After a new roadie

lavruban

After a new roadie

Postby lavruban » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:08 pm

Hey mates

After a new roadie for 20km rides five times a week and the occasional long ride <180km.

$600 is as high as I can go at this stage.

Been looking here so that I can get it in store. http://www.bikeexchange.com.au/s/road-b ... y=cheapest" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Like the look of the Avanti Giro 1 however the cheaper models don't look too bad. Thoughts?

Thanks everybody

GAV!N

Re: After a new roadie

Postby GAV!N » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:55 am

For $600 I'd be looking to pick up something secondhand. Just my opinion.

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:21 pm

Yeah you are not going to get much on a $600 budget so I agree with Gav and see if you can score a bargain secondhand. Otherwise keep saving up at around the $800 mark where you start to see some nicer bikes with better specs.

You could go with something like the Reid Osprey Elite or a Reid Falco Sport which are probably the best value cheapies going around but I'm a little worried about those intended km's you plan on doing with it. You are going to need something decent for that.
Cheers.

Edit: Sora/Tiagra minimum group I reckon for that type of kms. With Claris/2300/Tourney/Altus you are likely to start having probs after 6 months of a 100kms plus rides a week. IMO.
2013 BMC TM SLR01;2013/14 Bianchi Inf CV
2013 Lynskey Helix;2013 XACD Ti Di2
2013 Giant TCR Adv SL1;2014 Giant Defy Adv SL

lavruban

Postby lavruban » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:27 pm

rodneycc wrote:Yeah you are not going to get much on a $600 budget so I agree with Gav and see if you can score a bargain secondhand. Otherwise keep saving up at around the $800 mark where you start to see some nicer bikes with better specs.

You could go with something like the Reid Osprey Elite or a Reid Falco Sport which are probably the best value cheapies going around but I'm a little worried about those intended km's you plan on doing with it. You are going to need something decent for that.
Cheers.

Edit: Sora/Tiagra minimum group I reckon for that type of kms. With Claris/2300/Tourney/Altus you are likely to start having probs after 6 months of a 100kms plus rides a week. IMO.
This has a Tiagra groupset and is within my budget. Your thoughts Rodney and Gav?
http://www.bikeexchange.com.au/a/road-b ... /102634468" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:46 pm

Yes that's the Reid Cycles Falco Sport I mentioned above. So yes if it really needs to be under $600 then that's the one I'd go. Get a fitting there, go for a test ride and just make sure they put it together correctly for you at the shop (a few stories around about loose bolts so just get them to double check everything!).

ebs

Postby ebs » Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:25 pm

I have 2 carbon speed machines that I didn't want to use everyday, so was looking for a cheap roadie to commute on. Bikes.com.au had 2013 Malvern Star oppy A1s for $500 with a T700 carbon fork. I bought one 9 months or so ago, commute 40 km a day on it a few times a week, and 2000km later have had no issues. It benefited from a service (only just done recently which they lubricated cables and it feels even better) and the Shimano sora triple might not be fancy but works without issue. Only change I have made is to upgrade brake pads to a softer material. Otherwise as a basic roadie I have no complaints and can't argue with the price.

lavruban

Postby lavruban » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:08 pm

rodneycc wrote:Yes that's the Reid Cycles Falco Sport I mentioned above. So yes if it really needs to be under $600 then that's the one I'd go. Get a fitting there, go for a test ride and just make sure they put it together correctly for you at the shop (a few stories around about loose bolts so just get them to double check everything!).
I'm considering the Avanti Giro 1 (2013) because of the brand's reputation. Any idea how much it'd cost to upgrade to Tiagra down the track?
http://www.bikeexchange.com.au/a/road-b ... /102240359" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

lavruban

Postby lavruban » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:09 pm

ebs wrote:I have 2 carbon speed machines that I didn't want to use everyday, so was looking for a cheap roadie to commute on. Bikes.com.au had 2013 Malvern Star oppy A1s for $500 with a T700 carbon fork. I bought one 9 months or so ago, commute 40 km a day on it a few times a week, and 2000km later have had no issues. It benefited from a service (only just done recently which they lubricated cables and it feels even better) and the Shimano sora triple might not be fancy but works without issue. Only change I have made is to upgrade brake pads to a softer material. Otherwise as a basic roadie I have no complaints and can't argue with the price.
Thanks for letting me know, will consider a Malvern Star or another bike with similar specs.

