Rack for a 2009 Giant Defy 1

Aushiker

Rack for a 2009 Giant Defy 1

Postby Aushiker » Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:05 am

I am setting up a 2009 Giant Defy 1 as a commuter and I need some load carrying capacity. I do have a Topeak Explorer w/disc mounts which can work in a pinch ... really needs the disc mounts cut-off however the way the braze-ons are positioned on the seat-stays the mounting brackets interfere with the brake so would need a work around there as well. There is a discussion of this issue over at Road Bike Review

I am aware of seat post clamps such as this one at Pushys.

Anyone had experience with these? Work well?

Besides Tubus racks any suggestions on racks that fit the Defy 1 well. Preferably ones that have a rear light mount for a Busch & Muller taillight.

Thanks
Andrew

MattyK

Re: Rack for a 2009 Giant Defy 1

Postby MattyK » Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:48 pm

I ran my Topeak rack with just the right seatstay arm for this reason, for several years with no problems.

Have since changed to a Tubus Fly that uses the central brake/mudguard mounting bolt location.

Both have euro taillight mounting points.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:16 pm

MattyK wrote:I ran my Topeak rack with just the right seatstay arm for this reason, for several years with no problems.

Have since changed to a Tubus Fly that uses the central brake/mudguard mounting bolt location.

Both have euro taillight mounting points.
Thanks. Might give the Topeak a go and keep the Fly in mind for the next time I do an order of Bike24.

Andrew

irrelevant_apple

Postby irrelevant_apple » Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:29 pm

cheapo solution I've come up with is a cheap sturdy ebay rack with the left arm flipped. Got some p clips from 99bikes which they give free if they're in the mood. The p clips need a bit of forced bending to mold the right shape

Image20141222_120138~01 by irrelevant_apple, on Flickr

Image20141222_130302~01 by irrelevant_apple, on Flickr

Image20141222_130350~01 by irrelevant_apple, on Flickr

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:05 pm

Aushiker wrote:I am setting up a 2009 Giant Defy 1 as a commuter and I need some load carrying capacity. I do have a Topeak Explorer w/disc mounts which can work in a pinch ... really needs the disc mounts cut-off however the way the braze-ons are positioned on the seat-stays the mounting brackets interfere with the brake so would need a work around there as well.
Thanks
Andrew
Have a squiz at the Axiom brand of racks. I just picked up one of their Streamliner Road DLX racks from the LBS for the GhettoGraveller and it mounts on the brake bridge. Plus the bottom mounts set the whole rack well back from the rear axle so you don't clip the panniers with your heels. Works a treat. Only cost me $40. http://www.axiomgear.com/products/gear/ ... -road-dlx/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:00 pm

irrelevant_apple wrote:cheapo solution I've come up with is a cheap sturdy ebay rack with the left arm flipped. Got some p clips from 99bikes which they give free if they're in the mood. The p clips need a bit of forced bending to mold the right shape
Nice work :)

Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:01 pm

silentbutdeadly wrote:Have a squiz at the Axiom brand of racks. I just picked up one of their Streamliner Road DLX racks from the LBS for the GhettoGraveller and it mounts on the brake bridge. Plus the bottom mounts set the whole rack well back from the rear axle so you don't clip the panniers with your heels. Works a treat. Only cost me $40. http://www.axiomgear.com/products/gear/ ... -road-dlx/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks for the suggestion. I have added to the list of options should my modified Topeak not work out.

Andrew