Was he having a lend of me? Hed Belgium + for $700

DaveQB

Re: Was he having a lend of me? Hed Belgium + for $700

Postby DaveQB » Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:26 pm

Blakeylonger wrote:I used some fulcrum 5s for road, then CX, then commuting, then was hit by a car which broke my collarbone, they were still true after all that. Good factory option.
Impressive!
Ht: 182cm | Wt: 84kg | Bikes: Felt AR1 2016, Felt B2 2013
Sucessful Trades --> files.dward.us/Cycling/BNA-Trades.txt

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:03 pm

Blakeylonger wrote:I used some fulcrum 5s for road, then CX, then commuting, then was hit by a car which broke my collarbone, they were still true after all that. Good factory option.

Or... If you don't mind paying shipping and perhaps getting your LBS to tweak the tension on them later, this is a straight up banger of a wheelset. Great hubs, great rims, great price.
http://www.velomine.com/index.php?main_ ... ts_id=3242" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you can't fit tyres to TCR/TLR rims, you're doing it wrong, start opposite the valve, get the bead down in the well and go from there.
Perhaps you should instil your infinite wisdom on this topic:
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=83462

Aside from yourself it is universally known that installing a tyre and tube on tubeless ready rims is typically more difficult than onto a "traditional" non tubeless ready rim.

Blakeylonger

Postby Blakeylonger » Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:30 pm

CXCommuter wrote:Perhaps you should instil your infinite wisdom on this topic:
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=83462

Aside from yourself it is universally known that installing a tyre and tube on tubeless ready rims is typically more difficult than onto a "traditional" non tubeless ready rim.
whatevs duder. I never said it was equally easy, I said; start opposite the valve, get the bead in the centre well, then work your way around the tyre, this is contrary to 'conventional wisdom' for fitting clinchers and it catches most people out initially, but there's logic behind it. Obviously it's going to be a little harder than a trad clincher rim, but I've had lever snapping 90s Campy rims that have been even harder to install tyres onto than the tubeless setups I use, be they TL or tubed. If you put a wire bead tyre on a TLR rim for some reason, yeah, it's going to be tough, and super tough to get it back off the bead shelf, likewise, if you use a traditional rim tape on a TLR rim instead of tape you'll be in for a ton of headaches with tubed setups.

And in reference to GP4000s on 6800s, I had zero issues getting GP4000s in 23 and 25mm and Ultremo ZX 23s onto WH-7850 which uses a very similar TLR scandium-aluminium alloy extrusion with bead shelf and no internal spoke drilling.

Rex

Postby Rex » Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:12 pm

DaveQB wrote: The set for $700. He was saying it was a great deal and if they bought the parts in again it would cost a lot more. He weighed the set in front of me and they were 2.0-2.1 kg
That is heavy, but excuse the silly question but did it have cassette/tyres on them?

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:40 pm

Blakeylonger wrote: start opposite the valve, get the bead in the centre well, then work your way around the tyre, this is contrary to 'conventional wisdom' for fitting clinchers and it catches most people out initially.
But that's exactly the way clinchers are normally fitted? :?
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

Blakeylonger

Postby Blakeylonger » Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:45 pm

ldrcycles wrote:
Blakeylonger wrote: start opposite the valve, get the bead in the centre well, then work your way around the tyre, this is contrary to 'conventional wisdom' for fitting clinchers and it catches most people out initially.
But that's exactly the way clinchers are normally fitted? :?
*most* cyclists can barely change a tube full stop, and the 'conventional' tubed clincher wisdom for many is to start at the valve with the tube/stem up in the tyre and work around from there to finish opposite the valve. This doesn't work for tubeless as the valve doesn't move and the internal protrusion takes up well space and reduces slack to get the bead on.

vnbozza

Postby vnbozza » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:26 pm

The weight doesn't seem right at all - did it have tyres and cassette on?

HED Ardenne CL wheelsets (which use a HED Belgium rim, but a HED hub) has a 24\28 spoke count are 1630grams - can't see some extra spokes a a different hub adding up to over 400g of weight

Incidently - HED Ardennes CL's retail for a bit over $1000 - so on that comparison, $700 sounds ballpark right (not a super deal, but not a rippoff either), dependent if the weight is wrong and the LBS give you warranty.

As mentioned before, HED Belgiums get a lot of good reviews for toughness and handling and are the first choice for many wheelbuilders for an all-rounder stiff wheel, as well as h plus son archetype.

That been said - unless you are a Clydesdale or pump out crazy wattages or ride offroad a lot, 32 spoke sounds like overkill for your riding, so wheelsets like Fulcrums are probably better value for money.

lynskey_rider

Postby lynskey_rider » Wed May 06, 2015 7:04 pm

Have to agree with Blakeylonger here, those Bontrager paired spoke wheel sets have a less than stirling reputation when it comes to cracking rims. 87kg isn't exactly huge. Just get some wheels that are well built.
Suggestions above have all been great options, just depends on your budget!