New tubes... Does brand matter?

CyclingMitch

Postby CyclingMitch » Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:12 pm

Hi all,

I'm looking at purchasing some new tubes as I've used the spare one supplied upon purchasing my bike.
Taking a look on eBay, there seems to be a large difference in price per tube from different manufacturers.
My question to you, ladies and gentlemen, is as follows. Is there a large difference in quality among different inner tube manufacturers?
For example, there's a pack of 10 Venzo tubes on eBay for $35. For the same price I can purchase around 3-4 of the Continental brand.
What should I look for in a tyre? Are these simply differing in brand name or quality also?

Thanks,
Mitch

KGB

Re: New tubes... Does brand matter?

Postby KGB » Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:25 pm

Tubes hold the air (hopefully!) and otherwise just fill the volume of the tyre. If its just for training or recreational riding then i usually load up on a 10 pack from torpedo 7 when they're on sale. This works out at about 2.50 per tube or less. An advantage of the heavier Tubes is that the thicker rubber may actually give more puncture protection.

For racing, i use super light butyl (eg Conti Supersonic ) or latex. Both give a better ride and weigh less than a cheapo but cost significantly more.

Others will have different opinions but that's what has worked for me over the last few years.

NhiTrac

Postby NhiTrac » Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:44 pm

My rides are commute/training therefore the tubes I buy are as cheap as possible. The cheaper the better. If I get a flat I simply chuck it instead of patching it up.
FOCUS Cayo
BMC Teammachine SLR01

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:56 pm

I've used the Venzo tubes and had no trouble.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:58 pm

I'm of the option that as long as it holds air a dicta a Presta valve it's good to go. I don't worry about brands.

kb

Postby kb » Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:34 am

It might be less environmentally friendly but I like tubes that come shrink wrapped. Take up less space in the saddle bag and are less likely to get chafed.

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:16 am

Lifeline tubes for me (Wiggle) I want cheap but also hold air without splitting or blowing a seal.

slidetaker

Postby slidetaker » Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:07 pm

Non removable valve core if you are using a pump with screw-in pump head.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:45 pm

The tube is responsible for keeping you safe and upright. The tyre does not achieve this, it provides grip and protects the tube. Given how much you love inflating tyres and crashing I would recommend a cheap tube to maximize opportunity for failure and using your pump.

Even at 20 bucks a tube, the inconvenience of failure is intolerable to me. I pulled up during the last dash to the coffee shop and stopped 6 mates because it was the second flat for me. Worth spoiling our fun over a tube? Nope.

The flipside is the flatted tube was gold plated. That's life.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:18 am

99% of the time the cause of the puncture has nothing to do with the tube.

Tim

Postby Tim » Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:53 am

slidetaker wrote:Non removable valve core if you are using a pump with screw-in pump head.
Which genius decided that Presta valves needed removable cores.
Has to be the one of dumbest designs ever.
Use a traditional screw-on pump hose, unscrew it, guts of the valve come off with the hose, tyre instantly deflates.
I'd not experienced these till recently. Why not put a left hand thread on the core so it doesn't undo when you unscrew the pump?
Are they are a new thing or just on the "quality" Continental tubes.
No more Conti tubes for me. Back to the cheapo's and patches.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:13 am

I have removable cores on my tubes. Before using them, I tighten the core up with some needle nosed pliers. That stops the core coming out when you uncrew the pump hose.
I had read something about the Lezyne pumps being modified to be more friendly with removable cores, but mine is a few years old.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

Tim

Postby Tim » Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:17 am

queequeg wrote:I had read something about the Lezyne pumps being modified to be more friendly with removable cores, but mine is a few years old.
Mine is too and despite tightening the valve core with pliers they occasionally come loose if I don't remember to gently tighten the hose.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:42 am

singlespeedscott wrote:99% of the time the cause of the puncture has nothing to do with the tube.
Agree, puncture is usually an external issue but deflation is not just caused by punctures :)

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:21 am

I don't know how you guys can sit in the coffee shop knowing you are not using premium brand tubes & instead have cheapies hiding inside your tyres
Anything you can do, I can do slower

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:47 am

queequeg wrote:I have removable cores on my tubes. Before using them, I tighten the core up with some needle nosed pliers. That stops the core coming out when you uncrew the pump hose.
I had read something about the Lezyne pumps being modified to be more friendly with removable cores, but mine is a few years old.
Yes the new Lezyne pumps use ABS (air bleed system) to aid removal of the head from the valve without inadvertently unscrewing the valve core. Mine is an older model but you can purchase an ABS head for it. I haven't bothered, instead using Vittoria 42mm tubes which don't have a removable valve core.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:01 pm

Tim wrote: Which genius decided that Presta valves needed removable cores.
It would make it possible to add sealant to the tube. Not that you need sealant if you do the sensible thing and get Maxxis Refuse tyres :P .
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

Tim

Postby Tim » Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:13 pm

Ah, so there is a purpose to them.
Vittoria for me next time.

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:03 pm

biker jk wrote:
queequeg wrote:I have removable cores on my tubes. Before using them, I tighten the core up with some needle nosed pliers. That stops the core coming out when you uncrew the pump hose.
Yes the new Lezyne pumps use ABS (air bleed system) to aid removal of the head from the valve without inadvertently unscrewing the valve core. Mine is an older model but you can purchase an ABS head for it. I haven't bothered, instead using Vittoria 42mm tubes which don't have a removable valve core.

I have the ABS button thingy, I still need to make sure the valve core is cinched up tight.

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:05 pm

ldrcycles wrote:Not that you need sealant if you do the sensible thing and get Maxxis Refuse tyres :P .
I tried them once. Maxxis Refuse are exactly that - refuse. :wink:
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...