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:55 pm

lavruban wrote:
rodneycc wrote:Yes that's the Reid Cycles Falco Sport I mentioned above. So yes if it really needs to be under $600 then that's the one I'd go. Get a fitting there, go for a test ride and just make sure they put it together correctly for you at the shop (a few stories around about loose bolts so just get them to double check everything!).
I'm considering the Avanti Giro 1 (2013) because of the brand's reputation. Any idea how much it'd cost to upgrade to Tiagra down the track?
http://www.bikeexchange.com.au/a/road-b ... /102240359" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yeah not worth upgrading to Tiagra but if you upgraded it to 11speed 5800 105 for about $450 then it might be worth it.

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:57 pm

Ps - thats if you like the fit and geo of the frame more than any of the others.
You really need to jump on a few and test them out. Reid should be ideal for that.

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:35 pm

+1 if on a tight budget of $600, you are better off buying second hand, particularly if you are looking at 150km plus rides.

You can often pick up a decent entry level bike as riders get the bug and upgrade. Leaving their 1st bike unloved and unused.

There is an Malvern Star Oppy A3 for $600 on the Bicycle Market Facebook

A few years back, looking for 1st roadie, choice of new alloy bike with Tiagra or a low mileage 2nd hand steelie with Ultegra/105 .I am glad I got the 2nd hand one particularly a few years later when it was still going strong.

lavruban

Postby lavruban » Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:37 pm

rodneycc wrote:Ps - thats if you like the fit and geo of the frame more than any of the others.
You really need to jump on a few and test them out. Reid should be ideal for that.
That's right, I'll try and organise a ride or two this weekend. Will let you know how I go.

Thanks for the help

WhingingPom

Postby WhingingPom » Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:36 am

I got a second hand reid Osprey (2014) a couple of weeks ago. Am currently riding around 20km weekdays and am planning to do longer rides at the weekends.

So far, it's working well for the weekday commutes/evening rides - it's comfortable, does the job and has mounting holes for a rack and mudguards that'll be going on in a few weeks.

ebs

Postby ebs » Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:45 pm

Noting Avanti Giro is very very similar to Malvern Star Oppy, both from same group and many common parts

wgc138

Postby wgc138 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:10 am

There's a few from reid or cell you could choose from in that price range, maybe pick one that is closest to you easier access to warranty and servicing. I'm still using reid falco elite for my main commuter, don't worry about the stigma behind a non branded product, just get one the best bike within your budget, preferably with good warranty which they both offer, and use it more than those with better bikes.

With any bikes, get someone that know their stuff to do once over, you'd expect this to be done at the shop but sometimes these can be missed even from the bigger/branded shops. And, don't leave without them showing you how to clean and lubricate your chain, or get on yt.

lavruban

Postby lavruban » Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:23 pm

WhingingPom wrote:I got a second hand reid Osprey (2014) a couple of weeks ago. Am currently riding around 20km weekdays and am planning to do longer rides at the weekends.

So far, it's working well for the weekday commutes/evening rides - it's comfortable, does the job and has mounting holes for a rack and mudguards that'll be going on in a few weeks.
ebs wrote:Noting Avanti Giro is very very similar to Malvern Star Oppy, both from same group and many common parts
wgc138 wrote:There's a few from reid or cell you could choose from in that price range, maybe pick one that is closest to you easier access to warranty and servicing. I'm still using reid falco elite for my main commuter, don't worry about the stigma behind a non branded product, just get one the best bike within your budget, preferably with good warranty which they both offer, and use it more than those with better bikes.

With any bikes, get someone that know their stuff to do once over, you'd expect this to be done at the shop but sometimes these can be missed even from the bigger/branded shops. And, don't leave without them showing you how to clean and lubricate your chain, or get on yt.
Pushing my budget a little higher, I can afford the 2014 Reid Falco Elite with a 105 groupset. Just worried where corners have been cut in order to have such a low selling price. I've read conflicting reports over Reid, notably to do with how sturdy and responsive Reid frames are, build quality, and their customer service.

There is also a 2014 Avanti Vitale 1 (Claris) and Giro 2 (Sora) around me, both at sub-$800. Appealing due to being established and being known for quality. I've taken a Giro 2 for a test ride and it rode well. Hoping to get on a Reid for a test later this week.

Cheers

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:45 pm

Yep the Reid Falco Elite is a very tidy bike. That's where the smart money is. Two thumbs up from me for that!

skydance

Postby skydance » Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:57 pm

lavruban wrote:Pushing my budget a little higher, I can afford the 2014 Reid Falco Elite with a 105 groupset. Just worried where corners have been cut in order to have such a low selling price. I've read conflicting reports over Reid, notably to do with how sturdy and responsive Reid frames are, build quality, and their customer service.
Reid frames are good enough.
I had my Reid Falco Elite for 9 months now. Done ~7,000 km on it. There were no problems with the frame or any other components.

