Midlife crisis. Giant Prop Adv 1, Cervelo S2, Ferrari...

simonn

Postby simonn » Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:40 pm

For various reasons my wife is insisting I get a midlife crisis bicycle (I am not even close to affording a Ferrari :lol:).

Want to get from LBS as due to kid I just want to be able to take it to them and say fix it with no worries. I just do not have the time for more than a gear tweak anymore. I do not really want to spend more than $3000 (yeah, even in mid-life crisis, sad) mostly due to not wanting to fork out loads in insurance and $3000 is about my limit for self-insurance. And, by going by who I ride with I'd probably be mid pack C grade on a good day, so I am dubious about the incremental benefits of spending more.

So, just going by specs, I am looking at mid-range-ish Giant or bottom of the range Cervelo.

So far the Giant Propel Advanced 1 or Cervelo S2. Going by specs the S2 is equivalent of the Giant Propel Advanced 2. Not sure about wheels because the Giants are giant branded, but I am concerned about the 16h front (I'm ~75kg). The Fulcrum 5s on the Cervelo are not amazing, but comparable to the Pro-lite Braccianos I have at the moment. So is the Cervelo frame really worth an extra ~$800 over the Giant? Surely I'd be better going for the Giant PA1 and putting the ~$400 saved towards some better wheels...(or a race license).

I'm not so concerned over fit, because I doubt either of them are so unique that I could not get comfortable on either of them - a good side effect of my midlife crisis is the fact that I now have a reasonably strong core due to a couple of years of PT in the gym :) (if I could just stop my love of beer and pizza, I might even be able to get a 6-pack :lol:).

Anyway, ramble, ramble...

Opinions on either of these bikes? Cervelo vs Giant etc..? Aero frames vs normal etc etc?

Nikolai

Re: Midlife crisis. Giant Prop Adv 1, Cervelo S2, Ferrari...

Postby Nikolai » Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:06 pm

Too many Giants around

SeanD380

Postby SeanD380 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:33 pm

Has to be the Cervelo, I have an S3 and love it.

As Nikolai says, to many Giants around.
2015 Focus Cayo 3.0 Disc
2015 Cervelo S3

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:42 pm

I have an S5. That giant is a great bike for the money, I'd be more than happy with it.
The whole aero frame thing is mainly marketing IMO.
There is more speed in an aero set of wheels than a frame I reckon.
That said I'm still happy with my S5, it's stiff around the bb and I like it's firm ride.
Ride a few bikes and buy what's nicest to ride.
Giant are the largest frame manufacturer in the world AFAIK and make frames for many "exclusive" brands. I like their anti-exclusivity :)
(Is that inclusivity? :? )
Last edited by warthog1 on Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:45 pm

Which one looks better in the reflection from the cafe window?
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

2wheels_mond

Postby 2wheels_mond » Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:40 pm

Buy one that looks nice and fits well, and most importantly one that will still look nice and fit well in ten years time.

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:11 am

The S2 is the best looking cervelo they make!!

Having said that, by your self description, do u really need an aero race bike? Some in the all-rounder, more comfortable bike a better choice? Ie R3?

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:13 pm

Midlife crisis wheels FTW. You will probably enjoy a groupset upgrade and 1100 gram wheels more than the new bike.

simonn

Postby simonn » Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:20 pm

Dr_Mutley wrote:The S2 is the best looking cervelo they make!!
Correct (IMHO).
Having said that, by your self description, do u really need an aero race bike? Some in the all-rounder, more comfortable bike a better choice? Ie R3?
Well, I dunno, that's why I am seeking other people's opinions :). I have only ridden normal frames though. Riding around a parking lot is not going to tell me a lot and no shop is going to lend me a bike for 6 months so I can really get a feel for it.

