Recommending inexpensive bike computers

Duck!
Expert

Re: Recommending inexpensive bike computers

Postby Duck! » Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:40 pm

The computer on my daly hack commuter bike is a ~17 y.o. wired Cateye Mity 2, which is on its second bike. It's a little bit touchy on its contacts now, but once on the sweet spot it stays and is as reliable as ever. My other roadie has a Cateye Mity 8 (which is 10 years old, 'cos I got it with the bike!), also wired, same set of functions, just a different body, and that too has not missed a beat.

I do however use a Bryton GPS on my MTB & HPV (swap the one unit between both). The GPS comes into its own in the trike because wheel-based computers are a bloody pain to get working - the little wheels spinning so fast can confuse the signalling, running off the back doesn't work 'cos the chassis spacing doesn't get the sensor/magnet gap close enough, and running off a front wheel causes it to drop out whenever you corner a certain way because steering changes the sensor gap too..... The GPS isn't entirely problem-free though; the signal drift, partially induced by programmed satellite error and partially by the unit's sampling rate can cause double lap-tripping if another section of track is close to the programmed lap trigger point. Which is annoying when you've done a 6-hour race & trying to run through the lap data to see how everyone rode & you've got split laps (a short & a longer) instead of full laps in the chart.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

troyww

Postby troyww » Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:09 am

I bought both my my wife and I wireless Sigma units and worked great for a bout a year then they just went downhill fast . The wired cateye strada on my commuter is about 5 years old and hasn't ever failed apart from having to buy another spoke magnet due to it falling off and a couple of batteries . I'll be steering clear of wireless and getting another wired cateye . I also have a wired sigma on my sons bike but the magnet pickup assembly is too bulky to fit between the wheel and spokes on a racer . Shame , as that is super cheap and easy to read . Wired/wireless doesn't make much difference to me , I'd prefer the cost and reliability of wired .
I've been using an el-cheapo single ear bluetooth dongle in my helmet to give me 1km lap times from endomondo on my phone . Not intrusive and a bit motivational for me at least .

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:29 am

I used a wireless Sigma before I started using the cateye micro wireless. The Sigma was rubbish the Cateye is a much better alternative.

klr_rider1

Postby klr_rider1 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:28 am

Aldi is selling a cheap bicycle computer for $9.99 this coming Saturday with other bicycle gear on sale as well.

caneye

Postby caneye » Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:50 am

i'm using a basic VDO bike comp. Basic functions - speed, distance, time, clock, etc...
Picked it up for ~$30.
No dramas setting it up. No issues using it thus far.

Only wished it could measure cadence.

tron07

Postby tron07 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:47 pm

klr_rider1 wrote:Aldi is selling a cheap bicycle computer for $9.99 this coming Saturday with other bicycle gear on sale as well.
I bought this wireless computer as well, Speedometer, Odometer, Tripmeter, Clock, CO2 measurement and lot of mumbo jumbo. :mrgreen:

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:16 pm

tron07 wrote:
klr_rider1 wrote:Aldi is selling a cheap bicycle computer for $9.99 this coming Saturday with other bicycle gear on sale as well.
I bought this wireless computer as well, Speedometer, Odometer, Tripmeter, Clock, CO2 measurement and lot of mumbo jumbo. :mrgreen:
That's about $1 a function - bargain
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

Mediocratus

Postby Mediocratus » Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:45 pm

I got a cheapo $10 computer off Ebay which does all I need. It has odo, trip, speed, time and a lot of other functions I don't use. At that price you don't have to worry about it getting broken if you crash or it being stolen while you have a coffee or toilet stop.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:31 pm

The question I ask about these super cheap ones is durability, which will be tested out by riding in the rain

Mediocratus

Postby Mediocratus » Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:01 pm

mikesbytes wrote:The question I ask about these super cheap ones is durability, which will be tested out by riding in the rain
Durability is probably little or none but at $10 that isn't a disaster.

klr_rider1

Postby klr_rider1 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:18 am

I bought a cheap bicycle computer on ebay from China 2 years ago. It is still working, though I had to replace the battery.

The only instructions that came with it were in Chinese! I do not read Chinese, but I read up on bicycle computers and I managed to set up the clock and the speed in Kmh. That is all I need.

The Aldi bicycle computers have their instructions in English.

The Big W bicycle computers marketed under the Repco brand also have their instructions in English.

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:09 pm

Thought I'd come back and resurrect this thread!

So, I have been using the Cateye wired Strada for quite a while. I bought a new mount to see if that would improve things. Still having issues with drop out, very irritating.

When I tried the Cateye Strada wireless it would drop out a lot, and at certain places it would drop out every time, this was particularly the case near tram lines with their 600 volt overheads. I figure this was interference.

