buying a new road bike

qazwsx

buying a new road bike

Postby qazwsx » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:52 pm

Hi guys,

I'm currently deciding between these two bikes to buy, and i just want to get some opinions on which one is a better option. Thanks.

http://www.bikeexchange.com.au/a/road-b ... /102664879" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.bikeexchange.com.au/a/road-b ... /102517167" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

qazwsx

Re: buying a new road bike

Postby qazwsx » Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:17 pm

does anyone have experiences with norco road bikes? how is the brand in general?

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:16 pm

Norco are very well-known for mountain bikes, and that arena is their forte. Their roadies would be quite dependable but possibly not the most inspiring bikes around.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:47 pm

I would say the Propel if you have had a couple of years road riding experience but not necessarily if its your first roadie ( you might find the ride a bit harsh). I'm with Duck on the Norco roadies, great commuter bikes but not so much your better end road bikes. Have you had a look at the Giant Defys and TCRs? They are pretty good value. But go for a few test rides and see what appeals..
2013 BMC TM SLR01;2013/14 Bianchi Inf CV
2013 Lynskey Helix;2013 XACD Ti Di2
2013 Giant TCR Adv SL1;2014 Giant Defy Adv SL

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:36 pm

qazwsx wrote: I'm currently deciding between these two bikes to buy, and i just want to get some opinions on which one is a better option. Thanks.
What do you want to do with your new bike?

Long days in the saddle covering huge distances, then look elsewhere.

Ride hard with your local coffee shop ride? Race?

Either of these two will do that job. The difference the Giant, everything is mechanical Ultegra. The Norco has Di2 shifting and everything else is down a level 105 brakes, chain and cassette and would say the same about the crankset and wheelset. So the Giant is an all round package, the Norco has the advanced shifting, but lower level components elsewhere (excluding the frame, don't know enough about either)

It depends if you want electric or manaul shifting. Manual go the Giant (or save $500 and go get an Avanti DR with 105 and free helmet and shoes). Electric either stump up an extra $1000 for the next level up in the Propel or buy the Norco, we you have the cash upgrade the wheels, when the chain and cassette wear out get Ultegra and the 105 brakes should stop you just as good.

More on the Norco http://pelotonmagazine.com/goods/norco-tactic/

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:47 pm

Don't forget to compare on the following:

- warranty length for the frame in particular. Giant is a lifetime, presumably lifetime of the original owner. I don't know Norco's.
- check for people's experience with warranty claims. Giant sells heaps of bikes and I've heard generally good things about warranty claims. I don't know anyone with a Norco, nor anything about their Australian distributor. So how a warranty claim unfolded would be difficult to discover. If they are trying to build market share, they might be very good.
- The Giant propel's brakes are widely considered to be mediocre. Two guys I know with Propels upgraded to the expensive but best mech brake I've ever tested, Fourier viewtopic.php?f=44&t=74586" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
- I'd also suggest you take a set of digital scales (hanging type) and weigh the bikes. Might sound over the top, but bikes are very very much priced on weight, and you want to be sure what you are paying for.
- both wheelsets are quite heavy. The fulcrum racing 7s on the norco are 1850 grams, and from memory the propel's are over 1800 too. If you weigh over 90kg, you might want to stick with these.
- geometry. They both look like they've got race geometries, but you might want to check the effective top tubes on both, and length of the stems. and test ride both, really test ride. get in the drops sprint, climb, etc.

- regarding Ultegra 22spd mech vs Di2, the latter will probably hold its value better as it attracts a premium. Most who have it seem to think it is way better. I have both and to tell you the truth, I wouldn't buy Di2 again. I think mech is now really good, and I know how to keep it tweaked so don't really have issues. Where I think Di2 has issues is I sometimes don't know immediately if the shift was successful, or whether I shifted twice. This is especially so when there's a lot of surrounding noise. I don't think the slender upshift levers are ergonomically well designed. I don't think they've designed them with much forethought for guys wearing thicker winter gloves. The front upshift is also quite harsh, and favors pedaling faster to facilitate a change, whereas I am used to pedaling softer with mech. When regularly alternating rides on the two bikes, it is challenging to moderate finger pressure accordingly.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:27 am

Duck! wrote:Norco are very well-known for mountain bikes, and that arena is their forte. Their roadies would be quite dependable but possibly not the most inspiring bikes around.
... and Giant are known as the Toyota of bicycles: reliable, but bland and boring. So possibly even less inspiring than Norco. :P :lol:

You don't see too many Norcos around. Apart from the FSA cranks, which I'd swap out in the medium term because the bearings in the BB are generally poor quality, it looks like the much better value bike. Di2 at the same price as Ultegra cable shifting groupset is not to be sneezed at. And Giants are pretty sharply priced anyway so that really is a very good deal for the Norco.

The cranks will be fine in the short term though.

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:24 am

A guy at work has been riding a belt drive Norco commuter for years. It looks a great bike. And while the above review looks promising I'm a little wary of articles that say come back and read the full review soon. Just not enough info out there for me to be comfortable about a Norco Roadie.

Btw I like boring reliable bikes. You can also add fast to that which you don't realise it until you strava your rides and go wow I really didn't feel like I was going that fast and how come I am here 5 mins early!
2013 BMC TM SLR01;2013/14 Bianchi Inf CV
2013 Lynskey Helix;2013 XACD Ti Di2
2013 Giant TCR Adv SL1;2014 Giant Defy Adv SL