Circus Monkey Hubs

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Circus Monkey Hubs

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:46 am

I'm going for a new wheelset for the interminable commuter build. I'd probably be happy with 6 bolt XT hubs if I could find them...
Does anybody have experience with a Circus Monkey hubs? How have they worked out for you?

Thanks
Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

MichaelB

Re: Circus Monkey Hubs

Postby MichaelB » Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:43 am

I have them on my Volagi Liscio.

The front was swapped out for a Dynamo hub, so I only got about 1500km on it, but had no issues at all.

The rear is still on the bike (HDW3-R) which is the lightest of their disc hubs. The alloy freehub has some marks on it, but then I installed the AM Classic clips for the 10sp cassettes and all good. So far, I have done about 5,000km with minimal attention (i.e. neglect rather than regular maintenance).

The freehub was a bit loud at the start, so I added a bit more grease, and have just redone it again. Easy to do and no dramas were revealed when the internals were opened up.

I have just purchased the 11sp version (HDW3-R+) direct from CM in Taiwan (it took some emails and patience to find out that they had one, but it's pretty new as it isn't even on their latest site update !!!).

So that will be getting relaced into my rear wheel.

If I had the money, I would have gone for w White Industries CLD, but at US$80 vs US$349, it was a no brainer. Weight is about the same as well. Would have gone CL if CM had that option, but they don't :(

Other than that, I'm happy.

mitchy_

Postby mitchy_ » Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:46 am

see if you can find out what bearings they use. some of the cheap taiwanese hubs use odd size bearings (i know the Bitex ones used some odd size)... whereas i know Novatec hubs are pretty run of the mill, so at least if you have a bearing fail you can replace it with something decent/better.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:11 am

Thanks for that, I'll give 'em a go.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:44 am

Shaun, do a search for my name and circus monkey, there are some posts a little while back, I got some good mileage out of them for pure commuter duties (so they were thoroughly flogged in all conditions!).
The bearings did go just before warranty, but they didn't cover them. Had to order replacements which I could never get to work. The bearings are not all easy to get out. Some almost impossible, some easy.
Nutshell: Light, with ok durability. Bearings the definite negative.
I'd do what MB said, just pay a bit more for the quality and easy maintenance.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:35 pm

Thanks Crawf, a day and a bit too late. The GLW pulled the trigger as soon as I mentioned the feedback seemed OK :?

I did mention Whites and Chris King options as a nice way to celebrate the season and got "The Look" as soon as she looked at prices :(

Ah well, If I get a year outta them it gives me time to save for better hubs.
London Boy 29/12/2011