Looking for a durable puncture resistant tyre. Gatorskins?

CyclingMitch

Looking for a durable puncture resistant tyre. Gatorskins?

Postby CyclingMitch » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:57 am

Hello everyone,

I'm new to cycling, currently riding a Reid Osprey (2014).
In the last two rides I've had two punctures using the stock tyres.
Fed up with flats, i'm in search of a new more reliable tyre. Looking around online, it seems gatorskin are a popular choice. Does anyone have any experience with these?
As I said I'm new to cycling, so I'm looking for something reliable more than something super slick and fast. At this point it's more about keeping my cycling interest alive as opposed to increasing my performance.
I mainly ride on bike paths, however one strip of chip seal road is causing me all kinds of dramas, which i'm hoping to put an end to with this purchase.

timbo

Re: Looking for a durable puncture resistant tyre. Gatorskin

Postby timbo » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:23 am

Ask 10 people for their recommendation for a tyre, and you will probably get ten different answers.
What one person swears by, another person will swear at.
Having said that, a more puncture resistant tyre will have a kevlar belt built into it, providing more (but not complete) protection, so this is something you should be looking for.
Does the Osprey come with 700x23 tyres? If so, perhaps look at a 700x25 tyre instead, if it will fit. (Perhaps a phone call to Reid will answer that question) It is a slightly wider tyre, and it has just a little bit more give in the tyre, and run to recommended air pressures, not over pressure.
I have run Gatorskins on my bike in the past without problems, so it gets my tick.

CyclingMitch

Postby CyclingMitch » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:29 am

Thanks for the reply timbo.
The Osprey does come with the 700x23 tyres, I'll have to do some research as to whether the 25s will fit.
Is there any downside to running the 25 over the 23?
I've seen a few posts saying the 25s are faster?
Also, what psi do you ride at?

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:54 am

Read a few of these blog posts about tyre width and pressures http://janheine.wordpress.com/?s=Tire+pressure" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

tez001

Postby tez001 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:28 am

Ive got 25mm Gatorskins and they have been pretty reliable on my roadie.

Having said that, I had a spare set of 23mm Vittoria Rubino's which I put on the commuter and they have clocked up 3000kms so far and have been just as good, yet cheaper. The rear is needing replacement now so I wont get the same kms out of the Rubino's as I have the Gatorskins.

kukamunga

Postby kukamunga » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:33 am

25's wil fit the Reid easily

Check the stock Reid rim tape, and replace if not good quality

Regularly check tyre pressures

Gator HardShell 700 x 23 or 25

Schwalbe Marathon 700 x 23 or 25

Try Cecils if in Melbourne

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:40 am

I've used the following 3 tyres which seem to fit your requirements:

- Gatorskin 25c: Pretty good, haven't had any punctures yet. It rolls well and despite what a lot of the commentary says, they grip quite well as well. Unless you are racing crits and hammering corners, you're not going to lose traction with these easily.
- Schwalbe durano raceguard: This is not the plus version as the plus version is not a direct competitor to the gatorskin and has an extra foam layer. These roll well as well and grip good. Not as grippy as the gatorskins as the compound is slightly harder, but these last much longer than the gatorskins - about double I'd guess.
- Specialized roubaix armadillo 25/28c. So this supposedly has a 25c tread with a 28c casing. A bit of a marketing gimmick but still a good tyre. Grip is about between the gatorskins and durano, the wear is really good as well also somewhere between the gatorskins and durano. The big bonus of this tyre is it is so bulletproof. I had this on my commuter for 2 years havign no care for glass or anything. Only one puncture and that was jumping a gutter and landing on a little sharp end of the bluestone paving. Even then, the tyre was intact and the tube was punctured (no idea how that works). It wore well as well - pretty much i gave them up because after 2 years they were cracking a bit on the sidewall.

My pick is the specialized tyre.

*Edit: don't get the marathon unless you want a really heavy tyre that can withstand nuclear wars.
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
Bike crushed by car (RIP)
No brakes bike
Ebike

jtrappett

Postby jtrappett » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:48 am

The best thing I've found is Mr. Tuffy Tyre Liners. Since installing them I've not had one puncture in 5,000 kms... and this in tyres that I had several in previously. Google it to find more info and read reviews. I bought them on eBay.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:53 am

CyclingMitch wrote:Hello everyone,
I'm new to cycling, currently riding a Reid Osprey (2014).]
Welcome - see the box labelled "search"? You'll find this topic is regularly discussed.

eg Tyre width? quite recently

and perhaps the grand daddy of them all Best tyres for commuting?
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:27 am

Only a spate of 2? Ah, young padawan..

