Giant TCR Advanced special offer

SevenSucker

Giant TCR Advanced special offer

Postby SevenSucker » Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:50 pm

Hi all,
Was wondering if anyone had an insights/advice on this Giant currently on sale.
Draw backs seem to be C24 Tubulars - very light weight, not necessarily the best option for everyday riding though.

Does have an external battery which is more about aesthetics vs function.
Here is the bike. Currently on offer for $5,500 at Giant dealers.

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-au/bik ... /#geometry" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Have checked out geometry/fit and wont be an issue.
Cheers

Carrots

Re: Giant TCR Advanced special offer

Postby Carrots » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:44 pm

Pretty ripper package. If you're concerned about the C24s you can flog them off for circa $1500. Am actually looking at whether or not I flip my current TCR and get one.

FWIW the local store in Adelaide had a standard TCR for $4k.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:06 pm

Just in case you didn't know, the new model TCR will be released later this year. Rumours are just before the Tour de France.

Dirty32

Postby Dirty32 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:30 am

Carrots wrote:Pretty ripper package.
I completely agree...!
Spec wise, your not going to get much better for that kinda money. Im not mad for that colour, though.

If you were keen, but the wheels were the issue holding you back, you could even ask if they would swap the tubbies out for an equivalent level clincher.

Do some searching around for the TCR Advanced SL0 and see what comes up. I particularly like the carbon & blue colour scheme.

You might find that you get some good deals on one of those somewhere, maybe less than this one is asking. May come with Giant branded (DT Swiss designed) wheels, but with any saving you can put toward whatever wheelset takes your fancy.

SevenSucker

Postby SevenSucker » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:56 pm

Thanks all.
Went and had a look again after work. Will take for a test ride this week.
I don't currently own a bike with Di2 - looking at the junction box hanging down, is that an older version of the system.

Seems it comes as a package and no wheel swapping for it.
The staff confirmed that there is a new TCR on its way. That's all I got from them.

It does look very silver in the pics, a little more subdued in the flesh thankfully.

cheers

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:13 pm

It was hinted at the current range's launch back in August that we'd see a new TCR later this year. Normally the Defy and TCR frames get updated at the same time, but with disc brakes not being race-legal until 2016, it didn't make sense from Giant's perspective to either make a new frame for one year or make a new race frame that's illegal to race for a year. So the existing frame got produced for another year. And yes, the new TCR will most probably be disc brake-equipped from the little I've heard.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

JdM

Postby JdM » Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:51 am

Sweet looking bike! Do it! And as someone said above, if you're not keen on the tubular tires, just sell them and replace them for the clincher version.
2014 Giant TCR Advanced 1

rusty842

Postby rusty842 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:01 am

thats a great deal, however im not too sold on the colour scheme

Dirty32

Postby Dirty32 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:00 am

SevenSucker wrote:I don't currently own a bike with Di2 - looking at the junction box hanging down, is that an older version of the system.

The staff confirmed that there is a new TCR on its way. That's all I got from them.

It does look very silver in the pics, a little more subdued in the flesh thankfully.
Yeah... It is. Most of the 'top of the line' Di2 bikes (Giants, at least) come with the 3 or 5 port front junction box now, which comes with clips or is fixed with rubber bands to the bottom of the stem... But most of these bikes are also coming with an internal Di2 battery aswell, and the battery is charged through a usb slot in the front junction box.

Have you got time to wait? If not for the new TCR, id imagine there'd be some very keenly priced older models of the TCR being flogged out the door if the new model is released... Depends on how quickly you 'need' to buy!

And that's a good thing... It does look very bright in the pics, but I think I might have seen one in a shop and I agree, if it was the same paint its a bit more tempered in person.

Let us know how it progresses & how it rides, if you take it out.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:40 pm

Duck! wrote:It was hinted at the current range's launch back in August that we'd see a new TCR later this year. Normally the Defy and TCR frames get updated at the same time, but with disc brakes not being race-legal until 2016, it didn't make sense from Giant's perspective to either make a new frame for one year or make a new race frame that's illegal to race for a year. So the existing frame got produced for another year. And yes, the new TCR will most probably be disc brake-equipped from the little I've heard.
I've read that the new TCR will be used by Giant-Alpecin at this years TDF so it can't be a disc brake model. Would they produce two versions? Sounds expensive.

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/giant/ ... 838-2.html

shutuplegs

Postby shutuplegs » Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:28 pm

Is this deal available at all Giant dealers? And is the price of $5500 issued from Giant Australia or dependent on the dealer?

