Wheelset for around $400 Swiss side,Prolite,fulcrum ?????

Av05

Wheelset for around $400 Swiss side,Prolite,fulcrum ?????

Postby Av05 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:22 pm

Hi looking for any ideas on for a new set of wheels only have around $400.
I have been looking at the Swiss side Heidi shadow wheelset currently about $410 delivered but i cannot find many reviews for them.
I was also looking at the Prolite Bracciano and the fulcrum racing 5 lg if anyone can recommend anything else or advise of any experience with the wheels i have listed it would be much appreciated.
I currently have a set of fulcrum quattro which are great but are a couple of years old now so would like to try something new.

Thanks any ideas or experiences to share would be great.

MattyK

Re: Wheelset for around $400 Swiss side,Prolite,fulcrum ????

Postby MattyK » Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:45 pm

Can't help with specifics, but there are lots of options in that range.

What exactly don't you like about the Quattros that makes you want to change?
And what sort of riding do you do/prefer (hills or flats)?

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:13 pm

Yeah kind of get it. Got money, will spend. But for $400 you won't see much performance difference from your Quattro's I wouldn't think so its kind of what Matty might be alluding to that its not really until you get up to the $800-1000 where you will notice much more of a difference I believe like the Campy Shamals/Fulcrum Racing zeros, Dura Ace C24 type of thing.

But if I had to pick a couple to try out in that $400 range then it would be the Pro-Lite Braccinano A27s or the Campy Zonda's (I have the Zonda's and they are marginally better than the Fulcrum Racing 5s but not a lot in it). Might come down to what is on special at the time.

Good luck.
2013 BMC TM SLR01;2013/14 Bianchi Inf CV
2013 Lynskey Helix;2013 XACD Ti Di2
2013 Giant TCR Adv SL1;2014 Giant Defy Adv SL

Av05

Postby Av05 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:58 pm

Hi yeah i figured i wouldn't get much better performance around that price. I love the quattros they roll pretty good and never had a problem with them thats why i was looking at the racing 5.The Prolites tend to get a good wrap but i also like the look of the swiss side but would like to see more reviews on them.

The wife wont let me get a new bike so i guess wheels are the next best thing.

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:09 pm

I have 4 wheelsets and my Quattro (CX) are my lightest and 'best'.

You won't do better than the Quattros at that price. Unless they're broken or wobbly I'd stick with them and buy some new tyres. :)
2023 Target: 9.500kms/100,000m
My old blog - A bit of fun :)
"Riding, not racing...completing, not competing"

danny the boy

Postby danny the boy » Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:33 pm

Ive got Fulcrum 3's and Quattro's. It depends on what riding you do, I've been genuinely impressed with the Quattro's for what they are worth. Looking at the actual weights of F5's posted online it looks like a downgrade on what you have already. If your a climber you will probably enjoy the weight saving on the Prolite's.

thecaptn

Postby thecaptn » Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:19 pm

http://www.this link is broken.au/campagnolo-zon ... -wheelset/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:39 pm

Good specs, horrible rear spoke pattern. Call me old-fashioned .....

thecaptn

Postby thecaptn » Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:54 pm

cyclotaur wrote:
They're good strong wheels and pretty good value and yeah you're probably just old fashioned :mrgreen:

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:43 pm

thecaptn wrote:
cyclotaur wrote:
They're good strong wheels and pretty good value and yeah you're probably just old fashioned :mrgreen:
No doubt ... or I have a finely tuned, if more traditional, aesthetic. ;)

wgc138

Postby wgc138 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:31 pm

For around 400, I would get Pro-Lite Braccinano A27 again. They're great wheels for training and climbing. I bought a few set of wheels this year, its not comparing apples to apples considering I can't be bothered swapping tyres, with that being said imo they're a great all rounder.

There're quite a few different takes on assessing wheels, mainly aesthetics which is excellent as it blends in with any bike and weight, this is by far in one of the top two biggest factor, if you just purely comparing weights, its one of the cheapest by the gram.

The first thought when putting these bad boys was how fast I can accelerate considering I had one of the hardest training tyres and stiff around the corners. 10/10 in my book.

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:37 pm

It is fraught with peril to ask for and give wheelset advice without mentioning bodyweight.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Dec 26, 2014 5:22 pm

Av05 wrote:The Prolites tend to get a good wrap but i also like the look of the swiss side but would like to see more reviews on them.
Here are a few which are Australian related. You will find plenty from overseas as well.

Bicycles Network Australia | Stiff, responsive, fast – Swiss
Four Months on the Road with the Swiss Side Franc Wheels
Swiss Side Franc wheelset review
Review: Swiss Side Franc Wheels
Cycling is in my BNA

Av05

Postby Av05 » Fri Dec 26, 2014 6:32 pm

Cheers for all the input i think i will stick with the quattros for now and buy some conti 4000's while things are on sale.

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:01 pm

Adding to this: Prolite A27 vs BDOP kit? 100 g vs wider rim and cheaper (assuming I can manage to buildcthem myself - not afraid to try)

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:31 am

MattyK wrote:Adding to this: Prolite A27 vs BDOP kit? 100 g vs wider rim and cheaper (assuming I can manage to buildcthem myself - not afraid to try)
I have both- that is a hard question to answer, the A27 is zippier, probaby due to the higher spoke tension but rougher, the BDOP kit is smoother due to the wider rim and lower spoke tensions (both wheelsets running 25mm contis). As for quality the BDOP kit is virtually identical quality wise to the A27 BUT needs to be built up properly.

