Polygon road bikes

bianchi928

Polygon road bikes

Postby bianchi928 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:55 am

Has anyone had any experience, good or bad with Polygon Helios road bikes or bicyclesonline.

http://www.bicyclesonline.com.au/polygo ... mano-ulteg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They seem very good value for the spec.

Thanks
Stand on my dog I cut off your head

Dirty32

Re: Polygon road bikes

Postby Dirty32 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:10 am

No personal experience (nor is it likely), but the only Polygon review I have seen was favourable... See here:

http://cyclingtips.com.au/2014/11/polyg ... 9x-review/

As you say, exceptional value...! Really good spec for the money. In fact, for someone that had a nice frameset already and wanted to kit the bike out with top end components, I get the feeling that buying the Polygon A9X for the sum of it parts only, would still be a fantastic deal. The DA Di2 groupset, the DA clinchers are probably going to run you close to $5k alone... Add the saddle, bar and stem and the other bits and bobs, and your infront, with a frame to sell.

That assumes the A9X frame itself is no good, and you dont want it... which could obviously be completely wrong. It could be a great frame, for all I know.

Let us know how it goes!

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:15 pm

Have just finished up doing a test of the Helios C6 Disc for BNA.

Stay tuned for the release of the review. Personally, I liked it, but it wasn't without some minor issues, very minor. Great package for the price.

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:32 pm

A guy I see regularly has a Polygon full CF MTB. For the price, it was a stupid-good deal. He likes it a lot, even compared to his previous MTB rides (which I'm not across totally, but were 'big name' bikes). I hear good things about the roadies, but anecdote < evidence, so YMMV.

Jim

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:47 pm

MichaelB wrote:Have just finished up doing a test of the Helios C6 Disc for BNA.

Stay tuned for the release of the review. Personally, I liked it, but it wasn't without some minor issues, very minor. Great package for the price.
It would be nice if Polygon published honest weights. The C6 disc was originally listed at 8.1kg (54cm) but has been corrected to 8.6kg on Bicyces Online, although the Bike Exchange listing still shows 8.1kg.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:05 pm

biker jk wrote:
MichaelB wrote:Have just finished up doing a test of the Helios C6 Disc for BNA.

It would be nice if Polygon published honest weights. The C6 disc was originally listed at 8.1kg (54cm) but has been corrected to 8.6kg on Bicyces Online, although the Bike Exchange listing still shows 8.1kg.
That correction was based on my review. Bicycles online realised their mistake and corrected it straight away.

I rode a 56cm frame, anmd it was about 8.7 out of the box and 9 rewady to ride wil alloy pedals & 2 bottle cages

bianchi928

Postby bianchi928 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:55 pm

Thanks everyone. I look forward to your review Michael.

Cheers

TMjpn

Postby TMjpn » Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:13 pm

I have a Polygon Helios, but an A5.0 (Alloy). I've had it almost a year. It's the latest bike I bought (I've owned a Cannondale Six, Kuota KOM, Merida Racelite, and now own a Scott Foil).

I did my research and chose it as it had the best spec at the price-point (I wanted a Boardman Road but it has sold out). I use it to train and commute on - The main reason I bought it as it very closely matched my Foils geometry. Despite being labeled Aero, its minimalist aero as the main part (the down tube) starts off in a fat teardrop but becomes diamond shaped for most of its length. The stays are slightly ovalised, the seat tube is squared off on the back edge like a Kamm, but its not quite a Kamm profile. Front fork blades are quite thin and the head tube tapers like an hour glass so its frontal area is kind of aero.

Anyway - to the bike itself. I don't have polygon carbon experience, and I doubt I will at first-hand pricing as there's not much difference pricewise to workhorse carbon frames of mainstream brands. They did have a team racing the A9.0 frames in the aussie series for a while though so they cant be that bad.

Build quality of my frame A5 is pretty solid. Welding is good and the tube forms are hardly agricultural/generic. There's not much tyre clearance in my frame but as its an A model (Race) and not a C model (endurance fit) that comes with the territory. I'd be able to squeeze a 25mm on but doubtful for anymore than that (seat post to tyre clearance).

Weight wise is pretty good: My 56cm bike with mostly 105 is between 8-9kgs I remember the frame weighing around 1200g and the fork around the high 300's to low 400grams. The fork is a full carbon job - only thing I found weird was the finish of the steerer tube; most brands have this generic matte carbon finish where the polygon item was very glossy - hasn't been a problem tho I cut it down like any other I've had, and it rides out bumps okay. It's tapered too, a nice little modern addition.

Ride quality is very stiff due to the alloy and the racier design. Works well when putting down the power, hardly any flex.

Paintwork leaves a little to be desired though. In my first 100m I hit a bump and the paint around the axle mounts a the rear chipped off a flake of paint about the size of a 10 cent piece. Also, some of the small decals are in the wrong place before the clearcoat was applied. And the design of Polygons logos (old and new) are quite boring and lack imagination. When I get the chance a strip and respray is on the cards.

Overall, though, I'm happy with it.

GAV!N

Postby GAV!N » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:51 am

I bought a Helios 500 (alloy/carbon fork) as my first bike a few years ago. Couldn't find anyone that could match their prices for what you get in terms of wheels/groupsets etc. Still can't really. They were very good to deal with. I had an issue with my Mavic wheel that came with it just within warranty time, and they helped me out and got it sought. Fantastic to deal with, good communication.

I haven't ridden their carbon lines, but I'll definitely consider buying one of their top of the line bikes when the time (and bank account) is right.

simonn

Postby simonn » Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:22 pm

I've ridden with a few people who have them (I live ~1km from their ironic retail store) and they seem happy. Keep up with the group etc etc.

IMHO, all you are missing is bling.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:23 pm

simonn wrote:I've ridden with a few people who have them (I live ~1km from their ironic retail store) and they seem happy. Keep up with the group etc etc.

What' ironic about their retail store?

simonn

Postby simonn » Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:38 pm

biker jk wrote:
simonn wrote:I've ridden with a few people who have them (I live ~1km from their ironic retail store) and they seem happy. Keep up with the group etc etc.

What' ironic about their retail store?
bicyclesonline.com.au?

joshbrad

Postby joshbrad » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:56 am

I've had one of the helios c8's for almost a year now and I like it. Was a great deal for the groupset and wheels when I bought it, but the frame has proven to be light and stiff, and 25mm tyres make it comfy for longer rides. I think you'd be hard pressed fitting anything bigger on it however, the clearances at the fork are pretty minimal. It's my first carbon road bike, so I can't compare it to the competition, but the stiffness and responsiveness compared to my steel bikes is another league. Had no problems with it so far, I'd definitely recommend for the value proposition alone!

NhiTrac

Postby NhiTrac » Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:07 pm

Have a mate who just picked up their top spec roadie with Di2 and has nothing but praises for it. Seems like bang for buck, you can't get anything better... If you're the type who doesn't need a 'branded' bike.
FOCUS Cayo
BMC Teammachine SLR01

175crank

Postby 175crank » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:05 am

Hey Bianchi 928, a mate bought a '12 Helios 800 frame from Parker's a couple of years ago, built it up with DA 9000 + zero's.
He's 125kegs and over the past couple of years has happily smashed it around the river and up the hills on a regular basis.
Frame hasn't missed a beat other than replacing the hanger last week, only 'cause orig was looking a bit soft.

bianchi928

Postby bianchi928 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:57 am

Thanks everyone and thanks Michael for the review.

Cheers

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:30 am

No problems. Any other questions, just ask !!