Suggestions for a Front Light.

Storm Boy

Postby Storm Boy » Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:06 pm

Hi All,

I'm looking for a new "be seen" front light. I currently run a Knog Blinder 4 at 80 lumens (rear is a Blinder Road 4)) but would like suggestions for one that is a fair bit brighter. I have a bright Ebay light with a large battery pack if I am doing serious night riding, so this new one is for my daytime commute or perhaps for pre-dawn starts. USB charging is a must. I've been eyeing off the Knog Blinder Arc 5.5 at 550 lumens, does anyone have this light or similar ones that would work well? Budget is up to $100.

http://www.this link is broken.au/knog-blinder-a ... ont-light/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regards,

SB
Last edited by Storm Boy on Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

CXCommuter

Re: Suggestions for a Front Light.

Postby CXCommuter » Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:54 pm

Lezyne- lots to choose from- my super drive XL is 2 years old and still going strong and bright

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:34 pm

What are your requirements for size, weight, style, and whether you care about dazzling oncomers?

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:28 pm

$100 seems like overkill for a be-seen light.
I don't have any experience with these, but they look more appropriate: http://www.knog.com.au/bike/lights/be-s ... ights.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Storm Boy

Postby Storm Boy » Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:49 pm

Size is not really an issue, provided the battery is not separate. I am currently running the Blinder 4 on the front, but at certain places on my commute I feel I could be better seen. At one of these places a cyclist was killed last year. It is a busy intersection where you can watch the drivers looking for a gap in the traffic to sneak through. I am always very wary of this intersection.

I'm not out to dazzle cars, but if the light is too bright I can always aim it down, bearing in mind it's primary use would be in the daytime. A light like the little Blinder 4 is pretty good and seems bright at first, but out in the bright sunshine and from a distance, it loses some of its apparent brightness.

I do rather like the Knog lights with USB charging, but other USB lights will definitely be considered.

Regards,

SB

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:49 pm

I love the Cateye volt 300. A great light with good output, long burn time and is USB rechargeable.

caneye

Postby caneye » Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:09 pm

also consider the knog road2 blinder, as reviewed below:

http://www.bicycles.net.au/2013/07/blin ... 2-blinder/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

frankn

Postby frankn » Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:27 am

I use a Lenzene Macro Duo. LED, USB, 400 Lumens. Works well for commuting and light trail work
http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/reviews/ ... -light-set" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MrFaulty

Postby MrFaulty » Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:21 am

I run an LED lenser M7R which I had to buy a bike mount for. It is a bit heavy, expensive (about $140), but great and people will definitely see you. Also the fact that it has a rechargable Li-ion battery which runs for 3hrs is a big plus for me. Sure the cost is up there but you only buy it once

grimbo

Postby grimbo » Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:09 pm

I've had good performance and reliability from cygolite, available from Cell: http://www.this link is broken/Cygolite-Co ... -SL-2W_801

Also heard good things about moon.
"If I can bicycle, I bicycle" ~David Attenborough

Storm Boy

Postby Storm Boy » Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:33 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions, it's decision time now :-)

Regards,

SB

rangersac

Postby rangersac » Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:58 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:I love the Cateye volt 300. A great light with good output, long burn time and is USB rechargeable.
+1. For the price the performance and functionality is outstanding
De Rosa Macro | Intense Primer | Wayward Cape York | Cotic Rocket

hiflange

Postby hiflange » Sat Feb 14, 2015 1:28 am

Fly12 is up today on Kickstarter, light and camera in one ..http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fly ... nav_search" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

duncan16v

Postby duncan16v » Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:06 pm

+1 for the Cateye Volt 300. I run a pair which gives me loads of well-directed light (I ride an unlit bike path on my commute. Love them to bits! The batteries lasts for ages on the SuperFlash setting - and they're great value.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:01 pm

Storm Boy wrote:I'm not out to dazzle cars, but if the light is too bright I can always aim it down, bearing in mind it's primary use would be in the daytime.

If you want to be seen BIGGER IS BETTER than brighter. Bright looks like a reflection.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:35 pm

Somewhat depends on whether you are riding on the roads I imagine. On a PSP you only need others to see you pretty much from a very narrowfront.Whereas on the road network hazards are spread all around you. And are far more dangerous.

I see a lot of lights that are dazzling in their intensity from the very narrow front but suck elsewhere. Would it be cycnical of me to think those are just for people with !!! spammer !!! envy?

