Buying my first road shoes

Pyebibby

Buying my first road shoes

Postby Pyebibby » Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:41 pm

Hello,

I've ordered some 105 pedals online and since been looking into some shoes to match it. I plan to get as much for my money, so aiming for carbon decent shoes. I've found a pair of Izumo Pearl P.R.O leaders with the buckles. They are priced in the shop at $289 and he's offered them too me at $150 and he will fit the cleats to them to ensure I have the right riding position. Has anyone used these shoes, are they any good? They are very light and pretty strong/rigid. Does anyone have any good quality value shoes they could recommend?

harmonix1234

Re: Buying my first road shoes

Postby harmonix1234 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:58 pm

Yeah I got the Shimano ones that are their cheapest carbon sole model on eBay about $150 and they are great (for me). A lot stiffer than my more expensive specialized resin soled shoes. Can't remember the model number, but it's their lowest tier carbon soled road shoe. Great value. As for pearl izumi, I dont know. But every bit of other pearl izumi kit I have ever owned has punched well above it's weight and their stuff seems to perform really well. Are they comfy? Just make sure your heel doesn't slip around inside the shoe and the fit is snug without being uncomfortable. Give em a go I say for that money.

Pyebibby

Postby Pyebibby » Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:18 pm

Yeah thank you harmonix! There's so much choice!

Someone once told me about buying squash rackets, find the highest prices racket for the lowest price on sale!

JdM

Postby JdM » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:56 am

I got my first pair of road shoes along with my first road bike from the same shop. It was a bit of a rushed process and I just grabbed a mid-range Shimano shoe as that's what they had there.

I now want a new pair of shoes.

I'd suggest you shop around and try on various different brands - see how they feel on your feet See what sort of fastening mechanism you prefer. Then go back to one of the shops and purchase the pair you liked them most. Obviously price is always part of the equation, but a pair of shoes is pretty important from a comfort point of view. I wish I had taken a bit more time and spent a little more $$$ the first time as I'm going to go and buy a more expensive and comfortable pair now anyway.

Don't forget to take some socks with you either - if you're going to wear fine/thin cycling socks then you need to try the shoes with them (another mistake I made).
2014 Giant TCR Advanced 1

Dirty32

Postby Dirty32 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:28 am

I think Pearl Izumi are a Shimano brand / subsidiary, so as far as quality goes you shouldnt have any issues. Fit is the most important thing, really. No good having top of the range shoes that dont fit and are uncomfortable.

I'd suggest that in the first instance, you stick to shoes that you can physically try on, at a bricks and mortar store. Have a look on bike exchange at the options in your area, in your size, in your budget and to the style that you like, and go and try all of the available options.

Similar to most other shoes, you'll find that certain shoes are made to fit narrow feet, some middle of the range, and some are good for wide, gorilla feet. It's all very personal and anyone else's opinions are going to be subjective... What fits them, may completely not fit yourself.

In general, some of the 'italian' and euro makes are generally good for narrow feet with high arches (sidi etc). I think Specialized & Mavic are more middle of the road, and then Shimano & Northwave are historically ok for wider feet with less of an arch. Then you'll find other makes like Bont. You either fit them, or you dont, I have read. Some shoes are more made of leather and as such will stretch a bit and have some give, others are more synthetic materials that will probably hold their size... so you wouldnt want to go too tight with those.

Once you've found something that fits well, you'll have options on closures (boa dials, velcro or buckles, laces etc), colour (classic white, black, or even some fluro yellow / orange etc now) and features.

But go and try them all on... Its mostly a process of trial and error. Good luck!

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:44 pm

Dirty32 wrote:I think Pearl Izumi are a Shimano brand / subsidiary, so as far as quality goes you shouldnt have any issues. Fit is the most important thing, really.
Pearl Izumi are imported/distributed here by Shimano but I'm pretty sure that's where the relationship ends. I haven't tried P I shoes, but I suspect with their American origins they may be a bit more accommodating for a given size than the typically Japanese narrower offerings from Shimano.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.