Digital cyclist

il padrone

Digital cyclist

Postby il padrone » Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:30 pm

Digital cyclist ?? The future beyond Google Glass.

http://reconinstruments.com/products/jet/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

3DKiwi

Re: Digital cyclist

Postby 3DKiwi » Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:34 pm

Thanks. Yeah I could go one of these.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:43 pm

Seems to block a fair chunk of one's field of view.

That could have consequences in traffic.

harmonix1234

Postby harmonix1234 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:20 pm

Hate it. Can't wait to hear the overweight middle aged guys on their Di2 equipped Pinarellos riding everywhere at 20kph boasting to about me how they can see their heart rate I bedded in a digital three dimensional plane AND see their elevation in metric data as well as a graph and OH S.HIT!!! I DIDN'T SEE THAT TRUCK!!! Bammo.

Tim

Postby Tim » Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:54 pm

If it helps me avoid riding into the back of parked Federal Police cars while fiddling with a dud GPS (as happened);
I WANT ONE.
No apologies,I love gadgetry.
Fighter pilots have been using similar for ages. Not too many of them have hit a police car. :D

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:09 am

Maybe, just maybe IF it projected onto the inner side of the lens itself rather than having the giant plastic lump in the way
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:12 am

Time will tell eh, as to how it performs, how riders cope, and how the Mk 2 version is reduced futher.
Mandatory helmet law?

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:48 am

I think ANT+ smart phones will eclipse it in battery life, functionality, and total cost.

Also, devices that have displays this close to the eye require a lot of lens accommodation, an ability that deteriorates quickly with age...

and research by Nasa and others show even temporary focusing on data delivery by this method seriously compromises processing of data from the real world (perceived closeness of objects in visual field, rate of change of moving objects, contrast sensitivity).

Compromise of this sort is imho totally incompatible with riding a bicycle on public roads.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:35 am

Like it; like technology :)

Andrew

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:42 pm

I have been waiting for this ever since google glass came out.

Headup display in cars and jets isn't causing the danger which may be assumed. This would be better and safer than a smart phone (eg, in a holder in the car or even on the bike) or even a cycle computer.

Yes, I am sold already however the reality can differ from expectations and product presentations.
Cycling is in my BNA

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:02 am

trailgumby wrote:Seems to block a fair chunk of one's field of view.

That could have consequences in traffic.
Knowing how I look through my glasses when riding, the only chunk of vision that is blocked would be the lower right - basically the view of the road alongside on my right. The only downside for me would be that this is where my rear-view mirror is located. No doubt it is designed for, and by, riders who ride on the right side of the road. We need an adapted model for LHS cyclists ?? :idea:
Mandatory helmet law?

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:13 am

il padrone wrote:We need an adapted model for LHS cyclists ??
I didn't consider this - would be worth seeing how motor vehicles with head-up display do this. I can't decide whether this would have any difference.
Cycling is in my BNA

Scott2468

Postby Scott2468 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:50 am

Mulger bill wrote:Maybe, just maybe IF it projected onto the inner side of the lens itself rather than having the giant plastic lump in the way
I think I could see past the giant plastic lump but not the $860AU purchase price.

tcdev

Postby tcdev » Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:03 pm

I was chatting to my colleagues a few weeks ago about exactly this sort of device. As an electronics design and software engineer, I was musing about potential features I would add. It's a no-brainer that all the usual metrics are available on your heads-up display; just moving the bicycle computer screen off the handlebars and into space a few meters in front of you.

One feature that is a long way off, but I believe is purely a matter of time, is to have a ghost image projected into your field of vision, much like the console car racing video games, of perhaps your 'best' or 'target' time on that same route. So as you look ahead on your ride - or behind you if you're crushing it - you can see where you 'should' be at that point in time. This would require not only accurate GPS, but also highly accurate head positioning hardware in order to render the image at the appropriate point in your field of vision. Of course there are easier - less technical and not so cool - ways to represent this type of data, but there'd be nothing quite like being able to see yourself as you chase yourself down! Of course you could select all manner of pacers, like the current Strava segment KOM/QOM, or your gloating mate's last ride, etc etc.

I don't have an opinion either way on the safety issue - I'll leave that to the experts. No doubt some Australian politician will call for laws to have it banned regardless. And some clown will hack it to read Reddit or stream TV while you're riding...
2015 Giant XTC Advanced 29er 1 (2016 frame)
2011 Schwinn Sporterra Comp
2021 Giant Contend AR1

Arlberg

Postby Arlberg » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:17 pm

This technology is not new, it has already been available in ski goggles for a while such as the Oakley Airwave.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:26 am

Scott2468 wrote:
Mulger bill wrote:Maybe, just maybe IF it projected onto the inner side of the lens itself rather than having the giant plastic lump in the way
I think I could see past the giant plastic lump but not the $860AU purchase price.
At that price I'd think you've got a bargain

Google Glass Explorer
Mandatory helmet law?

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:28 am

Arlberg wrote:This technology is not new, it has already been available in ski goggles for a while such as the Oakley Airwave.
How much is "a while" ?

Because Google Glass has only been available (to US customers) since April/May last year :?
Mandatory helmet law?

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:55 am

Arlberg wrote:This technology is not new, it has already been available in ski goggles for a while such as the Oakley Airwave.
Thanks for that heads up (pun intended :P). I now know the next piece of ski kit I want... When it comes in rainbow or pink. :P

Great idea. The HUD must be out of the important visual area though as I still need to see.

clackers

Postby clackers » Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:12 am

Great ... once developers get on board we can be sharing the road with riders in a bunch doing Minecraft updates!

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:27 pm

Booked in for review in the early new year when the production model is released.
Cycling is in my BNA

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:10 pm

For those who don't like the bulk and obscured vision, go for the Innevega augmented reality contact lenses :shock:

More on the system

Mandatory helmet law?

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:34 pm

harmonix1234 wrote:Hate it. Can't wait to hear the overweight middle aged guys on their Di2 equipped Pinarellos riding everywhere at 20kph boasting to about me how they can see their heart rate I bedded in a digital three dimensional plane AND see their elevation in metric data as well as a graph and OH S.HIT!!! I DIDN'T SEE THAT TRUCK!!! Bammo.

:lol:
You left out their deep dish carbon wheels and srm power meters
Dogs are the best people :wink:

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:15 pm

tcdev wrote:One feature that is a long way off, but I believe is purely a matter of time, is to have a ghost image projected into your field of vision, much like the console car racing video games, of perhaps your 'best' or 'target' time on that same route. So as you look ahead on your ride - or behind you if you're crushing it - you can see where you 'should' be at that point in time. This would require not only accurate GPS, but also highly accurate head positioning hardware in order to render the image at the appropriate point in your field of vision. Of course there are easier - less technical and not so cool - ways to represent this type of data, but there'd be nothing quite like being able to see yourself as you chase yourself down! Of course you could select all manner of pacers, like the current Strava segment KOM/QOM, or your gloating mate's last ride, etc etc.
This feature is available on the garmin 1000...a long way off a hed unit but it does help when chasing a kom on a segment
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.