Go :D
Gordon

Riding: Trek Domane SLR 7

Duck!
Expert

Re: Best 35mm Carbon Wheelset

Postby Duck! » