Brand new bike already needs new disc brakes?

Pippi

Brand new bike already needs new disc brakes?

Postby Pippi » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:44 pm

Hi everyone,

Forgive me if this is in the wrong section. I've been trawling through this website a lot since I bought a bike six weeks ago (mainly for cycle touring) and I thought it's about time I joined up. I have an Avanti Circa 2 - as someone who has never before owned a bike, getting this one was a big deal. I wanted something good, but not tooo good... I've been having some troubles however (the wheel felt funny) and I took it to the shop and they called me saying they had to replace the disc brakes! I find this strange because it's so new, I've only done about 1000km on it. The guy said that it's nothing I've "done" sometimes things get on them and wear them out really quickly.

Is it normal to need new disc brakes so soon, or is my technique wrong? I have a lot to learn and sometimes it's really overwhelming when I don't know what to do. I mean, I only just learnt how to actually change a tyre, that's how new I am...

nezumi

Re: Brand new bike already needs new disc brakes?

Postby nezumi » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:39 pm

When talking about disc brakes, there are three separate components - the brake pads, the rotor and the calliper.

It's entirely possible that the brake pads could have experienced abnormally high wear, especially if you ride in muddy or dusty conditions. The other factor in this is the material that makes up the pad - some last longer than others, however the ones that wear fastest generally should have better braking performance.

If it's the rotor I would be surprised, unless some damage had been done to it by grit on the pads.

If it's the callipers... there's something not right there!
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4
2015 Merida Scultura 5000

mitchy_

Postby mitchy_ » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:43 pm

as above, more info required...

some pads turn to goop very quickly when you add water and dirt. that's the nautre of the pad compound though... something like a sintered compound would be better suited if you ride in the wet/mud a bit.

Marx

Postby Marx » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:00 pm

I've worked it out!!!
Brake pads!
Sometimes you can get a solvent or lubricant onto the disk or brake pads, this then 'absorbs'/contaminants the brakes pads, so regardless of how well clean/wash/degrease/etc them, the brake pads will never work as well as they're designed to. So you have to replace the brake pads.
-----------------------
A bike and a place to ride.

mitchy_

Postby mitchy_ » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:18 pm

Marx wrote:I've worked it out!!!
Brake pads!
Sometimes you can get a solvent or lubricant onto the disk or brake pads, this then 'absorbs'/contaminants the brakes pads, so regardless of how well clean/wash/degrease/etc them, the brake pads will never work as well as they're designed to. So you have to replace the brake pads.
you can burn the contaminate off.. stick them on a low heat bbq plate until the smoke stops.

Pippi

Postby Pippi » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:20 pm

Thanks everyone for the replies! Yes, they were brake pads I think. I'm still getting used to all these terms... They set me back maybe around 40$ (I forget now). Could I have gotten some de-greaser on it? I was trying to be really careful when cleaning the chain, but I suppose that's a possibility. And I've mostly been doing dirt roads with the bike, so it makes sense if things are wearing out. As long as I'm not doing anything wrong, then it's all good!

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:57 pm

I've been there with contaminating pads while cleaning the bike. Too easy to do.

These days I drop a clean rag over the brakes front and rear to protect them.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:21 pm

Or better yet, if the chain is grubby enough to warrant degreaser, spray the stuff on a rag & then clean the chain that way.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

Pippi

Postby Pippi » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:23 pm

Will do. The people at the bike store told me to be super careful but I didn't realise that perhaps even the tiniest bit would destroy it. I was pretty liberal with my application because the chain was super dirty.