cycling safety for side view

commuterbiker

cycling safety for side view

Postby commuterbiker » Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:19 pm

It is getting darker by the day so am considering side view reflectors or glow stickers for rims of my bike . Does anyone have any recommendations? Obviously, if its dark, the reflectors wont work till lights on it and i believe the glow lights needs to be charged? i have looked at rimskim which seem pretty good, but how do they keep reflector sticker reflecting? can you put a light on the rim somewhere? i saw another cyclist that had a reflective rims and his was a sleeve type, not stickers. any suggestions?

peanutz

Re: cycling safety for side view

Postby peanutz » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:07 pm

Search for "bike light" on kickstarter website, there are some products like that.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:13 pm

The reflective stuff is surprisingly effective. for side view I'd be aiming for that. I did try some LED lights on the valve caps. The were pretty cheap and worth the punt. I ended up not using them much, particularly the front as it used to flash in my eyes a bit and was annoying. The rear wheel was fine.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:23 pm

Just watch the valve caps. I can only find them for schrader valves, not presta valves.

I have these, but I have not used them yet.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Fashion- ... 6.html?s=p" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also, mine were under $2 each.
<removed by request>

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:18 pm

casual_cyclist wrote:Just watch the valve caps. I can only find them for schrader valves, not presta valves.
Cut the tip off a plastic Presta cap and epoxy it into the Schraeder cap...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:22 pm

Mulger bill wrote:
casual_cyclist wrote:Just watch the valve caps. I can only find them for schrader valves, not presta valves.
Cut the tip off a plastic Presta cap and epoxy it into the Schraeder cap...
:?:

I meant the valve lights. Image

but disregard anyway,
Q: What type of Valve stems do these lights fit on? For example, schrader or presta or both?(This way I'll know if I need to get adapters for what I currently have on bike valves).

A: Shrader or Presta. They come with a little screw-on adapter for Presta valves.
$1.63 from Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/World-Pride-Bicyc ... B007NEDEWW" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
<removed by request>

kx315

Postby kx315 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:50 pm

This would be a good option http://www.volvolifepaint.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2012 Giant Cross City 2
2013 Giant Defy Advanced 0
2016 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0

Storm Boy

Postby Storm Boy » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:06 pm

You can buy 3M reflective stickers off ebay quite cheaply, and cut them to your preferred size and shape. I use it on my beach fishing gear so that another vehicle driving along the beach at night won't run them over.

Reflectors/reflective tape generally only reflect light back in the direction from which it came, so shining a light on it from the bike with the intent of lighting it up will not be effective. The 3M tape is very effective in most circumstances.

Regards,

SB

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:04 pm

Reflectors are effective if you are already in the headlights. To my way of thinking, most of the time by the time your bike is in the headlights, it is already too late.

While I use 3m reflective tape, I have bright lights front and rear with very good side visibility, ie I use a diffuser like this

which gives 180 degrees visibility.

Same thing, done by Mulger Bill
Mulger bill wrote:Image
Side view from about 15m away...
Anything you can do, I can do slower

cp123

Postby cp123 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:08 am

Kathmandu sell little spoke lights - clamp them on, twist the top and you are visible from the sides. I have 2 on each wheel.

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:39 pm

Have seen a bike with these once, and boy do they stand out!
http://www.monkeylectric.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

gabrielle260

Postby gabrielle260 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:43 pm

MattyK wrote:Have seen a bike with these once, and boy do they stand out!
http://www.monkeylectric.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
But have you seen what they cost? I almost fell off the chair... Over $1,000 USD each!!!!

apsilon

Postby apsilon » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:02 pm

gabrielle260 wrote:But have you seen what they cost? I almost fell off the chair... Over $1,000 USD each!!!!
I think you've added an extra zero. I was looking at them and similar products recently. The base model is about US$40 and the top end US$60

gabrielle260

Postby gabrielle260 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:59 pm

apsilon wrote:
gabrielle260 wrote:But have you seen what they cost? I almost fell off the chair... Over $1,000 USD each!!!!
I think you've added an extra zero. I was looking at them and similar products recently. The base model is about US$40 and the top end US$60
I'm looking at the pre order of the monkey light pro. The price for outside the U.S. is USD1,075 for 1 light or USD995 with US shipping.
They must be bloody good!

apsilon

Postby apsilon » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:24 pm

OK, I hadn't seen that. That's ridiculous.

From a safety POV, the basic model will do the job. Use the other US$950 for something else.

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:35 pm

Search in Ebay and input "wireless programmable wheel messages"
You can make any messages in it.
ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:55 am

commuterbiker wrote:any suggestions?
Wheel reflectors. Old, daggy even. But effective.
Either solid or material (see rivendell's ones)

Then add wide-angle, low intensity lighting. Per Mulger Bill's suggestion. The joy of old fashioned lights was that they didn't form tight beams - rather they leaked light everywhere, including on you
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:30 am

No reflectors at all, but the tyres include a reflective strip. Just as effective.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:03 am

apsilon wrote:
Indeed; I haven't seen the full image ones, just the cheaper models. Still extremely colourful and visible.

On my commuter I run reflective tyres and these spoke reflectors (12 on each wheel). Very visible, but only when I'm being lit by someone.

Another idea I've seen is to wrap a knog light around your hub.

Or there are these spoke lights: http://www.this link is broken/au/e ... -prod64511" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

caneye

Postby caneye » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:05 am

Fibre Flare is another 360-deg visibility option. There were some complains that the initial batch was not waterproof but i believe they have improved on that since.

http://fibreflare.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am going to use a tyre valve LED light. bought a whole bunch of them online for a cheap price. It fits my presta valve tyres. There's a plastic cap provided that fits between the LED light and the presta valve.

kb

Postby kb » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:24 am

The old reflective trouser cuffs aren't bad. I find my redzone pretty good for side visibility but need something for the front.

ball bearing

Postby ball bearing » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:28 am

Here what I use..

Designshine. Expensive, but effective.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:36 pm

Side view is often a bit over-rated. After all, with reflectives by the time the beam is highlighting your side reflectives, it is either too late (car about to hit you), or you'll get by with plenty of space. What is important is very good headlights with a fairly wide beam. The B&M Luxos U is one of the widest of all, with quite bright visible light to virtually 90 degrees either side.

Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."