Cervelo S3 vs R3 or another TCR?

BraddAU

Cervelo S3 vs R3 or another TCR?

Postby BraddAU » Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:26 pm

Hi,

I've been on a Giant TCR Advanced 1 since 2011 (2011 model) but after nearly 30,000kms, the time has come to buy a new machine. I am looking seriously at the 2015 Cervelo S3 and/or R3. Mostly because I want a change and I think Cervelo kill Giant (TCR models) for street appeal. I have a few questions that people may be able to answer...

Is the Cervelo geometry similar to the TCR? Which of the S3 and R3 would best compare to the TCR in terms of ride fit and character? I ask because I may not be able to gauge how comfortable I'll feel on a long ride from from the test ride. If the S3 is less comfy than the TCR for eg. I'll probably look at other options including another Giant.

I love climbing and long rides. I'm after a great all rounder workhorse! the 2014 R5 and S5 are options too. Am I mad to discount these? high 5s to 6k is the budget for the bike with ultegra comps and dura ace C35 wheels.

Xplora

Re: Cervelo S3 vs R3 or another TCR?

Postby Xplora » Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:55 am

The S series appeal is an Aero bike style. This requires less comfort than a more flexible regular frame like a TCR. Or the R series.

The R5 was tested more Aero than some Aero bike frames. If you can get a 2014 R5 then that looks like the answer to me, because you lack confidence in the comfort aspects in your post. More Aero, new, will be comfortable.

Aero bikes are only ridden by a few professionals because they need something comfy for 200km races. You might not need that comfort but you need to start the post with 'considering Propel vs S5 for racing'to be serious about it.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:55 am

Giant TCR is still a great bike for the money. Mine is a 2014 TCR Advanced SL1 with Dura Ace 9000 and Stages Power. It is superb. Light and lovely to ride. Mine must be nearing nearly 20,000km.

Can't advise on R3 or S3, haven't ridden them. My only Cervelo is a P5 and that is something else again. ;)

As for street appeal, you'll need to have a Cervelo RCA for that, or maybe the most ultra-light Trek Emonda. When you race, you'll have a spanner or two taped to it. ;)
Last edited by g-boaf on Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:59 am

Trek Koppenburg edition... just saw it on the website. Need to make some phone calls and buy some lottery tickets.

Carrots

Postby Carrots » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:18 am

Food for thought... A new TCR model is expected to be released middle of the year. New frame design etc.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:48 am

Carrots wrote:Food for thought... A new TCR model is expected to be released middle of the year. New frame design etc.
Beat me to mentioning this. Rumours are the frame will weigh 700 grams.

BraddAU

Postby BraddAU » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:57 pm

Xplora wrote:The S series appeal is an Aero bike style. This requires less comfort than a more flexible regular frame like a TCR. Or the R series.

The R5 was tested more Aero than some Aero bike frames. If you can get a 2014 R5 then that looks like the answer to me, because you lack confidence in the comfort aspects in your post. More Aero, new, will be comfortable.

Aero bikes are only ridden by a few professionals because they need something comfy for 200km races. You might not need that comfort but you need to start the post with 'considering Propel vs S5 for racing'to be serious about it.
Thanks. That's good info on the Cervelo Options. The R5 sounds (more) attractive.

Dirty32

Postby Dirty32 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:36 pm

Mind... The R5 will come with Dura Ace (Di2, or Mech) or Sram Red and not Ultegra, and is likely to exceed your budget as it stands, even for a 2014. Especially if you opt for the Di2 spec.

The R5 is also very likely to come with a set of Fulcrum 3's or something similar, so you'll need deeper pockets if you are wanting some C35's or equivalent on top of that.

If money is no barrier and you are into what everyone else thinks of your bike and the coffee shop kudos , sure... But Giant still have to be one of the best value bikes out there. You'll get an equivalent spec Giant for cheaper than you'll find a Cervelo.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:05 pm

Been looking at the R3/5 & S3/5 myself. My current road bike is a cobbled together steel Hillbrick that doesn't fit me properly, but has served me well on my journey back to cycling.

I could probably stretch to an S5 Mech, but at slightly less I could have the S3 with Di2 Ultegra, and if I opted for Ultegra Mech, it would be hard to justify the big jump to the S5.
All hypothetical until I find out in a couple of weeks whether there's a bonus forthcoming.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

BraddAU

Postby BraddAU » Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:16 pm

Dirty32 wrote:Mind... The R5 will come with Dura Ace (Di2, or Mech) or Sram Red and not Ultegra, and is likely to exceed your budget as it stands, even for a 2014. Especially if you opt for the Di2 spec.

