Prevail Helmet Problems?

thelittlebattler

Prevail Helmet Problems?

Postby thelittlebattler » Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:55 am

I've had a s-works prevail helmet for 3 months, and a couple of weeks ago broke the front bar of foam. I was pushing the front into my forehead to squish the sweat out and the foam just let go in two places.

I'll try to get a picture later today, but wondering if anyone else has seen something like this. I'm thinking it's more likely to happen in helmets and areas with minimal plastic shell over the foam

Xplora

Re: Prevail Helmet Problems?

Postby Xplora » Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:55 pm

Sounds like it's better that it happened now, rather than in a crash - but these things aren't supposed to deal with this kind of pushing. If you are in a decent crash, you are supposed to throw the helmet, no questions. There is a good reason I've said so much in the MHL thread - there is a false assumption that your bike helmet is going to protect you like a motorbike helmet. :idea: Clearly the Prevail hits a branch and it's written off?

thelittlebattler

Postby thelittlebattler » Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:25 am

Here we go..

As you can see, the foam hasn't compressed at all. It just hasn't got enough shell to hold it's shape. I wasn't pushing hard at all, I think the focus on minimal weight makes it too fragile for practical real world use.

sir_camel

Postby sir_camel » Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:59 pm

Watching this thread with interest. I have a Prevail and have never had any issues and seems firm in that region. Have you taken it up with Specialized?
Bikes Bikes Bikes

thelittlebattler

Postby thelittlebattler » Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:11 pm

Yep they threw it back at me, called it "user error"

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:40 pm

Uh no. There is no way it could protect your head from an impact if you could collapse it with your fingers.

sir_camel

Postby sir_camel » Fri Dec 12, 2014 5:00 pm

thelittlebattler wrote:Yep they threw it back at me, called it "user error"
I wonder if the people from the Australian Design Standards or whatever the mob who test helmets are called would be interested?
Bikes Bikes Bikes

Pottsy

Postby Pottsy » Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:41 pm

sir_camel wrote:
thelittlebattler wrote:Yep they threw it back at me, called it "user error"
I wonder if the people from the Australian Design Standards or whatever the mob who test helmets are called would be interested?
Well it passed the test already didn't it.

The US version is already different to the Aus prevail. US has a extra hole on the side. Aus helmets failed because of this.

macca33

Postby macca33 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:56 pm

To be fair to Specialized - should I??? - the direction that you've pressed / pushed the foam there isn't the direction it is designed to absorb impact and is why it is so narrow there.

It sucks, but the helmet wasn't designed to be manipulated in that manner.

cheers
CAAD10 Berzerker & Focus Mares & Ridley Noah SL

cage

Postby cage » Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:54 am

+1
That about sums it up.

I have a second foam padding that I just swap out and give the soiled one a gentle hand rinse. Sometime i'll add detergent, sometimes not, just depends how soiled it is.
If drivers and riders spent more time worrying about their responsibilities than their rights then roads would be far safer.

thelittlebattler

Postby thelittlebattler » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:37 am

macca33 wrote:To be fair to Specialized - should I??? - the direction that you've pressed / pushed the foam there isn't the direction it is designed to absorb impact and is why it is so narrow there.

It sucks, but the helmet wasn't designed to be manipulated in that manner.

cheers
I was pretty much pushing straight in from in front, and a little upwards: very similar to if you face-planted. This isn't the point though, obviously the helmet is not going to hold up to a crash, but it should hold up to daily knocks. Hence my premise that it seems like a design fault, having almost pure foam in the most exposed area.

Google searching didn't find any other mentions of problems, so maybe it's just unlucky. I'm just guessing that it wouldn't take much of a drop, or getting squashed in a gear bag for a similar thing to happen.

For the point on AUS/NZ standards, I don't think so. Apparently it's not a common problem, and in any case it won't affect the crash protection at all... It's just annoying.

And on swapping a second foam padding in and out, not really. I do this squeezing thing several times per ride, so it doesn't drip down constantly into my eyes. Maybe it's not so common with bike helmets, but we do it with cricket helmets (it's intended as part of their design)

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:47 am

My $17 helmet from Big W can deal with me pushing on the front to squeeze the sweat out of the pad, to say that a helmet costing several hundred could break from the same movement because of "user error" is a joke. I'd be going to the ACCC or something.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:57 pm

I'm wondering if the helmet didn't suit your head shape, leaving a gap at the front?
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

KGB

Postby KGB » Sun Dec 14, 2014 2:10 pm

I've got one and they are a pretty crap helmet IMO. I wouldn't buy one again.

NhiTrac

Postby NhiTrac » Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:46 am

Can't help with your helmet but if sweat dripping in the eyes is a problem, can I suggest you invest in a Halo headband?

Put this puppy on and you'll never have to press another helmet against your forehead.
FOCUS Cayo
BMC Teammachine SLR01

danny the boy

Postby danny the boy » Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:20 am

Ive got a Bell Volt and i always push on the front to get rid of the sweat from dripping into my sunnies, its never broken and I wouldn't expect it to. This is more evidence of Specialized being a very ordinairy company IMO.