The riders I ride with who I would most like to be like when I grow up have S?s, or other aero-type frames and they swear by them. Problem is I am slightly on the short side and ride a 52 - most blokes seem to be 54-56 so I can't really, really, properly go for a test ride despite the kind offers. I don't need a all-rounder/long distance bike as I have my Van Nicholas for that. So, this bike IS for speed and not much else - tues/thurs and sat training rides, and maybe the odd West Head race as they seem to be doing day licenses again (yay!). I've spend hours on a bike seat doing audax rides, so I am not overly concerned with comfort for 2-3, even 4-5 hour rides. However, I live in Northern Beaches of Sydney, where hills are a way of life rather than an option, and t'internet reports that aero bikes are not climbers (Why? Heavier? Surely the frame/non-dymnamic weight is not going to be that much different?), so maybe I would be better with a more standard bike...?

I suppose I am trying to ascertain if aero vs normal really makes a difference...?

Xplora wrote:Midlife crisis wheels FTW. You will probably enjoy a groupset upgrade and 1100 gram wheels more than the new bike.
Well, there is always xmas for wheels ;). Then again that's also another thing... Cervelo S/R2(i.e. 105) and put the savings towards some better wheels (Fulcrum 1/0), rather than go ultegra...?

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:48 pm

Sounds like you wan't aero. The giant is the most aero AFAIK and is a killer price.
It would only be weight with respect to climbing. No probs with the way my S5 goes up hills.

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:37 am

Well if u have a climbing/distance bike already then aero it is, and the S2 is a nice ride... Same as the S3 except a smidge heavier (but nicer color scheme!)... But surely if your buying an aero frame to go fast u would put aero/fast wheels on it! Ie 50mm minimum carbons... Look a bit silly putting climbing wheels on an aero roadbike?! (Ie zeros etc)

If your in Sydney, there must be some cervelo test bikes around? Ride an s3, ride an r3/5 and compare... The S2/R2 will ride similarly as with cervelo it's really only the weight that changes between models....

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:55 am

SeanD380 wrote:Has to be the Cervelo, I have an S3 and love it.

As Nikolai says, to many Giants around.
I saw a newly built up S5 on the weekend (at the NWSCC Post-Ride meet up), and it was a pure stealth beast. My poor steel Hillbrick started to rust in the corner with jealously. I have been leaning towards getting a Lynskey frame to replace the Hillbrick (which was a freebie frame I had restored 5 years ago) and swapping all the components over, but I really want to get rid of the cable clutter up front.

So, current thinking is to get an S3 Ultegra (Mech), then sell or part out the Hillbrick to offset some of the costs. Of course, that all depends on whether or not bonuses come through in April, but if it does then it lines up nicely with my birthday. If not, the Hillbrick will have to do for another year.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:13 am

Giant will be a great bike. No troubles there. Cervelo are great too (I have one, but not an S series).

Aero is good, but aero wheels will give you more of a benefit. However, standard alloy wheels are most practical.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:40 am

queequeg wrote:
I saw a newly built up S5 on the weekend (at the NWSCC Post-Ride meet up), and it was a pure stealth beast. My poor steel Hillbrick started to rust in the corner with jealously. I have been leaning towards getting a Lynskey frame to replace the Hillbrick (which was a freebie frame I had restored 5 years ago) and swapping all the components over, but I really want to get rid of the cable clutter up front.

So, current thinking is to get an S3 Ultegra (Mech), then sell or part out the Hillbrick to offset some of the costs. Of course, that all depends on whether or not bonuses come through in April, but if it does then it lines up nicely with my birthday. If not, the Hillbrick will have to do for another year.
I wouldn't get rid of the hillbrick, I reckon you'd regret it later on.
My S5 has had more hits than the Beatles now and is worth next to nothing. The amount of sticks, rocks and carp that gets thrown up on bunch rides has left marks everywhere. I've also gouged the bb area after chain drop (catcher now) and the rear derailleur dropped into the rear wheel when the hanger broke and the derailler locked up the rear wheel on scraping its way past the seat stay.
I love the way the cervelo rides but at the end of the day its a disposable item due to it's plummeting value.
Next fast roadie will be a generic Chinese frame and groupo from Wiggle, c r c et al.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:44 am

warthog1 wrote:
queequeg wrote:

