Good tyre

alwynsm

Good tyre

Postby alwynsm » Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:38 am

Hi

I am looking for a 700c trye for a road bike, always used Continental Gatorskin, mostly doing a bit of commuting and some training rides.
Any other suggestions?

TCAT

Re: Good tyre

Postby TCAT » Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:47 pm

I guess it depends on what qualities you are looking for in the tyres. I look for a balance between puncture resistance, durability and weight for my road bike. I never push my bike handling limits while riding so can't give any advice on a tyres performance.
I have only used 3 different types of tyres on my road bike. The bike came with Continential Ultra Race. They are very thin, puncture easily and wear very quickly. However they are soft and sticky so probably are great handlers. I then had Schwalbe Marathon Supreme on the rear. I was very happy with this until the casing under the tread failed at around 4,000km. A lot of riders seem to like this tyre however there seem to be a number who have had sidewall failures.
I now have Schwalbe Durano on the rear. Only done about 500km on these but am happy so far.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:58 pm

Gators are hard to go past for the type of riding you say you're doing - they have served me well in exactly the same stuff for years. Sure they're not as grippy as more performance oriented tyres (especially when new as there's a bit of moulding residue which takes a bit of scuffing off), but they're certainly more lively than other durability-oriented things (and far less scary than Vittoria Rubino variants with their hard tread compounds).
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:11 pm

Thanks for the heads up Duck. I've got some used Gators ready to go on and was wondering about their grip levels, that's reassuring.

I've been using Conti GP4000s for years. Had my first puncture in ages last weekend, but the tread on the rear is pretty squared-off so the tread is getting super thin, which probably explains the chunk of glass going through.

The GP4000s are excellent for grip, never had any issues even in the wet. I get probably 5-6000km a set.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:16 pm

I use Continental GP4000s II on both of my road bikes. They grip well and roll nicely. I do however put Mr Tuffy tyre liners inside the tyre:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1018" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.pushys.com.au/mr-tuffy-ultra ... 7-x-1.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Since I've been doing 400-600+km a week over the holidays, I went back to using those because there is so much smashed glass around this area and on motorway shoulders. They seem to do the trick. Some reckon they slow you down, but I doubt it.

MoustacheCyclist

Postby MoustacheCyclist » Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:13 am

Schwalbe is my all time favorite. I only got one puncture after approximately 1000km with my Schwalbe Durano S. Its light, high traction and has excellent puncture protection. Its really cheap too!

alwynsm

Postby alwynsm » Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:08 pm

Went for Schwalbe Durano, thanks for all the feedback.