Cheap Chinese or Brand name wheels?

thecaptn

Cheap Chinese or Brand name wheels?

Postby thecaptn » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:45 pm

Has anyone any experience with something like these?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/251774589989 ... EBIDX%3AIT" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm thinking about trying some aero wheels, 50mm with alloy braking serface should suit my riding style. I'm about 100kg and ride country roads with lots of hills, would I be likely to kill these? Are there any better options out there and am I better off putting the money towards a set from a recognised manufacturer?

I currently use Zondas and Fulcrum R zeros, am I likely to see an improvement over these?

Pete

open roader

Re: Cheap Chinese or Brand name wheels?

Postby open roader » Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:34 am

thecaptn wrote:I currently use Zondas and Fulcrum R zeros, am I likely to see an improvement over these?
From my experience with a similar pair of TWE 50mm carbon clinchers, yes......

.....But - only if you are riding in relatively still air and only if you can consistantly hold speeds above 30-35km/hr for protracted periods. Once up to cruising speed I found wheels like this did actually require less effort to maintain momentum on relatively flat / gentle undulating ground, however, the task of cruising at 30km/hr plus for long periods over the sort of country I ride in is beyond both my capabilities and my enjoyment threshold.

If you are riding solo and you tackle plenty of hills then aside from maybe a small weight gain these sorts of wheels really come into their own when you have a large bunch in which to hide for a while before taking the lead ride or when you are plenty fit enough and have the desire to push average speeds well beyond 30km/hr.

Compared to your Zondas which i have ridden before, you will notice any cross winds considerably more and strong cross winds will have you thinking plenty about the stability of the front wheel when you prob. should be thinking about other things.

I had a pair of 50mm full carbon rim TWE wheels made up with similar hub / spoke quality components. Greg Ryan who owns TWE wheels is a master wheelbuilder and yet my own meek power output was able to flex the rear wheel up hills sufficiently to have the drive side spokes on the rear wheel occasionally knock the rear derailleur.

I sent them back for a free adjustment but they were returned in exactly the same state and still occasionally dinged on the r/d simply because the design of this type of wheel is not as robust for truing as other more conventional wheels. I am no power rider, in fact quite the contrary these days; so I'm suggesting you may come into similar occurances with these types of wheels.

I also found these wheels not particularly comfortable, even when fitted with quality high tpi clinchers and latex tubes, again, simply because the design dictates very little material in the wheels to absorb the type of high pich road buzz that I seek to eliminate.

Invest in these wheels if you ride consistantly fast and will compete with them as they really work best when ridden fast. I now ride solid aero spoke triathlon type wheels on my training bikes as they not only offer me the comfort level I want but actually offer a perceptible aero benefit and considerably slower speeds than described above - they really carry genuine momentum like no other wheel type but the penaly / compromise comes up the hills..........
3rd class cycling is always better than 1st class walking

thecaptn

Postby thecaptn » Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:47 am

Thanks for the detailed reply. I'm not very fast and ride plenty of hills as well as being fairly big and strong so maybe these won't benefit me. Perhaps alloy aero wheels could be worth a try, a mate of mine has an old pair I can borrow. I see prolite and 3t still make them, I imagine they'd be pretty strong.

thecaptn

Postby thecaptn » Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:09 pm

What about campy bullet 50's? I can get them new for under $1000

open roader

Postby open roader » Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:40 pm

thecaptn wrote:What about campy bullet 50's? I can get them new for under $1000
My bike mechanic has a pair of these. They are stiffer down the back than your cheaper low spoke count Chinese wheels and will brake better than an all carbon rim.

He club races though and says he would not bother with them if he wasn't racing.

Sounds like you're itching to try some aero rims - borrow your mates alloys and push it beyond 30km/hr and see if they do it for you.

thecaptn

Postby thecaptn » Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:27 pm

Sound advice thanks. My biggest problem is that I just like wheels and tyres...

open roader

Postby open roader » Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:53 pm

thecaptn wrote:Sound advice thanks. My biggest problem is that I just like wheels and tyres...
I'm with you there, far too much $$$$ spent on all sorts of hoops in the name of curiousity.