Fabric ALM Ultimate Saddle?

ItsDank

Fabric ALM Ultimate Saddle?

Postby ItsDank » Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:31 pm

I just bought a $400 saddle. ( http://fabric.cc/shop/saddles/alm/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; )

Buyers remorse has yet to kick in as I was considering some carbon saddles from Fizik prior and if you spend a lot of time on the bike, you want a comfy seat.

Currently I'm spending 20 hours plus in the saddle and actual reviews of this product are scant so I'm taking a bit of a risk with the purchase.

Points of difference:
  • Flexible Aerospace grade UD Carbon Fibre from Airbus
  • Designed by Airbus engineers
  • Unique spring leaf design to dampen bumps
  • Incredibly light (140 grams), made from a single carbon mold using a proprietary process.
I'll let you know how it goes when it comes in.

rabobank89

Re: Fabric ALM Ultimate Saddle?

Postby rabobank89 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:28 am

I have one and love it, however I tend to like narrow hard carbon saddles i.e; Tune, Selle Italia CX Zero, MCFK, Prologo C One.......

Assuming the shape suits you, you should be happy provided you have a good padded chamois. If I am spending 20 hours on the saddle I would stick to the Fizik Arione.. However it doesn't matter what feedback anyone gives you as every individuals rear end suits different saddles.

ItsDank

Postby ItsDank » Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:12 am

rabobank89 wrote:I have one and love it, however I tend to like narrow hard carbon saddles i.e; Tune, Selle Italia CX Zero, MCFK, Prologo C One.......

Assuming the shape suits you, you should be happy provided you have a good padded chamois. If I am spending 20 hours on the saddle I would stick to the Fizik Arione.. However it doesn't matter what feedback anyone gives you as every individuals rear end suits different saddles.
Can you comment on the "leaf spring" feature? How much is absorbed and how much does it actually flex?

Do you have any photos?

rabobank89

Postby rabobank89 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:10 pm

It seems to flex just as much as any other carbon railed saddle really, don't see the major difference of the leaf spring effect as most of the bumps tend to be absorbed by the padding in my knicks so I cant differentiate so much..

To me it seems more of a gimmick than a revelation in saddle design..

I can take a photo when I have time but there are many online ;) I have the LTD version and only paid $350.

At the end of the day if the shape doesn't suit your buttocks, how much it flexes etc won't matter.. I am going to assume you haven't ridden on many saddles before?

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:08 pm

rabobank89 wrote:At the end of the day if the shape doesn't suit your buttocks, how much it flexes etc won't matter..
Bottom line right there. Pun intended.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

ItsDank

Postby ItsDank » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:15 am

Mulger bill wrote:
rabobank89 wrote:At the end of the day if the shape doesn't suit your buttocks, how much it flexes etc won't matter..
Bottom line right there. Pun intended.
It's a $400 dollar saddle. My bum will have to deal with it lol.

ItsDank

Postby ItsDank » Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:20 am

And it's here.

Sorry for the bad photos.

ItsDank

Postby ItsDank » Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:15 pm

[QUOTE=Cape_Horn;16574107]Looks interesting, let us know how it goes.

(which that small issue of the statement - every arse is different, that is why there are some many different types of saddles)[/QUOTE]

Just went to the body mechanic to get this guy installed and I'm glad I did as it's quite slim line and it took a saddle height adjustment upwards with a good amount of rail adjustment to get to my usual fit.

The spring leaf is no joke, you can see it just by pushing downward on the saddle and you and feel the saddle flex a tiny bit on the turbo trainer. I rode it back to the office and with your full weight on it, you simply glide over bumps with suspension.

It's an odd feeling as you get the feedback from the bumps in the handle bar but the saddle flex keeps you from getting the feedback in your ass.

This is pretty profound as the foam upper does little to nothing and essentially you'll need to get bibs that have a relief channel in the chammy if that's your thing (my cuore bibs have this and it's amazing).

It's fair to say that those who would spend 330AUD on this saddle will have no issue getting proper bibs to suit. I'll keep you guys up to date as I ride 24km's a day to work, every day.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:22 pm

That is an expensive bike to be droning in to work on. You haven't thought about buying a cheaper commuter? (n+1 too)
Dogs are the best people :wink:

ItsDank

Postby ItsDank » Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:30 pm

warthog1 wrote:That is an expensive bike to be droning in to work on. You haven't thought about buying a cheaper commuter? (n+1 too)
Once you get use to Dura Ace Di2....it's hard to ride anything else. Ultimate snobbery I know but this thing is a dream to ride on, I actually look forward to getting on the bike each morning because of it. Security isn't an issue with the office building I'm in, it's only our company's staff that has access and it's all rather secure. I keep the bike in the house all other times and I'm insured for the bike and third party on the road through velosure.

I know a commuter would make sense but I'd rather just ride the bike as much as possible rather than only using it on the weekends.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:31 pm

Yeah fair enough. I did the same for a number of years.
You do end up breaking stuff as the k's mount though, that's why I have a cheap goer with heavy components now. It makes the roadie feel like a Ferrari when I get on it.
I'd at least get a set of training wheels
Dogs are the best people :wink:

J Quinton

Postby J Quinton » Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:31 am

Still liking the saddle?

ItsDank

Postby ItsDank » Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:19 pm

J Quinton wrote:Still liking the saddle?
It's certainly one of the better things that I've done for my ass. Did the Bobbin Head Classic without issue (104km) and I use it every day on the commute to work 24km's.

My only other saddle has been OEM and horrible so who knows how it really compares but IMO it's a damn good saddle for the suspension and lightweight feel. Usually comfort and lightness aren't exactly complimentary terms in cycling but it's been flawless so far.

J Quinton

Postby J Quinton » Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:08 am

Good to know. I wonder why they don't make every model in the different sizes?

ItsDank

Postby ItsDank » Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:59 pm

J Quinton wrote:Good to know. I wonder why they don't make every model in the different sizes?
Not sure, I mean it's easy for me as the saddle fits rather well whilst I ride but who knows, for someone else it may not.