The R5 is also very likely to come with a set of Fulcrum 3's or something similar, so you'll need deeper pockets if you are wanting some C35's or equivalent on top of that.

If money is no barrier and you are into what everyone else thinks of your bike and the coffee shop kudos , sure... But Giant still have to be one of the best value bikes out there. You'll get an equivalent spec Giant for cheaper than you'll find a Cervelo.
You've completely missed my sentiment. They're all better bikes than I am as a rider, so comfort and aesthetics rate amongst performance (which is conclusive from all models, having won pro stages). I'm not looking for 'what everyone else thinks of my bike'. I'm looking for what I think of my bike because i enjoy it. Basically, the 2015 TCR is the ugliest bike i've ever seen regardless of colour. Shame they're so damn good.

Also, there are half a dozen new 2014 R5s with SRAM red for $4,600- $5,500 on sale on Bikeexchange at the moment - Take a look. I'll sell the wheels and by the C35s and I have my setup with SRAM for $6k. I wouldn't post anything too aspirational in terms of market value...

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:11 pm

The S3 is going to be pretty comfortable as it has smaller diameter seat stays;
Borrowing from the Rca’s rear triangle design, thinner seat stays offer class-leading comfort and compliance.
It is an advertising spiel but they are fairly slender, particularly compared with those on my S5
http://www.cervelo.com/en/bikes/s-serie ... fbKJP.dpuf

There are a few in the bunch I ride with. One bloke is on a part pension from the army as a result of a back injury. He had to get rid of a scott foil as it was too harsh for his back. The S3 is fine.
I have an S5 team and have had an L5/S1 microdiscectomy and managed 330k's with 6k of climbing earlier in the year. A few hot spots in the feet but no back problems.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

Dirty32

Postby Dirty32 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:48 pm

BraddAU wrote:You've completely missed my sentiment. They're all better bikes than I am as a rider, so comfort and aesthetics rate amongst performance (which is conclusive from all models, having won pro stages). I'm not looking for 'what everyone else thinks of my bike'. I'm looking for what I think of my bike because i enjoy it.
Wow... Ok.
BraddAU wrote: Cervelo kill Giant (TCR models) for street appeal.
Ohh... Ok, maybe I didnt read that. Oh, no... I actually did.
I might have missed your sentiment, but that ^^ isnt really what you inferred ^ now, is it?!

Does street appeal have anything to do with what others might think of your bike? Of course it does... Let's not kid ourselves. And most of the top end bikes are going to be better than any of us, as riders. And I do think you'd be silly not to consider any top end bike that is in or around your budget... There are plenty of choices our there!

FWIW, i did have a look on Bike Exchange. I was merely pointing out that you might end up over budget, if you go with an R5 with DA C35 wheels. They are gonna cost you at least $1500 on top of any bike purchase price... Whether you can find a 2014 model, in your size for the right price is another thing, but even still, you are likely to be hitting the ceiling on the budget front.

If you are truly not bothered about what anyone else thinks of your options, why did you open a thread to ask? Go and buy the bike you like / fits best or is comfiest, or comes in a better colour, or comes in a better spec for the $$... Whatever. If its a Cervelo, go ahead... If its something else, no problem... I personally wouldnt buy a Cervelo for more than I can buy an equivalent spec Giant... But I am me, and you are you... We are all different, like different things and have different opinions.

I apologise if I did miss your sentiment, or if you didnt like what you read... But dont open a thread asking for opinions, if you arent prepared to consider what others take the time to post.

Happy shopping / buying!

BraddAU

Postby BraddAU » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:26 pm

Dirty32 wrote:
If you are truly not bothered about what anyone else thinks of your options, why did you open a thread to ask? Go and buy the bike you like / fits best or is comfiest, or comes in a better colour, or comes in a better spec for the $$... Whatever. If its a Cervelo, go ahead... If its something else, no problem... I personally wouldnt buy a Cervelo for more than I can buy an equivalent spec Giant... But I am me, and you are you... We are all different, like different things and have different opinions.

I apologise if I did miss your sentiment, or if you didnt like what you read... But dont open a thread asking for opinions, if you arent prepared to consider what others take the time to post.

Happy shopping / buying!
Hi Dirty32. Thanks for weighing in, I appreciate your feedback.

I'll keep this short. My question was actually about geometry and feel, not street appeal. 'Street appeal' was referenced in my position on the TCR, stated in the top half of my post, which I should have maybe re-worded 'competitive industry leading design' (like Giant actually got right with their Propel) I think you got hot under the collar about that - I understand that.

