First time road bike buyer

Bolan

First time road bike buyer

Postby Bolan » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:45 pm

Looking at taking up road bike riding from total scratch, currently doing 100km a week on my Avanti mountain bike on bike tracks around town, I wish to double my distance on a new road bike. So here are a few details about my body shape to help with sizing:-
I'm 181cm tall
115kg
People I know that ride, seem to be split about brand new & second hand, I'm open to advise/recommendations on this and everything else that will be listed below, I'm looking at spending up to $2300-$2500 for the whole get up
so what I need is:
Bike to suit my size, of course, open to frame types, also recommended gear set ups/Brands, wheels ect...
Clothing, allow for all seasons
Shoes, prefer clip in
Computer, do I need one or can my Iphone do just as good a job with the right app
repair tools for on the road
drink bottle set up's
lights
any other little odds & ends that I may have missed.
If a bike store owner or anyone can assit is looking at this & is happy to do a deal on the whole get up I would love to hear from you as well.
Really looking forward to feedback as a first time poster!!!

Bolan

bychosis

Re: First time road bike buyer

Postby bychosis » Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:24 am

By the look of that list I'd be aiming for a $15-1800 bike and leave the rest for gear.

There is no reason you couldn't use your current riding gear for a while, including shoes if you have clip ins. You don't have to look like the pros to ride a roadie. I ride in mostly MTB gear on my roadie. I only have one pair of shoes, and they are MTB shoes and MTB SPDs on my MTB, roadie and fixie as it's convenient to run the same stuff across the lot and MTB is where I started and have the most interest (if not time) in.

An iphone and Strava will track your riding very well and if not using the screen will run for over 8hrs. A basic wired computer will give you a speed/distance reading on your bars for cheap but a Garmin or similar is a good upgrade for down the track.

I usually carry a multi tool with a chain breaker built in and carry a mini pump and spare tube/s (and a phone for when it can't be fixed)

Drink bottles could also be carried over from your MTB. A bottle and cage are cheap, nothing wrong with a plastic cage for most bikes. I ride up to 1.5hr with one bottle or less (in other than very hot weather), just start out well hydrated. I have two cages on my roadie and a camelbak for MTB for longer rides.
Lights will be determined if you are riding during the night or in non-street-lit areas. Daytime you only need a decent blinky, night time is a different story.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Bolan

Postby Bolan » Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:47 am

Thanks Bychosis, what are you thoughts on a second hand bike with say ultegra gear & really good quality wheels & stuff or should I look (AT) a new bike & upgrade later maybe?

KGB

Postby KGB » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:34 am

It all depends on your ability to pick the good deals. I found a Lemond road bike with Ultegra 10 speed for a mate for $400 a few years ago. 2nd hand bargains are out there and you can save a LOT if you know what youre looking at. You can also end up with someone elses pile of problems and clapped out bike if you dont so weigh that up when deciding.

As posted, a lot can be reused or transfered from your mtb. Things like tools and clothes I think are best accumulated as you need them. No point going out and buying a bunch of stuff you might not end up using or even finding it's not exactly what you need. For example, you might think winter tights are a must but then work out you only need them on the coldest mornings and a pair of leg warmers are more use.

Is probably go to a good bike shop and spend $2000 on a bike. That will get you something with a good, name brand frame and probably 105 level components. Use the rest for upgrades and mods to suit your riding style, weight, clothing and tools.

davesday

Postby davesday » Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:43 pm

bychosis wrote:An iphone and Strava will track your riding very well and if not using the screen will run for over 8hrs. A basic wired computer will give you a speed/distance reading on your bars for cheap but a Garmin or similar is a good upgrade for down the track.
A lot of people use their phones as the head unit running Strava these days. Recommend OP to get a Topeak drybag/phone holder and a Bluetooth 4.0/LE cadence & speed sensor. Check for Strava compatibility though. Some phones like Sony supports ANT+ so choice for sensor widens. Otherwise stick with Bluetooth 4.0/LE sensors.

But of course if you're planning for a proper bike computer, aim for GPS computers in a bundle (e.g. Garmin Edge series are good). I started with using my iPhone 6+ but later realise its too awkward on a bike. :P

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:57 pm

Bolan wrote:Thanks Bychosis, what are you thoughts on a second hand bike with say ultegra gear & really good quality wheels & stuff or should I look (AT) a new bike & upgrade later maybe?
You're not asking me but my thoughts on second hand are assume the groupset is on the way out unless it's very obvious it's still good condition. I don't really value groupset because they are consumables. For a first time buy I'd just go for 105 and drop as much as I can on the wheels. They are more noticeable than anything on a road bike imo.
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
Bike crushed by car (RIP)
No brakes bike
Ebike

tomlaulau

Postby tomlaulau » Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:26 am

I would strongly recommend buying a brand new bike if you are to get one with carbon frame. This is because most of the warranty only applies to original owner.. My cannondale has a lifetime warranty which says it will cover any manufacture faults for the lifetime of the original owner.

Just a thought...

tron07

Postby tron07 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:25 pm

I got a $10 bike computer from Aldi... lol

but I got a Fitbit Surge to do the GPS and HR tracking for me

davesday

Postby davesday » Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:23 pm

I've got the Fitbit Surge too but it doesn't track cycling activity properly at the moment. I believe a new firmware is being tested in North America. But at this moment its not really useful. Which mode do you use?

I only use the Workout mode and then select Bike as the category to apply proper calculations on the app.

tron07

Postby tron07 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:19 am

When riding, I usually set to hike (or walk) mode, so the GPS activate. I only need it to track the distance/GPS and HR.

I just use the speedo and temp on the Aldi bike computer. Fitbit's respond is slow, should have just waited and get the apple watch instead.

davesday

Postby davesday » Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:09 am

Tron, quick update. I just realised a new firmware update is now available for the Surge. It now has a dedicated cycling mode and as expected it will use GPS and HR for tracking. So at least we get speed, distance and calories (not sure about elevation).

The update will be available by stages (so it may take a few days before reaching you).

Link: http://help.fitbit.com/articles/en_US/H ... =1&l=en_US" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

tron07

Postby tron07 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:51 am

Fitbit did email me about the updated bike tracking over the weekend, but I havent tried it out yet as weather is not permitting.

Spaniel

Postby Spaniel » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:00 am

I'd recommend initially carry over as much of your MTB gear as you can, then invest in quality road gear (knicks etc) later on as you get more into it and have saved some money. The cheap end stuff wears out pretty quickly- pay peanuts, get monkeys.