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:36 pm

horrible paint scheme.
I've heard a lot of DA 9000 C24 wheelsets are failing. broken spokes, going out of true due to the rim being lighter or having less alloy on the brake strip so more heat is going into the carbon. Was at my LBS yesterday and they said they've had 4 sets brought in.
One of the sets was taken back to where it was bought from and the LBS gave them a full refund 6 mths after purchase, which indicates the LBS realizes there's an issue with at least some of these wheelsets.
Sad, because previous generations of C24 had an excellent reputation.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:26 pm

CKinnard wrote:horrible paint scheme.
I've heard a lot of DA 9000 C24 wheelsets are failing. broken spokes, going out of true due to the rim being lighter or having less alloy on the brake strip so more heat is going into the carbon. Was at my LBS yesterday and they said they've had 4 sets brought in.
One of the sets was taken back to where it was bought from and the LBS gave them a full refund 6 mths after purchase, which indicates the LBS realizes there's an issue with at least some of these wheelsets.
Sad, because previous generations of C24 had an excellent reputation.
i'd suggest the problem is the 11-speed version of the C24 which requires the right side flange to move inboard. This reduces the bracing angle of the drive side spokes and also worsens the tension imbalance of the non-drive side spokes. My set had two non-drive side spokes lose tension after a year of use. However, I only weigh 66kg so would imagine that heavy riders could encounter loose spokes much sooner.

wgc138

Postby wgc138 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:03 pm

imo the finish on the ltd edition looks really nice, thinking of getting one. As far as giant releasing a new model, the current is still one of the best out there

SevenSucker

Postby SevenSucker » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:52 pm

I have seen the deal at my local Giant dealership. I am unsure if it just dedicated giant dealers or if your local rep can get one in also.
There are a few on bike exchange also.

It is less glossy in the flesh, but it is very silver and if that isn't your thing it will be a turn off.
Interesting feedback on the C24 wheels. It is the wheel set on the bike that is the main reason for me not going ahead with the purchase as yet. I know I could sell, but am thinking there maybe (as others have mentioned) some good deals on this years TCR not far away. I know I will be able to sell the wheels relatively quickly, but I am hoping for something I can ride out the door. I will need a more general purpose set of wheels as this will be my first 11 speed bike.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:15 am

Get it repainted. Swap the wheels. Save 2000 bucks. Done.

sjg05

Postby sjg05 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:37 pm

Just put my deposit on one yesterday.
Will pick it up in a couple months once paid for.
looks darker in the flesh and it will stand out on the road.
Bu I will be looking to flog off the wheels new to buy a new set of fulcrum zeros.

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:04 am

Re wheels, if you are lightish, and easy on your wheels, the Pro-Lite Bracciano might suffice. weight is 1482g, aud420!
Heaps of guys on the forum talk highly of them. I'm looking at getting a set next week.

I also test rode a 2014 TCR Advanced 1 last week, and really liked it...stiff, responsive, not too twitchy. I also felt I could go down a size, to the M/L. I am 186cm tall and have 88cm inseam. I'd use a 130mm stem.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:53 pm

Braccianos are good. One of the best value wheelsets I've come across, and they look nice too.

I've done about 5,500km on mine. A slight wobble in the front after running hard up the back of another rider who stopped unexpectedly while I was doing a head check for traffic, and the back had a small true about 1,000km ago for a 1mm wobble after smacking a big pothole pretty hard.

Light, stiff, spin up fast and moderately aero. I'm a bit under 80kg.

sjg05

Postby sjg05 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:07 pm

I'm a heavier guy in the 90's so I need a strong wheel.
Any recommendations for the heavier guys?

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:54 pm

sjg05 wrote:I'm a heavier guy in the 90's so I need a strong wheel.
Any recommendations for the heavier guys?
Myself and a mate bought ultegra wheelsets early last year, and they have been outstanding value for money.
They weigh ~1640g, and my view is anything under 1600g for everyday use is too light for a guy your weight. My mate and I have both weighed into the 90s over that time, more frequently high 80s. Neither of us have ever needed to true these despite a audax level stuff on SE Qld and Northern NSW provincial backroads.
They have an old style bearing with loose balls, but in some respects I think these are better if you are riding fowl weather regularly, because you can quickly clean and re-lube.
At aud368 from ribble, brilliant value.
http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... himwhfr625" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm losing weight fast, aiming for mid 70kgs. If I wasn't I'd get another pair of ultegras rather than braccianos.

Another wheelset you might consider at a similar weight are Fulcrum Racing 5 LG. These seem to be quite cheap currently.
1645 grams aud268.....the LG version is slightly wider so you can fit nicely a 25mm tire.
http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... ulcwhfr287" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I've never used these but have used Fulcrum Racing 3's which are lighter.

The above wheels should see 30,000-50,000km before worn out or spokes start to go.
If you want something that lasts longer, consider going custom, though a good set will cost around $1000. My view is to use cheaper wheels and retire them when worn...don't try to rebuild.

BTW, I should be selling my ultegras soon. They are 10 speed and I am moving over to 11 speed everything.

TheWall

Postby TheWall » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:40 pm

Campag Zondas. They have seen me from 105 to 98kg over 3000klm around some not so smooth Sunshine Coast roads. True as when they arrived. Even my Specialized dealer bike shop agreed they were a top wheel. Only $390 for the set as well.

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:44 pm

TheWall wrote:Campag Zondas. They have seen me from 105 to 98kg over 3000klm around some not so smooth Sunshine Coast roads. True as when they arrived. Even my Specialized dealer bike shop agreed they were a top wheel. Only $390 for the set as well.
fine if you have campag groupo. :)
aren't they the same as Fulcrum Racing 3's? My experience is 20,000km then spokes started to go.

TheWall

Postby TheWall » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:47 pm

I run Shimano Ultegra Di2 and all good here[emoji1]

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:54 pm

TheWall wrote:I run Shimano Ultegra Di2 and all good here[emoji1]
seriously? Di2 10 or 11 speed. what cassette?
Ribble used to advertise a Shimano/SRAM version and a Campy version.