Yes, I want my bike to look good. For me? Yes. For others? I honestly don't really care. I've shortlisted the Cervelo (S3, R3, R5) because I love the look and want to know about the ride relative to my TCR Advanced 1. I want to gain information on how the Cervelo bikes size up in situations mentioned in prior posts. Other feedback has been fantastic. Warthog1 gave me some great insight.

Sorry you got upset, but I appreciate the time you took to respond in detail.

GJM

Postby GJM » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:41 am

The Cervelos you refer to are beautiful bikes. The R5 in particular but all the ones you refer to really.
Giants are much better value, but in the context *that you have the money*, there's a lot more to life than value. Or at least, there's more to value than price versus specs.
If you have the money, I would go for one of the Cervelos every time*

* I don't have a Cervelo or Giant. No vested interest.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:55 am

Has the Cervelo bottom bracket problem been solved?

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:34 am

biker jk wrote:Has the Cervelo bottom bracket problem been solved?
only on chinarellos :mrgreen:

flashpixx

Postby flashpixx » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:42 am

I'll weigh in with another left of field option. Feel free to ignore.

PM Cycles in Port Melb have some great deals on Pinarello if you are that way inclined.

Only reason for suggesting was Cervelo S3 was on my list when I bought recently. Ended up with a Pinarello... no comparison.

http://pmcycles.com.au/pinarello_road_b ... vAod45sASA
Gordon

Riding: Trek Domane SLR 7

AndrewCowley

Postby AndrewCowley » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:36 pm

flashpixx wrote:I'll weigh in with another left of field option. Feel free to ignore.

PM Cycles in Port Melb have some great deals on Pinarello if you are that way inclined.

Only reason for suggesting was Cervelo S3 was on my list when I bought recently. Ended up with a Pinarello... no comparison.

http://pmcycles.com.au/pinarello_road_b ... vAod45sASA
The Rokh Think2 might be of interest to the OP given its stated relaxed geometry compared to the Dogma.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:44 pm

What BB problem is that?

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:49 pm

warthog1 wrote:
What BB problem is that?
https://www.google.com.au/webhp?sourcei ... 20problems

danny the boy

Postby danny the boy » Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:01 pm

Had an TCR Advanced 0 for a similar amount of k's and swapped the groupset over to BMC Race Machine. I don't regret it. I had similar thoughts due to Giants being so cheap but have since concluded the Advanced frames are not that great, Sl's are probably a different story.

lobstermash

Postby lobstermash » Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:18 pm

jasonc wrote:
only on chinarellos :mrgreen:
Especially on mine. BSA all the way! Press-fit is the devil. Image

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:07 pm

biker jk wrote:
warthog1 wrote:
What BB problem is that?
https://www.google.com.au/webhp?sourcei ... 20problems
I have a 2013 S5 that had a noisy pressfit bb soon after I got it. I replaced the bb and installed the new bearing cups with a loctite bearing retaining compound 609 I think it was, all good.
I'm not sure it is a problem specific to cervelo, I believe a number of other bikes with press fit bbs can creak. It is annoying when it happens though. I have not heard of problems in the local S3's of which there are quite a number where I live.
Pressfit is a solution to a problem that didn't exist imo, external threaded bearing cups were better. How bloody wide does a bb housing need to be?

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:21 pm

warthog1 wrote:
I have a 2013 S5 that had a noisy pressfit bb soon after I got it. I replaced the bb and installed the new bearing cups with a loctite bearing retaining compound 609 I think it was, all good.
I'm not sure it is a problem specific to cervelo, I believe a number of other bikes with press fit bbs can creak. It is annoying when it happens though. I have not heard of problems in the local S3's of which there are quite a number where I live.
Pressfit is a solution to a problem that didn't exist imo, external threaded bearing cups were better. How bloody wide does a bb housing need to be?
Quite a few 2013 R3s have had bottom bracket problems, mostly creaking, the earlier models had cracks in the bb.

I totally agree that press fit bb are a completely stupid idea. My three bikes (well six if the missus is included) all have threaded external bbs and I've never had any issues which proper greasing didn't fix. As soon as you hear that loctite is needed there's clearly a design issue. Problem is that if I wanted a new carbon fibre bike they're all press fit.

BraddAU

Postby BraddAU » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:03 pm

Ok. Bit nervous after reading the Cervelo BB issue link. Can anyone verify that this problem is limited to 2012-13 models?

Flashpix, a Pinno could be an option.