Minor items- the A27 has aero spokes the BDOPs don't (still Sapims though), while the wider rim (XC279) is IMHO better due to being wider allowing a better tyre footprint. The A27 rear hub has the needle bearing in the freehub, the BDOP doesn't. As to longevity- watch this space for both wheelsets.
Oh and I have broken a rear A27- but was an incident with a crack in the PSP and was covered by Main Roads, and broken a spoke on the BDOPs- picked up a stick.

Edit- Strava tells me no difference in performance also

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:54 am

Why is the spoke tension higher in the Pro-Lites? Surely that is just a matter of the build. Did you DIY?

Could I suppose swap aero spokes onto a XC279 rim build, but I doubt I'd notice the difference except on the scales. (and wallet)

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Sun Dec 28, 2014 2:31 pm

MattyK wrote:Why is the spoke tension higher in the Pro-Lites? Surely that is just a matter of the build. Did you DIY?

Could I suppose swap aero spokes onto a XC279 rim build, but I doubt I'd notice the difference except on the scales. (and wallet)
Just what I hear around the traps and the Internets, and it makes sense as to why the Braccs feel so zippy

IMHO swapping the spokes out to aero spokes likely to make a bigger impact on your wallet weight than actual riding performance unless you are sponsored. Like most things in road cycling the biggest hindrance/boost to performance is the condition of the lump of flesh sitting on the saddle.

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:09 pm

True. But my calculator says I can drop a kilo or so off the wheels and tyres.

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:02 pm

MattyK wrote:True. But my calculator says I can drop a kilo or so off the wheels and tyres.
By swapping round spokes to aero? The BDOP wheelset (XC279, novatec hubs, sapim spokes) weighs in at 1600g, Prolites are around 1450g, what else is being changed?

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:17 pm

Sorry no, that was in response to your last sentence. (motor may not be the most powerful but it's about as light as it's going to get)

I meant from my current wheelset, tyres tubes and cassette. About 3400g currently (Alexrims RA30 with a zillion plain spokes, Tiagra cassette and Hutchinson Nitros). Got a set of GP4000SII and Ultegra cassette from Santa. 1500g wheels would get me to about 2400g built up.

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:33 pm

MattyK wrote:Sorry no, that was in response to your last sentence. (motor may not be the most powerful but it's about as light as it's going to get)

I meant from my current wheelset, tyres tubes and cassette. About 3400g currently (Alexrims RA30 with a zillion plain spokes, Tiagra cassette and Hutchinson Nitros). Got a set of GP4000SII and Ultegra cassette from Santa. 1500g wheels would get me to about 2400g built up.
Makes more sense and about what was lost weightwise when I got rid of the Giant branded wheel carpheaps :)

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:40 pm

CKinnard wrote:It is fraught with peril to ask for and give wheelset advice without mentioning bodyweight.
Rider weight, Usage and durability expectations are all important factors when deciding what to buy.

Since the Bracciano A27 has been mentioned above by a few users, I thought it would be a good opportunity to let everyone know that we've just released the Bracciano A27HD (Heavy Duty) for the bigger and/or more powerful riders. Same rim & hubs as the standard model but with a higher spoke count, heavier gauge spokes and brass nipples.

http://www.pro-liteoz.com/store/braccia ... elset.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

SheikYerbouti

Postby SheikYerbouti » Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:32 pm

jacks1071 wrote:Since the Bracciano A27 has been mentioned above by a few users, I thought it would be a good opportunity to let everyone know that we've just released the Bracciano A27HD (Heavy Duty) for the bigger and/or more powerful riders. Same rim & hubs as the standard model but with a higher spoke count, heavier gauge spokes and brass nipples.

Interesting. What's the bigger rider counted as? Are my 90kg on a 180cm body likely to make me look at the HD as an upgrade from Mavic CXP22 rather than the straight A27? It's a 1/3 more expensive outlay for the HD but the higher spoke count sounds good - I chose the CXP22 due to it having 32 spokes compared to my bike's stock 20/24 spokes which I have broken once.

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:01 pm

SheikYerbouti wrote:
jacks1071 wrote:Since the Bracciano A27 has been mentioned above by a few users, I thought it would be a good opportunity to let everyone know that we've just released the Bracciano A27HD (Heavy Duty) for the bigger and/or more powerful riders. Same rim & hubs as the standard model but with a higher spoke count, heavier gauge spokes and brass nipples.

Interesting. What's the bigger rider counted as? Are my 90kg on a 180cm body likely to make me look at the HD as an upgrade from Mavic CXP22 rather than the straight A27? It's a 1/3 more expensive outlay for the HD but the higher spoke count sounds good - I chose the CXP22 due to it having 32 spokes compared to my bike's stock 20/24 spokes which I have broken once.
Good question, although the standard model is considered fine for most users up to 100kg - At this point in time, I would be at least considering the HD model from about 85kg upwards.
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"