My spendings:
1. Pedals. Seriously, they sell it with toeclipse pedals. I've got cheap Shimano 105 pedals ($70) and Shimano road shoes (another $70).
2. Compact 50/34T crankset instead of 53/39 ($100). There is no problem to ride a flat course with normal. But climbing (pretty much everything in and around Sydney) hurts. Considering bike weight - hurts a lot.
3. Wheels + tyres. Stock wheels are strong and durable, but, again, way too heavy, especially for climbing. I ended up getting Shimano RS-81 (got a good deal) + Continental tyres. Don't get Mavic Aksiums - they just not worth $300 price increase. For that money you can get a better wheelset.
4. Gear cable set. Stock one was really poor, I wanted to replace it after ~2.000km (and did it after 3.400).
5. Consumables: chain and cassette (at 6.000 km), tyres, tubes. Bar tape is also due.
6. General cycling stuff - lights, saddle bag, phone mount, speed/cadence sensors.

I also got another saddle, but, honestly, there was nothing wrong with the stock one. I had chaffing issues and thought it was a saddle. So I got another one. It turned out that saddle was OK, though DHB shorts chamois wasn't.

In the end I ended up spending more than double of initial budget. Go figure...

macca33

Postby macca33 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:01 pm

And that is the moral of the story. Whilst not everyone has to spend multiple thousands of dollars to get into cycling, there is merit in not trying to pinch every penny, particularly if people are looking to use their purchased bicycle regularly and not 'once in a blue moon'...
CAAD10 Berzerker & Focus Mares & Ridley Noah SL

lobstermash

Postby lobstermash » Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:29 pm

I had a Falco Elite and thought it was a great bike. No 'for the money' qualification. A car killed it, which is the only reason it's not still my daily ride. The crank was no problem for me - 39-28 took me up the steepest of Canberra's hills. However, if I had my time again, I'd have got the Falco Sport. I didn't like the 105 10 speed groupset much - the shifting's not so slick and the hoods are too wide for my hands.

IMO, the value sweet spot for new bikes is firmly with the Reid Osprey Elite/Cell Lapa 1.0. There's nothing wrong with Sora, and these are fast, practical and comfortable.

skydance

Postby skydance » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:04 pm

lobstermash wrote:The crank was no problem for me - 39-28 took me up the steepest of Canberra's hills. However, if I had my time again, I'd have got the Falco Sport.
Canberra is flat, and Falco Elite has stock 12-27 cassette.

New Falco Elite (2015) has compact 50/34 in stock!!! Well done Reid! However, I believe $700 for 2014 edition is still more value for money compared to $1000 for 2015.

2wheels_mond

Postby 2wheels_mond » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:59 pm

skydance wrote:Canberra is flat, and Falco Elite has stock 12-27 cassette.
This bit on Reid's website I find interesting - a lot of it seems copied and pasted from the 2014 listing and really gives off a negative image of their product, for these reasons:

a) The 105 5800 cassettes come in 11-28, 11-32 and 12-25. Doesn't look like the mid-cage derailleur, so it would have to be 11-28 or 12-25.

b) The hub is anyone's guess, I doubt it's either 2200 (from the description) or 2400 (from the specs) as neither should support an 11 speed cassette.

lobstermash

Postby lobstermash » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:06 pm

Yep, Black Mountain, the Arboretum, Red Hill and the Uriarra/Cotter/Tharwa loop are flat...

My bad, was a 27. I don't understand your excitement over the compact crank... You're talking only one extra cog worth of difference at the low end (or the equivalent of a 30t on the back). If you can't pedal 39-27 up 10% you need to train more IMO...

skydance

Postby skydance » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:46 pm

2wheels_mond wrote:a) The 105 5800 cassettes come in 11-28, 11-32 and 12-25. Doesn't look like the mid-cage derailleur, so it would have to be 11-28 or 12-25.
Most likely 12-25. However if they did 11-28 that would be another good change for 2015 model.
lobstermash wrote:Yep, Black Mountain, the Arboretum, Red Hill and the Uriarra/Cotter/Tharwa loop are flat...
My bad, was a 27. I don't understand your excitement over the compact crank... You're talking only one extra cog worth of difference at the low end (or the equivalent of a 30t on the back). If you can't pedal 39-27 up 10% you need to train more IMO...
Those hills are rarely ridden by people on Reid bikes, aren't they?

In most cases people buying inexpensive roadies are not committed to cycling. They will struggle climbing 10% with 39-27. Even competitive cyclist may struggle to output 300W (climbing 10% with cadence ~70) for a longer period of time. Remember, Reid bicycle is 10kg. Add water/food/bags/spares - and that easily exceeds 14.

PS: I did climb Bowen Mountain (some parts > 22%) with 39-27, and I know it was stupid. Next time I did it with 34-28 with double speed and triple comfort.