Riding lights off eBay

limbot

Re: Riding lights off eBay

Postby limbot » Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:53 am

Update: Really happy with the ARC. Much nicer beam than the generic cree (with either smooth or orange peel reflector). Much smoother and wider beam without a harsh hotspot.

In Street light areas medium or even low is fine. For "commute" speeds in areas without Street lights medium was good and only changed up to high when doing an unlite cat 4 descent .

Even tested out the waterproofness unintentionally (started p1ssing down halfway) :)

Used the smaller strap on my OS bars and used the tilt down and twist up method and no twisting or jiggling of the light light reported in some reviews.

Already have 4 other Knogs (2 Blinders, 1 Blinder V and a Frog) and this meets my Knog expectations.

My only "concern" would be the 7 hour charge.
Last edited by limbot on Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheKaptone

Postby TheKaptone » Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:11 am

That is great to hear joyfully mine arrives soon as possible. Really glad you like it limbot

DaveQB

Postby DaveQB » Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:51 am

limbot wrote:Update: Really happy with the ARC. Much nicer beam than the generic cree (with either smooth or orange peel reflector). Much smoother and wider beam without a harsh hotspot.

In Street light areas medium or even low is fine. For "commute" speeds in areas without Street lights medium was good and only changed up to high when doing an unlite cat 4 descent .

Even tested out the waterproofness unintentionally (started p1ssing down halfway) :)

Already have 4 other Knogs (2 Blinders, 1 Blinder V and a Frog) and this meets my Knog expectations.

My only "concern" would be the 7 hour charge.
Great to read you like it. It is a good light.
limbot wrote: Used the smaller strap on my OS bars and used the tilt down and twist up method and no twisting or jiggling of the light light reported in some reviews.
Can I have more information here? Mine constantly tilts up as I ride and I have to hand push it down every 10mins. Haven't done a lot of riding with it, so it hasn't driven me crazy yet
Ht: 182cm | Wt: 84kg | Bikes: Felt AR1 2016, Felt B2 2013
Sucessful Trades --> files.dward.us/Cycling/BNA-Trades.txt

limbot

Postby limbot » Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:55 am

DaveQB wrote:
Can I have more information here? Mine constantly tilts up as I ride and I have to hand push it down every 10mins. Haven't done a lot of riding with it, so it hasn't driven me crazy yet
When you secure it , don't have it pointing straight . Put it on the bar with the light pointing down towards your front tire, do the buckle up and then twist the light up so it's pointing straight ahead where you want it to point.

Does that make sense ?

I've only done 21 km s with it but not on smooth roads and it didn't start pointing up at all.

DaveQB

Postby DaveQB » Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:34 pm

Hmm I see, thanks.
I understand what you are saying. I don't follow the physics behind how this works though.
I think I once put it on putting into the ground so I wouldn't have to touch it and it still ended up pointing into the sky all on it's own.

limbot

Postby limbot » Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:05 pm

Dunno, but the original idea actually came from good old BNA :)

https://www.bicycles.net.au/2014/04/kno ... ht-review/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Stickiness, tension, friction, grip, black (rubber) magic ????

I'll do a ride after work tonight and see if it moves or not :)

limbot

Postby limbot » Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:18 pm

Another 30 kms on roads and bike tracks. Lots of off pavement to road and back onto pavement. No movey at all.

I really should try without the "twist" but that'd just be pushing my luck :p

DaveQB

Postby DaveQB » Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:02 pm

limbot wrote:Another 30 kms on roads and bike tracks. Lots of off pavement to road and back onto pavement. No movey at all.

I really should try without the "twist" but that'd just be pushing my luck :p
Interesting. What size are your handlebars?

limbot

Postby limbot » Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:26 pm

31.8 mm standard Avanti Zero Attack Pro alloy

DaveQB

Postby DaveQB » Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:51 pm

Mine's the same clamp size.
ARC 5.5 right?

limbot

Postby limbot » Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:29 am

Yeppers......

Ross

Postby Ross » Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:33 am

ldrcycles wrote:
TheKaptone wrote:Thanks Ricky that looks like a great mash up I will look further into it

Rusty I was trying to keep it under $50 for now.
Under $50 this is pretty much it besides tiny blinky lights. I have one and have never had any trouble, my brother has one that he used as a headlamp while hiking through a storm on some mountains in NZ. But at this price you are playing the chinese lucky dip, maybe it will be perfect like mine, maybe it will work once and then fail.

Oh and despite what they say in the listings, none of these come anywhere near 1,800 lumens, more like 800ish.
Bought one of these lights for the MTB. I haven't ridden in the dark with it yet but just testing it in the garage it seems quite bright, more so than the AYUPs. The flashing mode was not tolerable (without even looking directly at it) for more than a few seconds. I can imagine this could easily trigger an epileptic seizure. The light itself looks to be of decent quality construction wise, it's aluminium and feels solid. SImilar the battery and pouch looks to be of decent quality as well.

The cable has a good snug fitting electrical connection with a cover to protect the connection from the weather It took me a couple of minutes to work out how to attach the battery and pouch to the bike (no instructions are supplied with the light kit). The cable that is attached to the light and also the cable attached to the battery is too long IMO and even with the battery mounted as far back on the top tube toward the seatpost as it will go, it droops down and would get in the way and catch on something if not secured. Might be better to try and mount it on the helmet and put the battery in my rear jersey pocket but the cable will still be too long.

TheKaptone

Postby TheKaptone » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:25 am

First ride this morning with the new light. It is very bright which is exactly what I was after. Glad I was convinced to go a bit extra and get it. Happy days

tez001

Postby tez001 » Fri May 08, 2015 10:43 pm

Those chinese Ebay lights, are they a bit too bright (even on a low setting) for road riding?

Currently I have a Cygolite 280 lumens front light on the commuter and on lit roads, its fine, however when I'm on unlit paths I fine its *just* adequate.