Recommend me a rear wheel

Waccofozzy

Recommend me a rear wheel

Postby Waccofozzy » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:22 am

I ride a Giant Roam which has CR70 wheels. Suits me well for the type of riding I do except that I'm continually breaking spokes on the real wheel. I would guess that over the last two years I have had at least half the spokes replaced. The funny thing is that as far as I can tell I'm not (any more) being too hard on the equipment, yesterdays failure occurred on a flat stretch of bike path and I wasn't pushing any great speed, just an all too familiar "crack" and sure enough, let go at the nipple.

My LBS told me last time that if I broke another he'd ask Giant to rebuild the wheel but I no longer have confidence in the hardware itself per se. I'm 100kg. Can you recommend a reasonable quality wheel that's not going to cost more than the bike and will fit the 9 speed cassette on the thing? I'd love another bike entirely but that's out of the question at the moment.
I have OFS - Old, Fat and Slow

KGB

Re: Recommend me a rear wheel

Postby KGB » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:34 am

Whats the budget exactly? I'm not sure what a giant roam is worth...

In any case, once you break more than a couple of spokes it's a pretty sure sign that the wheel needs to be rebuilt (or replaced - sometimes a better option).
Is the hub ok and still running smoothly? Choosing a new rim and having it respoked could be an alternative to a new wheel. Especially since youre a bigger rider, this gives you a bit more choice to make a wheel suited to your needs.

Waccofozzy

Postby Waccofozzy » Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:29 am

We're only talking about a $700 bike when new three years ago so I guess the budget would be $200-$250. The hub etc is fine as far as I know, at the very least the wheel spins nice and freely. Maybe larger diameter spokes, although a new rim sounds enticing.
I have OFS - Old, Fat and Slow

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:18 pm

A full spoke replacement with properly balance building will fix it.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.