Secteur

passp

Secteur

Postby passp » Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:40 pm

Hey,

new to cycling, just purchased a 2014 Specialized Secteur Elite, heard good and bad things about it! my question is im not the biggest fan of its up right position would anyone suggest for me to purchase a smaller head set for it? is it hard to install? just wondering! I like the bike and the way it rides but wouldn't mind the bars dropped just that bit

thanks

jasonc

Re: Secteur

Postby jasonc » Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:41 pm

is it possible to flip the stem? (or have you already done that?)

passp

Postby passp » Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:57 pm

no I haven't done that? ive never done that, any info on how I could do this? or If I can? thanks

2wheels_mond

Postby 2wheels_mond » Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:05 pm

Unscrew all the bolts on the stem, turn it upside down, screw it back on again.

passp

Postby passp » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:39 pm

I tried p, the stem is already on the low side, tried removing spacers from the head set but the actual stem of the bike is too long. Any other suggestions?

passp

Postby passp » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:04 am

would getting a new stem be worth it?

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:46 am

passp wrote:I tried p, the stem is already on the low side, tried removing spacers from the head set but the actual stem of the bike is too long. Any other suggestions?
You don't just remove them. You have to remove them and put the stem on then the spacers on top to fill out the steerer. You will get a bit of the steerer protruding on top which you can cut later if you like the new position.

You can do a few things:
- Longer stem which will make you reach out further - it feels lower.
- Buy a new stem that has more of a 'drop' (bigger angle) and point that sucker downwards.
- Ride on drops all the time.

If either doesn't work I would suggest not spending anymore and getting a new bike. There are only so many things you can do to adjust position before you make severe compromises. The secteur is by nature a relaxed geometry bike on the very relaxed side of things. It sounds like you aren't too familiar with bike geometry and parts, I would suggest getting the bike shop you bought it at to help you out with the issues.
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
Bike crushed by car (RIP)
No brakes bike
Ebike

passp

Postby passp » Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:25 am

ye im a newbie as stated, I found a video on putting the spacers at the tope, ill try that! im not too fussed with it for now! its my first bike to get me into in and im happy with it just wouldn't mind a more racier stance, but ill do this spacer suggestion for now! thanks for your help

DJIntegr8

Postby DJIntegr8 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:34 pm

Also, the Secteur Elite should come with the same 4-position stem as my Secteur Expert. You can further adjust the angle using the shims inside the stem. I think it is adjustable between +16, +8, -8 and -16. It is called the Specialized Elite-set stem.

Brendan

passp

Postby passp » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:52 am

hey Brendan, thanks for that! is this easy to do? would you suggest to adjust the stem or to remove the spacers and put them on top?

thanks for your help

DJIntegr8

Postby DJIntegr8 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:33 pm

Sorry, haven't been in the workshop for a while!

First image you can see the "spacer" just below the stem is angled. The angle is marked in the gap behind the stem - this is a 4 degree shim. In the position pictured, this will tilt the stem backwards (+4 degrees).

If you take off the angled top cap, you will see the different thickness shims front to rear. The spacer and 2 shims are actually a single piece, so you can just rotate this around to angle the stem the opposite way.

I think the stem itself is -10 degrees, so you should have the option of -14, -6, +6 and +14 degrees.

Personally I don't like spacers on top, but if you prefer that lower position then you have the option of doing both.

Brendan

Pottsy

Postby Pottsy » Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:03 am

Get a bike fit first