On the better side I think I that am lately seeing a few more rear lights that have a reasonable spread. Not before time, I feel the manufacturers have been at fault in the rarity of wide-spread tail lights..
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

kokoman

Postby kokoman » Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:42 pm

another +1 for the Cateye Volt300, best value I've seen.

mogwaiboi

Postby mogwaiboi » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:20 am

Had one of these for nearly a year now http://www.moon-sport.com/product-detail.php?id=7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Started using it instead of my Ayups as I prefer a light with the battery incorporated. It's been faultless, around $100 these days.
Avoiding pissed of bogans in SUV's...

Storm Boy

Postby Storm Boy » Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:16 pm

Thanks for all the help.

I ended up ordering a Knog Road 3 today. It has twin lights along with a large selection of modes, including combination flashing and steady light. There are brighter lights, but I already have an ebay searchlight with separate battery pack if I am doing a longer night ride. The Knog is completely waterproof, USB rechargeable and has an output of 300 lumens. I have three other Knog lights which I have not had a problem with, so we'll see how this one goes :-)

Cheers!

SB

Storm Boy

Postby Storm Boy » Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:40 pm

A little feedback on the Knog Road 3. It works well for my application, and has a number of useful modes. I have not had any real issues with the strap slipping on the bars as some owners report. The light does not have as much peripheral lighting as others, but car drivers ahead if the light certainly notice it, as can be seen from their driving behaviour in not pulling out ahead of the cyclist.
The light is quite bright enough for flat cycling (it is rated at 300 lumens), even half brightness is fine. It is however not bright enough for fast descents in darkness, or for MTB; if you do either of these things, I'd recommend a brighter light.
For a compact USB light for general dawn/dusk riding or commuting, it does just fine.

Regards,

SB

GAV!N

Postby GAV!N » Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:21 pm

mogwaiboi wrote:Had one of these for nearly a year now http://www.moon-sport.com/product-detail.php?id=7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Started using it instead of my Ayups as I prefer a light with the battery incorporated. It's been faultless, around $100 these days.
Ditto. Got the same one and it's been great. Good size/lights/weight etc, and rechargeable.

carcharias

Postby carcharias » Mon May 18, 2015 5:32 pm

http://www.cyclingdeal.com.au/buy/s12-b ... men/XE-S12" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If the Knog does not work out....These are a total bargain.

tomee

Postby tomee » Tue May 19, 2015 9:23 am

Storm Boy wrote:A little feedback on the Knog Road 3. It works well for my application, and has a number of useful modes. I have not had any real issues with the strap slipping on the bars as some owners report. The light does not have as much peripheral lighting as others, but car drivers ahead if the light certainly notice it, as can be seen from their driving behaviour in not pulling out ahead of the cyclist.
The light is quite bright enough for flat cycling (it is rated at 300 lumens), even half brightness is fine. It is however not bright enough for fast descents in darkness, or for MTB; if you do either of these things, I'd recommend a brighter light.
For a compact USB light for general dawn/dusk riding or commuting, it does just fine.

Regards,

SB
i have one and exactly my thoughts.

last night i commuted home a little later than normal and the light struggled on a unlit bike path. Luckily i had someone behind me with a Exposure Diablo which lit the way for me. Had a chat with the bloke and thanked him. I asked him the cost of the light and was shocked, $260!

rusty842

Postby rusty842 » Tue May 19, 2015 11:35 am

tomee wrote:
Storm Boy wrote:A little feedback on the Knog Road 3. It works well for my application, and has a number of useful modes. I have not had any real issues with the strap slipping on the bars as some owners report. The light does not have as much peripheral lighting as others, but car drivers ahead if the light certainly notice it, as can be seen from their driving behaviour in not pulling out ahead of the cyclist.

Regards,

SB
i have one and exactly my thoughts.

last night i commuted home a little later than normal and the light struggled on a unlit bike path. Luckily i had someone behind me with a Exposure Diablo which lit the way for me. Had a chat with the bloke and thanked him. I asked him the cost of the light and was shocked, $260!
Exposure are great lights. However are greatly expensive. I bought the strada road specific light and have people follow me all the time.

If you ride rarely in the dark it's not worth it. Most of my riding is in the pitch black so for $350 from wiggle I'm happy to spend that. Small outlay considering a 5k bike purchase.

But when I rode home from work around sunset a $30 light is all I needed and was suited perfectly.