Louis Garneau road shoes

warthog1

Louis Garneau road shoes

Postby warthog1 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:53 pm

A bloke at work has a pair of Louis Garneau LS-100 road shoes which he describes as very comfortable;
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/LOUIS-GARNEA ... 0942553095
They are also reasonably priced when compared to most other brands.
Anyone else got any feedback on them?
Dogs are the best people :wink:

AndyRevill

Re: Louis Garneau road shoes

Postby AndyRevill » Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:18 pm

Haven't worn that model but I bought a pair of LGs secondhand as a cheap way to get me converted from SPDs to SPD-SL and they seemed to be a tad small in sizing. I take a 46 in every pair of shoes I have, including the Bontrager road shoes I have now, but the LGs seemed to be about a half size down. Just something to consider.

Cheers, Andy
Trek 1.7 dec.
Trek Domane 4.5

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:08 pm

I would suggest they are on the narrow side.... People mention Shimano shoes for being narrow, yet I find my Shimano MTB shoes a little wide in the heel. My LG road shoes are quite a nice fit around the heel (hence narrower even than Shimano), similar in width further forward (size 40 in both).

One good feature (well two really) is that they are a lot better vented through the soles than most others. Supplementary to this is the interchangeable insoles - "Cool Stuff" which are essentially a foam mesh to allow lots of airflow to the soles of the feet, and "Hot Stuff" non-vented soles that shut off the airflow for those cooler days.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

AndyRevill

Postby AndyRevill » Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:27 pm

Duck! wrote:I would suggest they are on the narrow side.... People mention Shimano shoes for being narrow, yet I find my Shimano MTB shoes a little wide in the heel. My LG road shoes are quite a nice fit around the heel (hence narrower even than Shimano), similar in width further forward (size 40 in both).

One good feature (well two really) is that they are a lot better vented through the soles than most others. Supplementary to this is the interchangeable insoles - "Cool Stuff" which are essentially a foam mesh to allow lots of airflow to the soles of the feet, and "Hot Stuff" non-vented soles that shut off the airflow for those cooler days.
Yep could be narrow rather than small. I agree about the insoles, it's a really nice feature. If they'd fitted better I wouldn't haven't changed, everything else about them was really nice.

Andy
Trek 1.7 dec.
Trek Domane 4.5

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:34 pm

Thanks fellas. They are really cheap at evans cycles at the moment but they wont ship them to Aus :(

colinmc400

Postby colinmc400 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:21 am

I have the LG 2LS road shoes, which look a close relation to the LS100 and after much searching have found them comfortable. I have slightly wide feet and found the Sidi Ergo 3's i had before quite narrow and the LG's are wider than those. I also have a pair of Spesh S Work shoes in a wide fit and actually find the LG more comfortable, as there seems to be a bit more passing in them. I like em so much, i am going to buy a pair of the LS100 shoes for the winter, when i am in the US next month.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:05 pm

Thanks, my feet are not wide, not super narrow either.
Once we get over the latest financial hurdle, daughter's braces, I'll give them a crack. If they aren't the best I'll use them to commute in. The current shimanos I use for that are over 10 years old and pretty ragged.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:16 pm

Prompted by this thread, I had a look at these shoes. The LS-100 fit me really well in 46 (same size as my Sidi's). I then looked a bit further and found the Carbon ones at a very attractive price, so thought I'd try them on. But when browsing, noticed thast the LS-100 are a 'standard fit' and the Carbon LS-100 and above are 'racer fit', but no info on the LG website as to what that means.

It turns out (and confirmed by LG themselves) that the Carbon LS-100 and above are indeed a smaller fit, so in my case that meant I needed the next size up (EU47) over the the std LS-100.

So, if you end up going my thought path, beware.

Still tossing up ovcer these or the Bont Blitz

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:48 pm

MichaelB wrote:Prompted by this thread, I had a look at these shoes. The LS-100 fit me really well in 46 (same size as my Sidi's). I then looked a bit further and found the Carbon ones at a very attractive price, so thought I'd try them on. But when browsing, noticed thast the LS-100 are a 'standard fit' and the Carbon LS-100 and above are 'racer fit', but no info on the LG website as to what that means.

It turns out (and confirmed by LG themselves) that the Carbon LS-100 and above are indeed a smaller fit, so in my case that meant I needed the next size up (EU47) over the the std LS-100.

