Flat 'non clipless' pedlas for a road bike

rodneycc

Re: Flat 'non clipless' pedlas for a road bike

Postby rodneycc » Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:09 pm

Yeah I was using the spank spike which is pretty similar to the Saint in a 17km x2 a day commute with normal New Balance 623 cross trainer sport shoes for a while but my feet and ankles were getting sore more than pedal slips or anything like that so thats why I went back to clipless.
2013 BMC TM SLR01;2013/14 Bianchi Inf CV
2013 Lynskey Helix;2013 XACD Ti Di2
2013 Giant TCR Adv SL1;2014 Giant Defy Adv SL

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:22 pm

The flat pedal specific shoes have stiffer soles like better quality clipless shoes. Perhaps they would have helped prevent your soreness issues?

apsilon

Postby apsilon » Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:05 pm

Not being able to use clipless I've tried a LOT of flat peddles over the years and have experienced foot pain/discomfort. From my experience it comes down to how much support the foot has. Basically the more contact area the more comfortable I find them (there's a point of diminishing returns of course so a complete platform isn't required).

Basically platforms like this http://www.this link is broken/wellgo-lu-950-alloy-flat-pedals" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and this for example http://www.this link is broken/mks-sylvan-touring-pedals" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; I find uncomfortable as very little of the foot is actually being supported compared to something like this (which is what I use on most of my bikes) http://www.this link is broken/dmr-v12-magnesium-flat-pedals-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I know it doesn't look like much difference but it makes a big difference for me. One I can only ride short distances before the discomfort starts the other I can ride any distance.

Stiff sole cycling shoes are another solution as they give a consistent platform regardless of the pedal support.

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:11 pm

Yeah maybe might of made a difference for distances greater than 10-15km like mine. Probably good I didnt know about them or I may not of given the clipless another go after having a few initial probs!

Top_Bhoy

Postby Top_Bhoy » Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:58 pm

rodneycc wrote:Yeah maybe might of made a difference for distances greater than 10-15km like mine. Probably good I didnt know about them or I may not of given the clipless another go after having a few initial probs!
Let me guess....with your soft soled shoes you felt every road vibration through your foot and felt the pedal spikes dig in at every pedal stroke made? :D

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:04 pm

Wasn't really the pins but rather the constant pressure on my feet and ankles over longer distance was like running that distance so a stiffer sole would of made a difference.

davesday

Postby davesday » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:22 pm

Anyone thought of Shimano A530 SPD single sided touring pedals? They are flat on one side and SPD on the other.

http://www.this link is broken.au/shimano-a530-s ... ng-pedals/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:13 am

davesday wrote:Anyone thought of Shimano A530 SPD single sided touring pedals? They are flat on one side and SPD on the other.

http://www.this link is broken.au/shimano-a530-s ... ng-pedals/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I got rid of my A530s. I wasn't using the flat side much, mainly because I found it didn't provide enough grip for the shoe. Replaced them with double sided SPDs and N+1 with flat pedals :)

I'd just start with whatever pedals I could find for flats. Once the rider is much more comfortable on the new ride (6months) then head for the clipless again, if it doesn't work again later then look for some better pedals.

I've got a box full of pedals, and surely someone near the OP could provide an old pair to kick off with.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

davesday

Postby davesday » Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:45 pm

bychosis wrote:I got rid of my A530s. I wasn't using the flat side much, mainly because I found it didn't provide enough grip for the shoe. Replaced them with double sided SPDs and N+1 with flat pedals :)
Bummer. I had hope the A530s are good. Sounds like the 'grip' thing may be a concern.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:56 am

A mate had Shimano M324. they look a lot better for grip on the flat side, but I haven't tried them.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

big booty

Postby big booty » Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:34 am

bychosis wrote:A mate had Shimano M324. they look a lot better for grip on the flat side, but I haven't tried them.
That's what I use. For me they are the perfect compromise pedal. Nice flat side and SPD on the other side when you want to use cleats.

cheers
rick

JPB

Postby JPB » Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:13 pm

Another vote for the Shimano M324. I can use runners and the flat side when I am riding with the family or ducking down to the shops or put my SPD shoes on when I am going for a "serious" ride.
I don't have the clip in tension set very high so they are easy to clip in and clip out.

tron07

Postby tron07 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:36 pm

davesday wrote:
bychosis wrote:I got rid of my A530s. I wasn't using the flat side much, mainly because I found it didn't provide enough grip for the shoe. Replaced them with double sided SPDs and N+1 with flat pedals :)
Bummer. I had hope the A530s are good. Sounds like the 'grip' thing may be a concern.
I am thinking of getting A530.... when commuting, I can use the flat side, and when require I can wear the cycling shoes. No experience with clipless pedals before.