However, I have noticed that the Cateye Strada Digital Wireless uses a different frequency which is supposed to be much better at avoiding interference. Specifically it uses 2.4GHz digital technology if that means anything. Anyone have any idea whether this would really improve the reliability?

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

davesday

Postby davesday » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:21 pm

DavidS wrote:However, I have noticed that the Cateye Strada Digital Wireless uses a different frequency which is supposed to be much better at avoiding interference. Specifically it uses 2.4GHz digital technology if that means anything. Anyone have any idea whether this would really improve the reliability?
DS
2.4GHz ISM band is the 'hotspot' for most Wi-Fi devices and infrastructures, Bluetooth devices, ANT+ devices (if I'm not mistaken) and even your microwave ;-). In fact a lot of recreational remote controlled toys also use 2.4GHz. This band is considered extremely crowded. Having said that the band is just a physical radio spectrum. The other part depends on the radio coding used. Some are more resistant than others so it depends on what Cateye use.

One way to improve reliability is to minimise the distance between sensors and receiver (keeping the reception strong). Make sure batteries have sufficient charge. There's no other way to improve other than hacking it and tampering with the antennas (something you don't want to venture into if you're not sure).

cage

Postby cage » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:46 pm

I've been using a Strada Digital for 6 months now & the only issue I've had is the past couple of weeks the speed readout flashes on my morning commute. It works fine on the ride home though so I've put it down to one of the batteries might be getting low and the cold morning temps. as I leave home at 5.15am
If drivers and riders spent more time worrying about their responsibilities than their rights then roads would be far safer.

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:08 am

Thanks for the replies. I know little about this but my speculation is that the standard wireless just transmits a simple signal each time that the magnet passes the sensor and would transmit that same signal to any other wireless strada within distance. The impression I get is that the digital wireless transmits further partly because the signal is coded to only transmit to your head unit and similarly the head unit will only recognise signals from your sensor. That, and the frequency, should presumably make it more reliable.

I really am somewhat pissed off that the wired strada isn't totally reliable. It would be so simple to just increase the size of the electrical contacts or, even better, just wire the cable straight into the head unit. The problem would be immediately and conclusively solved by just hard wiring the whole thing. It is a great design with an obvious weakness, why they went for such small electrical contacts when this will be used outside in all weather is beyond me.

I might go for it and get a digital wireless and see how I go. All I'm after is a nice reliable computer with a few functions. Don't really need cadence but why not. Heart rate I might use once if I can be bothered but not really interested.

DS

davesday

Postby davesday » Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:59 pm

DavidS wrote:Thanks for the replies. I know little about this but my speculation is that the standard wireless just transmits a simple signal each time that the magnet passes the sensor and would transmit that same signal to any other wireless strada within distance. The impression I get is that the digital wireless transmits further partly because the signal is coded to only transmit to your head unit and similarly the head unit will only recognise signals from your sensor. That, and the frequency, should presumably make it more reliable.
DS
Just read that Cateye Strada Wireless isn't using ANT+ so it will be proprietary coding.

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:20 pm

Sounds like it is worth a try. I'll order one and see how I go.

DS

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:48 pm

Time to see how the Strada digital wireless goes. Arrived today, fitted on the bike, now let's see if tram overhead voltage interferes with it.

If this one doesn't work I have no idea what I'll do.

DS

willytboy

Postby willytboy » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:55 am

I bought a cheap cycling computer from Aldi once, and let me tell you it was so inaccurate the whole unit was terrible. Decided to purchase a Garmin Edge 500 on sale for $169 couldn't be more happy. But some of the pro cycling teams still use the Edge 500 for training.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:03 pm

$169 is a bargain, where did you get it?

bikefun

Postby bikefun » Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:47 pm

recommend bryton rider100 which costs AUD 109.95 only with shipping cost included. http://www.cyclingexpress.com/en/produc ... mount.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

rumble11

Postby rumble11 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:16 pm

Thread resurrection.
I bought the Garmin Edge 200 about four years ago. It ran faultlessly for four years. It has a very reliable GPS and uploads directly to Strava via Garmin connect. It survived countless crashes and had brilliant battery life. I paid $130 for it four years ago. It is basic but does the job - very well.

I lost it on the weekend and went searching for a new one. I found that they are more expensive now so on principle I'm searching for an alternative which brought me here. Anyone used a Bryton 310?

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:21 pm

Some of the members here are currently doing a review of the Bryton computers

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Sat Feb 27, 2016 4:02 pm

I have the Rider 310T for review. So far I've used it for a week alongside my Garmin Edge 1000 on the commuter. It'll be some weeks off but will post a full review.
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

klr_rider1

Postby klr_rider1 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:29 pm

Aldi will be selling a cheap solar powered wireless bicycle computer, as well as other cycling gear.

See: https://www.aldi.com.au/en/special-buys ... wed-9-mar/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;