Midlife crisis. Giant Prop Adv 1, Cervelo S2, Ferrari...

Dr_Mutley

Midlife crisis. Giant Prop Adv 1, Cervelo S2, Ferrari...

Postby Dr_Mutley » Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:55 am

Storm Boy wrote:
Customer service and bike fit from Steve at Corsa Cycle Centre (Adelaide) has also been exceptional - highly recommended too.

Regards,

SB
U pay close to RRP for it though!

Awesome u love the new ride! Welcome to the club [emoji106] keep us updated hoe u fair with the Wheels adaptors.... I've found them recurrently noisey in the past with SRAM GXP...

Storm Boy

Re: Midlife crisis. Giant Prop Adv 1, Cervelo S2, Ferrari...

Postby Storm Boy » Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:14 pm

Dr_Mutley wrote:
Storm Boy wrote:
Customer service and bike fit from Steve at Corsa Cycle Centre (Adelaide) has also been exceptional - highly recommended too.

Regards,

SB

Awesome u love the new ride! Welcome to the club [emoji106] keep us updated hoe u fair with the Wheels adaptors.... I've found them recurrently noisey in the past with SRAM GXP...
Thanks for the welcome :D

They came down a few hundred $ in price, plus had a proper bike fit. Was looking on line for less $ but decided to go with the store for sizing and backup. Time will tell with the adapters :-)

Regards,

SB

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:36 pm

Dr_Mutley wrote:The S2 is the best looking cervelo they make!!

Having said that, by your self description, do u really need an aero race bike? Some in the all-rounder, more comfortable bike a better choice? Ie R3?
I reckon the S1 is one of the nicer ones. And P5 of course is the king of them all, but I'm biased because I'm lucky enough to have one. :)

Anyhow, for the OP, Giant make pretty good bikes, and their support is great. I don't have any allegiances to any bike manufacturers, as I've got Cervelo P5, Trek Madone, Specialized Langster Pro and and very light Giant TCR Advanced SL1.

As for aero versus normal frame, if the aero one isn't any heavier, then go for that.

Sharkey

Postby Sharkey » Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:50 pm

warthog1 wrote:
queequeg wrote:
The only real issue with the Hillbrick is that the world has largely moved on from 1" threaded headsets, and as the frame was a freebie it is not quite the right size for me. Other than that it is a lovely ride that I built myself.
Will see how I go with the Financial Controller :-)
Fair enough, ditch it :)
I thought it was an old keepsake you'd had for ages.
I'd like an old steelie myself for the occasional quiet ride, much like this one;
Sharkey wrote:
I don't think you find them laying around everywhere though :(
I didn't see this thread when it started earlier this year. Interestingly the Pinarello was actually a mid life crisis bike (well, 50th birthday present) suggested by my wife. It cost somewhere around the $3k budget that the OP has but I purchased all the parts and built it myself, so it is not something you could buy at your LBS.

For me it is the perfect mid life crisis bike. It is not significantly slower than my carbon di2 bike and even if it was I wouldn't care because I love riding it. In fact it is parked in my house and it puts a smile on my face every time I look at it.

Dreams V Reallity

Postby Dreams V Reallity » Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:23 pm

The folks on the 'Retro' threads can probably fill your pockets with old steelies, or the bits to build your own.
D V R
Still Dreaming.

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:28 pm

Storm Boy wrote:
Dr_Mutley wrote:
Storm Boy wrote:

Regards,

SB

Thanks for the welcome :D

They came down a few hundred $ in price, plus had a proper bike fit. Was looking on line for less $ but decided to go with the store for sizing and backup. Time will tell with the adapters :-)

Regards,

SB
Good methodology there... It's hard to get a decent bike fit in Adelaide, and steve at Corsa is one of the better ones in Adelaide... Given they are the only Cervelo dealer in Adelaide they don't move much on $$ because they don't have to... I saved $2k by buying interstate which is a pain, but if u already have your fit down pat, and do your own servicing then it's a good option [emoji106]

I'll keep an eye out for a pimped out S2 getting around town [emoji106]

(Don't forget to put up some pics in the cervelo forum so we can admire it too! The S2 is the best colorway of them all IMO!)

Storm Boy

Postby Storm Boy » Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:51 pm

Happy to post some pics in due course :)

I rather like the colours too. I haven't seen any other similar S2s as yet but maybe as the weather warms up people will get out more.

Regards,

SB

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:22 am

g-boaf wrote:
Dr_Mutley wrote:The S2 is the best looking cervelo they make!!

Having said that, by your self description, do u really need an aero race bike? Some in the all-rounder, more comfortable bike a better choice? Ie R3?
I reckon the S1 is one of the nicer ones. And R5 of course is the king of them all, but I'm biased because I'm lucky enough to have one. :)
Cos I'm biased too :lol:

S series are nice looking bikes, and the S2 is the better one for sure.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:55 am

Sharkey wrote:
warthog1 wrote:
queequeg wrote:
The only real issue with the Hillbrick is that the world has largely moved on from 1" threaded headsets, and as the frame was a freebie it is not quite the right size for me. Other than that it is a lovely ride that I built myself.
Will see how I go with the Financial Controller :-)
Fair enough, ditch it :)
I thought it was an old keepsake you'd had for ages.
I'd like an old steelie myself for the occasional quiet ride, much like this one;
Sharkey wrote:
I don't think you find them laying around everywhere though :(
I didn't see this thread when it started earlier this year. Interestingly the Pinarello was actually a mid life crisis bike (well, 50th birthday present) suggested by my wife. It cost somewhere around the $3k budget that the OP has but I purchased all the parts and built it myself, so it is not something you could buy at your LBS.

For me it is the perfect mid life crisis bike. It is not significantly slower than my carbon di2 bike and even if it was I wouldn't care because I love riding it. In fact it is parked in my house and it puts a smile on my face every time I look at it.
Very nice bike, well done
Dogs are the best people :wink:

Storm Boy

Postby Storm Boy » Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:38 pm

If anyone is wondering what the new S2/S3 are like for comfort, I did 125 km/1000m on the S2 this morning, no discomfort at all. It certainly works fine over longer distances. Loving the bike :-)

Regards,

SB

Storm Boy

Postby Storm Boy » Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:11 pm

Dr_Mutley, here is a pic. I've also posted it in the Cervelo forum :)

It hasn't been cleaned since a ride in the drizzle yesterday, so please forgive any marks :D

Regards,

SB