Whenever you get a flat, it always pays to look at the time of repair, whether roadside, pathside or at home, to help determine what caused the flat. Whilst it usually is but it's not always the tyre. It can be pinch flats to due dramatic over or under inflation, some movement of rim tape (depending on style & quality) exposing a spoke hole's sharper edge or even damage to the replacement tube by pinching with a lever by a tight tyre bead being.

However, through my riding life, my number 1 cause of repeated flats has been not properly finding and removing the cause from the tyre. Let's just say I developed better habits slowly.

Good practice is to always to install the tyre brand or logo at the valve hole. Hook the tyre back over one half of the rim wall and you can easily still rotate it around before any tube is reinstalled to line up the logo with the hole. This serves as a reference point for when the tyre is off during repair and you find an obvious (or not so obvious) hole in the tube. You hold the damaged tube up by the valve itself, or lay it down roughly as a circle with the valve being 12 o'clock. Where the known hole is in the tube, say... 3o'clock or 7 o'clock is where you go to look directly at the tyre first for any remaining glass/nail/metal shard still in the rubber.

If you don't find anything at the example 3 o'clock or 7o'clock - assume the tube was flipped and look at 9 o'clock and 5 o'clock.

If the tube puncture hole wasn't found or obvious I always still do a cursory complete check of the inside face of the tyre surface by doing a funny little routine of pressing a short section inside out with my hands for visual inspection and do a shuffling 2 handed rotation of the whole tyre feeling as much of the inner surface as possible. If you can do it in direct light, any tiny glass shard should reflect it and be obvious against the black. Hopefully you see the cause before you feel it ;)

As for tyre choice? As others have said, it can be a religious debate... along with chain maintenance and lubrication.... and .... and ...

Not all modestly priced tyres are nasty though. Some are certainly better than others. Quality has been known to vary between production batches of the same make & model. If your budget is tight, developing a few habits and tricks, and knowing how to look for causes should still see you getting good life out of even modest tyres. Small nicks and cuts are harmless once the cause is removed. However anything that's left an obvious hole from the inside of the tyre; say anything bigger than 0.5mm should really be booted from the inside. For on the road repairs I cary a couple of folded over pieces of cloth or duct tape roughly 25 x 35mm square in my kit. Some people use $5 notes for the same purpose. Once I am home, I properly tape over the hole with a more lasting piece that's not going to move.
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

kb

Postby kb » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:09 am

Another nice outcome of putting your tyres on the same way each time is, if you patch, the thicker, stronger patch will be where the hole or unfound cause is :-)

skydance

Postby skydance » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:18 am

I ride Gatorskins (>5000km on a set). Durable tyre with somewhat weak sidewall (got one ripped). Much more durable compared to GP4000s2, and has almost the same grip.

However if you are looking for an ultimate puncture protection, you might want to get a set of Maxxis ReFuse. Those are somewhat heavy (who cares, really) but bulletproof.

reefer

Postby reefer » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:34 pm

I have tried all the types mentioned above and have settled on Schwalbe Marathon Plus on both my commuter and roadie. I also run 28c on the roadie, they just squeeze past the brakes. 32c on the commuter.
I was getting up to 2 punctures a week and have only had 1 in the last 12 months with SMP on both bikes.
Sure, they are a little slower to get up to speed but have plenty of grip for my speed (up to 35km/hr).
Reliability trumps performance for me.

wgc138

Postby wgc138 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:09 pm

Another vote for ReFuse, I currently use these for commuting and they're holding up extremely well considering the numerous times I've driven over broken glass accidentally. Inspect it every few days and patch it up using shogoo, done.
The Vitorria's are also nice and durable, Rubino and Zaffiro. Just remember, durability means the tire is heavier and slightly uncomfortable to ride on, the latter wont be an issue if you go a size up, i.e., 23 to 25, 25 to 28.

I ride the conti's as well, from 4seasons, gp's, gator's. They're good, perfect if the roads are better but I can't always ride these where I ride.

Just remember to pump up your tires before each ride and check the tires every week for little tears and cuts.

CyclingMitch

Postby CyclingMitch » Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:34 am

Thanks for all your replies!
I've been looking online at some of the options listed. As a full time university student, budget is an important component and has quite a weighting in my decisions. That being said, I would still want a quality product. On eBay, there's a pair of Maxxis ReFuse 700 x 25, also including two tubes for a little over $50. The gatorskins are around that price each!

Still haven't confirmed the purchase, thoughts?

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:48 am

CyclingMitch wrote: there's a pair of Maxxis ReFuse 700 x 25, also including two tubes for a little over $50. The gatorskins are around that price each!

Still haven't confirmed the purchase, thoughts?
Refuse is a decent enough tyre and tough enough, in my experience (managed to wear mine down to the protective belt, only one puncture).

