Wahoo Kickr

lynskey_rider

Wahoo Kickr

Postby lynskey_rider » Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:54 pm

Hi guys,
Been thinking about the purchase of a Wahoo Kickr for a few months, to aid in my training over winter for an Ironman.
As you probably already know, the price is steep ($1399) and like quite a few things in the cycling industry, are set to increase in price to $1499 over the next few weeks.
I'm just looking for advice on them from anyone that has used it for great deal of time. Interested in the following:

How do they hold up over time? Am i likely to get 5-10 years out it?

How do the power readings compare to a Stages or Quarq power meter? Are they within a narrow margin of error and provide consistent readings?

Does the feel of the Kickr feel similar to a mag trainer or more of a ride like feel? Unfortunately i can't try one in advance.

Thanks in advance!

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Re: Wahoo Kickr

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:25 am

They've only been on the market for 2 years, so longevity is yet to be tested. They appear to be mechanically robustly built but it's hard to know on the electromechanical and firmware side of things. Only time will tell. There are a few being starting to be used in some training studios which are the best tests of trainer robustness, but no where near as common as the bullet proof and ubiquitous Computrainers in that market space.

Accuracy does appear to vary unit to unit and you may need to check their calibration app.
Wahoo are also now in beta test stage with an app permitting a user's own power meter to adjust the resistance controller.

lynskey_rider

Postby lynskey_rider » Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:14 am

Thanks Alex,
That second comment sounds very interesting. Ideally, I just want a consistent power measurement (don't we all), with the actual numbers on the screen being of slightly lesser concern. Cheers!

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:09 am

lynskey_rider wrote:Thanks Alex,
That second comment sounds very interesting. Ideally, I just want a consistent power measurement (don't we all), with the actual numbers on the screen being of slightly lesser concern. Cheers!
Based on my reading (I haven't used one myself but I do tend to stay well read on such things) then I'd say you'll be fine. Just follow the instructions for roll down calibrations. I've recommended the Kickr to others as a viable option.

There is a way to adjust the belt tension if you really wanted to nail down its absolute accuracy.

Dirty32

Postby Dirty32 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:38 am

There is another thread on the Wahoo Kickr (couple of pages long from memory) on here already, if you have a look around / search.
Likely to provide the info you are looking for.