So, if you end up going my thought path, beware.

Still tossing up ovcer these or the Bont Blitz
Thanks Michael :)
I have sidis in a 45 which are a good fit, so really relevant comment cheers.
In what way were they smaller? Shorter, narrower or both?

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:39 pm

warthog1 wrote:
Thanks Michael :)
I have sidis in a 45 which are a good fit, so really relevant comment cheers.
In what way were they smaller? Shorter, narrower or both?
The LS-100 in 46 fit beautifully.

With the Carbon LS-100 (haven't tried the 2LS as no one has them in stock), the 46 was narrow and felt shorter. Going the size up meant that it was much better, but still felt a bit more constricted, but still good.

As much as a 5 min try on in a shop was worth, that's what I noticed. You only really find out on a 2+ hour ride whether that 5 min 'feeling' was correct.

I found the LS-100 online for $159, the LS-100 carbon for $189 and the 2LS for $295 (all local stores and with free shipping) !!!

So I'm torn between the Bont Blitz at $300 (but I can get my preferred neon yellow colour) or the carbon LS-100/2LS in white.

:? :? :? :? :?

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:10 pm

MichaelB wrote:
The LS-100 in 46 fit beautifully.

With the Carbon LS-100 (haven't tried the 2LS as no one has them in stock), the 46 was narrow and felt shorter. Going the size up meant that it was much better, but still felt a bit more constricted, but still good.

As much as a 5 min try on in a shop was worth, that's what I noticed. You only really find out on a 2+ hour ride whether that 5 min 'feeling' was correct.

I found the LS-100 online for $159, the LS-100 carbon for $189 and the 2LS for $295 (all local stores and with free shipping) !!!

So I'm torn between the Bont Blitz at $300 (but I can get my preferred neon yellow colour) or the carbon LS-100/2LS in white.

:? :? :? :? :?
Thanks again :)
I have a narrowish foot so the carbon might be alright for me. My old sidi 5.5's could be a little narrower, particularly in the heel.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:24 pm

I'd try them if you get a chance first. Or make sure the return policy is good.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:49 pm

MichaelB wrote:I'd try them if you get a chance first. Or make sure the return policy is good.
I dont live in a capital city and it will probably be a surreptitious purchase, delivered to the work po box :oops:

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:06 pm

Well I ordered the carbon ls100's from pushys last night sight unseen. I double checked my old sidis and I have 1cm ish of length there in a sz 45 so went with 45. I'll see how they go. Thanks for your help Michael :)

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:42 am

Duck! wrote:I would suggest they are on the narrow side.... People mention Shimano shoes for being narrow, yet I find my Shimano MTB shoes a little wide in the heel. My LG road shoes are quite a nice fit around the heel (hence narrower even than Shimano), similar in width further forward (size 40 in both).

Spot on Duck. :)
I got 'em yesterday and haven't ridden in them yet. Just trying them on though they feel a bit more snug around the ball of the foot and possibly heel than my sidis. The sidis are 6 years old however.
Length feels very similar maybe a couple of mm shorter.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:08 am

Thread necro time :lol:

After my recent fail with the Bont Vaypor S, and other shoe shenanigans, I ended up browsing and looking for some replacement 'commuter shoes' and got reaquanted with the LG SLS-100, coz on Pushy's they were a ridiculous $60 !! :shock: :shock:

Couldn't help myself. They will arrive in a day or two now :mrgreen:

Abby

Postby Abby » Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:40 pm

Yep - I am looking at the Louis Garneau shoes as well!!

Feeling nervous about sizing. My Diadora Jet Racers are size 43 & are supremely comfortable - but they are a leather upper and thus have stretched nicely to accommodate my foot. SO thinking about maybe going size 44 with the LG's as they are a 'synthetic leather' upper & probably won't stretch...
Twitter / Instagram: @cgradecyclist

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:50 am

Abby wrote:....
Feeling nervous about sizing. ....
At $60, you can't go much wrong. They'll be my commuter shoes for me.

They are still current and a local store of mine have them, and was able to try again to make sure. They have them reduced to $169 .....

The LS-100 (not the Carbon LS-100 or 2LS) are the wider ones, but still not for wide feet. That said, I had 46 Sidi Pro5's and they fitted well too.