New Front Light suggestions

RonK

Re: New Front Light suggestions

Postby RonK » Tue May 12, 2015 10:40 pm

MattyK wrote:OK, they do state it's an approximation of the regulations. I am arguing that tilting the light down is absolutely nothing like the regulations. It resembles one poorly worded (as I understand it) part of the regulation with regards to how lights should be aimed, but tilting down a symmetric beam has a very different (and adverse) effect on the light for the rider.
As we have already established, the objective of the test methodology is to establish the visibility of the light to the observer, not the effectiveness to the rider. And once again, the wording used is "approximation".

I don't know why they chose to limit their test to this particular methodology, but I suspect a sales analysis would confirm the obvious answer the question. And it's quite valid for those who want a light to be seen by.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Wed May 13, 2015 12:07 am

RonK wrote:
MattyK wrote:OK, they do state it's an approximation of the regulations. I am arguing that tilting the light down is absolutely nothing like the regulations. It resembles one poorly worded (as I understand it) part of the regulation with regards to how lights should be aimed, but tilting down a symmetric beam has a very different (and adverse) effect on the light for the rider.
As we have already established, the objective of the test methodology is to establish the visibility of the light to the observer, not the effectiveness to the rider.
Yes, and I think that's a crap objective.

Once you're seen, you're seen. Saying one light gets 85 points and another gets 86 points is meaningless. Especially when the test observers are DELIBERATELY LOOKING AT THE LIGHT. The point of "being seen" is to attract attention to yourself away from other sources.
I don't know why they chose to limit their test to this particular methodology, but I suspect a sales analysis would confirm the obvious answer the question. And it's quite valid for those who want a light to be seen by.
There would only be one effective way to conduct a "be seen" test properly, and it would require unwitting test subjects and not telling them what they were actually looking for (say in a sea of car headlights). Then afterwards you ask them "did you see the bike light?". Of course you need about a thousand test subjects because when you've done the test once you can't do it again - you'll be looking for the light.

As for the side view test - I can't think of one circumstance where I would be seen from 50 metres at 45 degrees, and be in any sort of danger. 20 metres at 60-75 degrees, probably way more relevant.

As an aside I used to own the exact Cateye lights they first recommended back in 2005. Nearly got me killed at least twice from cars pulling out of side streets.

Ross

Postby Ross » Wed May 13, 2015 11:15 am

^^I agree. This methodology that RO used is something that Daily Telegraph or ACA would use to test lights.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed May 13, 2015 2:03 pm

RonK wrote:
Bunged Knee wrote:Not from Choice but only one reviewer is from Choice and the rest is from RMIT and BNV. RideOn magazine is published for Bicycle Network (Victoria)

Top 150 front and rear bike lights 2015. https://rideonmagazine.com.au/top-150-bike-lights-2015/
Seems to me the article is far more balanced than some of the comments posted here.
Seems to me the article lacks a great slab of balance. Not a single dynamo light reviewed at all. That certainly closes down the market.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

tomee

Postby tomee » Fri May 15, 2015 3:15 pm

anyone have experience with FYXO bright light?

Blakeylonger

Postby Blakeylonger » Fri May 15, 2015 3:42 pm

tomee wrote:anyone have experience with FYXO bright light?
use it offroad.

use it on road or on bike paths and every other road user will think you are a prime douchenozzle. If you angle it down far enough to avoid blinding everyone else on the road you'll make the foreground so bright it'll washout and ruin your vision for the things you actually want to see.

carcharias

Postby carcharias » Mon May 18, 2015 12:25 am

The FYXO 'King Bright is a re-branded Zeccon Spiker 1211.Have not used one, but Zeccon are great "bang for buck" lights. Are a big OEM supplier, if you don't mind a separates set-up.

carcharias

Postby carcharias » Mon May 18, 2015 12:37 am

Moon X-POWER 330 S, X-POWER 400. 330 S has narrower beam than the 400, both USB rechargable, good run times. The 400 is available for $95. :twisted:

Widget

Postby Widget » Mon May 18, 2015 3:29 am

Thanks for the feedback guys :)

i ended up getting the Lifeline USB Double Beam.. though it seems DoA, so will be sending back for replacement.

carcharias

Postby carcharias » Mon May 18, 2015 3:02 pm

There is a Tioga deal (Tioga Photon Mini 1000) at the moment for about $70. It's a separates light. Looks to be great value. Also the FYXO 'King Bright is indeed... 'king Bright.

slowK

Postby slowK » Wed May 20, 2015 6:45 pm

Widget wrote:Thanks for the feedback guys :)

i ended up getting the Lifeline USB Double Beam.. though it seems DoA, so will be sending back for replacement.
That's a bummer. I've been very happy with mine. Hopefully an isolated issue.

Widget

Postby Widget » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:13 pm

slowK wrote:
Widget wrote:Thanks for the feedback guys :)

That's a bummer. I've been very happy with mine. Hopefully an isolated issue.
isolated, received replacement and works :) .. now just need to put my bike back together so I can use it :)

caneye

Postby caneye » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:20 pm

Does anyone know of an alternative to Light Motion VIS 360 helmet light?

This has been my favourite commuting light this winter. I'm gutted that I broke the mini-USB tab and can no longer charge it :cry: :roll:
It's bright enough to be used as a TO-SEE light (primary source of light) and TO-BE-SEEN light (when in blinking mode).

http://www.pushys.com.au/light-motion-v ... ilver.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dr_Mutley

New Front Light suggestions

Postby Dr_Mutley » Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:26 pm

4 months on since I started this thread and I must admit I love my exposure toro mk6. I had a few issues with the new capacitive switch, but exposure's support was awesome and attentive in sorting things out... I can't believe I ran my old, dodgy, outdated Ayups for so long....

I love the fact I can run the toro on 1800 lumens for 2 hours if I need grunt, or back off the lumens in 30 odd steps all the way back to 24hrs run time.... The Flash mode is brilliant.., has an optional smart port on the back so u can plug remote switches into it, or use its battery to quickly top up your garmin, tail light, iphone, or any other rechargeable device.... Mount is great.... Engineering is first class..... Give it a thought of u are looking for something durable/reliable, in the $300 price range....

kb

Postby kb » Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:47 pm

And they still work after being driven over :-)

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:01 pm

kb wrote:And they still work after being driven over :-)
They are very sturdy, but still lightweight, so I could believe that!

Belly68

Postby Belly68 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:26 pm

Can any comment on the Light and Motion urban 800 fast charge?