And mostly my experience is driven by price. Gatorskins etc might be as good but were two to three times as expensive
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:45 am

singlespeedscott wrote:Read a few of these blog posts about tyre width and pressures http://janheine.wordpress.com/?s=Tire+pressure" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
interesting article, let down by no mention of rider and bike weight, which is a major determinant of optimal tire pressure.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:55 am

jtrappett wrote:The best thing I've found is Mr. Tuffy Tyre Liners. Since installing them I've not had one puncture in 5,000 kms... and this in tyres that I had several in previously. Google it to find more info and read reviews. I bought them on eBay.
Assuming your rim tape is not the cause, then I'd +1 this. You can wear out the current tyres and then run any tyre you want. Just transfer them to your new tyres. I've put some in two of my bikes. I commute along a sharepath that is concrete reinforced with metal fibres which were giving me regular punctures. So much so that I would regularly pull off the tyre, inspect and remove the metal fibres, finding up to 10 on one occasion. Since installing the tyre liners (about $20 per pair) I haven't had one puncture caused by something puncturing the tread of the tyre (had one from a rim tape issue)
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Scott2468

Postby Scott2468 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:26 am

bychosis wrote:
jtrappett wrote:The best thing I've found is Mr. Tuffy Tyre Liners. Since installing them I've not had one puncture in 5,000 kms... and this in tyres that I had several in previously. Google it to find more info and read reviews. I bought them on eBay.
Assuming your rim tape is not the cause, then I'd +1 this. You can wear out the current tyres and then run any tyre you want. Just transfer them to your new tyres. I've put some in two of my bikes. I commute along a sharepath that is concrete reinforced with metal fibres which were giving me regular punctures. So much so that I would regularly pull off the tyre, inspect and remove the metal fibres, finding up to 10 on one occasion. Since installing the tyre liners (about $20 per pair) I haven't had one puncture caused by something puncturing the tread of the tyre (had one from a rim tape issue)
+2 on this but you can and will get the odd punture. I reckon Mr Tuffys reduce wire & glass puntures by 10X.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:36 am

bychosis wrote: I've put some in two of my bikes. I commute along a sharepath that is concrete reinforced with metal fibres which were giving me regular punctures. So much so that I would regularly pull off the tyre, inspect and remove the metal fibres, finding up to 10 on one occasion. Since installing the tyre liners (about $20 per pair) I haven't had one puncture caused by something puncturing the tread of the tyre (had one from a rim tape issue)
Who was responsible for that little piece of engineering brilliance? :x
Dogs are the best people :wink:

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:41 am

warthog1 wrote:
bychosis wrote: I've put some in two of my bikes. I commute along a sharepath that is concrete reinforced with metal fibres which were giving me regular punctures. So much so that I would regularly pull off the tyre, inspect and remove the metal fibres, finding up to 10 on one occasion. Since installing the tyre liners (about $20 per pair) I haven't had one puncture caused by something puncturing the tread of the tyre (had one from a rim tape issue)
Who was responsible for that little piece of engineering brilliance? :x
Built quite a while ago before they realised I think. Latest share paths are built using fibreglass reinforcing around here. You can see the fibres in the surface now, but it looks more furry than spiky.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:02 pm

CKinnard wrote:
singlespeedscott wrote:Read a few of these blog posts about tyre width and pressures http://janheine.wordpress.com/?s=Tire+pressure" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
interesting article, let down by no mention of rider and bike weight, which is a major determinant of optimal tire pressure.
Jan weighs 71kg and I believe his Rene Herse Randonneur weighs 12.5kg

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:57 am

Another vote for Gators from me. I've got them on both of my roadies (commuter & "play" bike); I cannot remember the last time I had a puncture. On the rear 12,000-odd km is normal lifespan, on the front I don't know..... 20,000km & counting. :)
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:25 pm

You are obviously not a superstitious man Duck :o
I reckon you have hexed yourself now.
Thats a great run nonetheless :)
Dogs are the best people :wink:

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:21 pm

bychosis wrote:
Assuming your rim tape is not the cause
Mr Tuffy tape is prone over time to causing punctures due to the edge and any overlap causing abrasion of your tube. When I used them on a Broken Hill RFDS ride this occurred to me on the last day of the ride - the line of the rub, matching the shape of the Tuffy's end, was very clear at the puncture site. You can minimise this by carefully chamfering the tape ends and/or trimming them to exact size with no overlap. A bit too much hassle for me.

In preference I now use Vittoria Randonneur Cross tyres, which have a belt within the tyre tread construction that is basically a Mr Tuffy layer. These tyres have never had a penetration for me in over 10 years of use.
Last edited by il padrone on Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."