ALDI bike sale

BackAfter44 Years

ALDI bike sale

Postby BackAfter44 Years » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:50 am

Have just returned to serious cycling after 44 years (trying to lose weight) and had a bit of a spend up at ALDI. I bought the helmet for $20, which I am happy with. The lights for $30 were also excellent as you can charge them up from a computer, though the front and back lights require different connections. The computer at $10 was great, though I found I had to replace the battery in the part that goes on the forks after about 4 hours, though you can buy these on eBay for as little as 20c each so be interesting how long these last.

I was intending to buy the bike for around $130, but every store I went to said they were sold out. Has anybody out there actually bought one? Maybe the bike doesn't exist, or they don't want to sell them in case they are returned as faulty :wink:

I was even tempted to buy some of the clothes, but at 61 years of age and 90+kg, I didn't think I would look to good (why do they always have pictures of trim, young men and women in catalogs - give me a 50+ bloke with a beer gut anytime) , but the weight is coming off, so I might reconsider. Anybody bought the cloths or any other of the equipment?

lobstermash

Re: ALDI bike sale

Postby lobstermash » Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:02 pm

The clothes are usually the mainstay of what Aldi puts out. This is the first time I've seen them do cooler weather cycling kit, but I've picked up the summer stuff the last couple of years. Last October's gear is pretty so-so, with the stitching coming undone pretty quickly on the jerseys, which were only 1/3 zip, and a rather unforgiving Italian chamois on the knicks. The year before is still my favourite kit of all my gear, with full zip jersey, 2 large practical jersey pockets and knee length comfortable knicks.

The cooler weather clothes seem to be a return to form - it seems to be really well made, with nice material, 2/3 zip, deep, practical pockets and comfy knicks. My only criticism of the recent stuff is that the jersey arms are a little baggy (and I guess it's a little warm for the arvo ride home in Autumn).

Re the bikes, they're generally pretty on par with your average department store bike. Be happy you didn't get one.

Mediocratus

Postby Mediocratus » Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:13 pm

BackAfter44 Years wrote: I was intending to buy the bike for around $130, but every store I went to said they were sold out. Has anybody out there actually bought one?
See here for a discussion on dept store bikes.
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=51119" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The general impression is that supermarket and discount store bikes are a waste of money.

rpmspinman

Postby rpmspinman » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:37 pm

Id wait & save a bit longer and buy a better entry level bike, or look in the member sales area for a second hand decent unit.
Cheers
Shav

My Bikes:
2011 Kona Dew Plus (commuter)
2012 Focus Cayo 2.0 (road)
2015 Cervelo S5 VWD

kukamunga

Postby kukamunga » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:15 pm

If you are even half-serious about cycling, and unless you are apt at bicycle mechanics, and you can carry the boxed, unbuilt bike out of the store by yourself unaided, steer well clear of department store bikes - cheap, heavy, poor materials, one-size-fits-few, poorly built, unpleasurable and inefficient to ride, high maintenance and parts replacement costs

Start with a half-decent bike, helmet, lights, stiff-soled shoes and a comfy pair of riding shorts

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:47 pm

Agreed, supermarket bikes in Australia account for over half of the bikes sold, but what percentage of supermarket bikes do you actually see being used, in my case far fewer the 5%. I highly recommend going to a bike store and you can go for an entry level budget bike which will be miles ahead of a supermarket bike.

For interest, the Aldi bikes are branded 'crane' which is not a brand name rather these are bikes sourced and branded specifically for Aldi. The last one I saw was veing returned to an Aldi store by a disgruntled customer, the good thing is that the Aldi Store returns policy / proceedure is customer friendly.

However for other bike gear I have heard good reports (and it is otherwise a great store for groceries).
Cycling is in my BNA

Scott2468

Postby Scott2468 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:33 pm

Am I sitting on the fence?

I agree and disagree.

Agreed, Supermarket bikes are fundamentally rubbish.

Back in 2003, I could not keep up exercisising my dog. So I bought a brand new $80 bike. We ran and rode with bliss. I rediscovered the joy of cycling from my childhood. Soon the bike failed in total. I was hooked.

Never looked back since. I ride wiz bang new stuff, resto classics, commuters, Mtb, fixed touring.

Was the supermarket bike failure?

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:13 am

Scott2468 wrote:Was the supermarket bike failure?
Yes.. but the story is a success. Well done.

Certainly a great story for discussion, in the context of the forum and providing information for new riders it is probably one step further where people have discovered a 'need' or 'want' in cycling so worthwhile recommending a local bike shop bike. There are a number of budget brands as well that have low prices so it is easier now to get a cheaper bike with 'fair' quality.
Cycling is in my BNA

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:09 am

I bought a long sleeve top at the last sale. I wish I'd bought 3 more. Nice fit....typically German. Waiting on a you beaut rapha l/s top atm. Will be interesting to compare. I think the Aldi at 30 bucks will out do it. Just a shame about the colour choice....I don't dig on stripes, and like a bit of brightness in my day