I wouldn't get rid of the hillbrick, I reckon you'd regret it later on.
My S5 has had more hits than the Beatles now and is worth next to nothing. The amount of sticks, rocks and carp that gets thrown up on bunch rides has left marks everywhere. I've also gouged the bb area after chain drop (catcher now) and the rear derailleur dropped into the rear wheel when the hanger broke and the derailler locked up the rear wheel on scraping its way past the seat stay.
I love the way the cervelo rides but at the end of the day its a disposable item due to it's plummeting value.
Next fast roadie will be a generic Chinese frame and groupo from Wiggle, c r c et al.
The only real issue with the Hillbrick is that the world has largely moved on from 1" threaded headsets, and as the frame was a freebie it is not quite the right size for me. Other than that it is a lovely ride that I built myself.
Will see how I go with the Financial Controller :-)

Grgic

Postby Grgic » Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:04 pm

GCN did a bit of a comparison between Aero and Normal. YMMV

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlz52XW6CMM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.strava.com/athletes/3420668? ... ce=top-nav" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:16 pm

....at the end of the day, it's how it looks parked at the cafe next to all the other bikes :-)

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:21 pm

queequeg wrote:
The only real issue with the Hillbrick is that the world has largely moved on from 1" threaded headsets, and as the frame was a freebie it is not quite the right size for me. Other than that it is a lovely ride that I built myself.
Will see how I go with the Financial Controller :-)
Fair enough, ditch it :)
I thought it was an old keepsake you'd had for ages.
I'd like an old steelie myself for the occasional quiet ride, much like this one;
Sharkey wrote:
I don't think you find them laying around everywhere though :(

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:31 pm

If I were having a midlife crisis, my tastes would be more along the lines of a custom built steelie - bundy, baum etc, or a titanium lynskey, for a modern bike or a gorgeous classic like Sharkey's pinarello. The later is a bit hard to find in the correct (midget) size for me.
Anything you can do, I can do slower

PatNZ

Postby PatNZ » Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:44 pm

find_bruce wrote:If I were having a midlife crisis, my tastes would be more along the lines of a custom built steelie - bundy, baum etc, or a titanium lynskey, for a modern bike or a gorgeous classic like Sharkey's pinarello. The later is a bit hard to find in the correct (midget) size for me.
Theres a midget sized Miyata at the local bike shed. Not sure that its quite as fancy as what some would want for a midlife crisis.

Parker

Postby Parker » Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:24 pm

Why does everyone think they're fat and that wheels can't handle 75kg?

I think you need to up your midlife crisis a bit and try harder.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:01 pm

Grgic wrote:GCN did a bit of a comparison between Aero and Normal. YMMV

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlz52XW6CMM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Pretty good clip, thanks. :)
They did say during it that frames were well down the order of aero drag behind rider position, helmet, clothing and wheels.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:23 pm

So get a twee skinsuit and some zipp 808s lol

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:40 pm

Xplora wrote:So get a twee skinsuit and some zipp 808s lol
I have a skinsuit aerohelmet and disc + deep front for tt's thanks :wink:
However the point is the diff between the two bikes was probably largely down to the wheels.

Storm Boy

Postby Storm Boy » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:10 am

I've had a 2015 S2 for a couple of weeks and am very impressed with it, although my only comparison is to my old aluminium Merida Ride 93 (2013). The S2 is absolutely, definitely, no question, faster when climbing or descending, and also noticeably faster when giving it some on the flats. When just cruising along, it is pretty comfortable, definitely no worse than the Merida. The BB is so much stiffer it is not funny, and I managed a PB the very first hill climb I did on it, without even really trying too hard. Longest ride so far is 55km and 1100m vertical, but plan on an 80-100km ride tomorrow.

I've had the FSA mid compact crank taken off and a 5800 105 (compact) crank put on, using the Wheels Manufacturing adapter. The brakes have also been changed to 5800, so the bike now has a full 105 groupset. Wheels are Hadron 485s. The bike looks great and goes well, I'm absolutely loving it :D I can definitely recommend it.

Customer service and bike fit from Steve at Corsa Cycle Centre (Adelaide) has also been exceptional - highly recommended too.

Regards,

SB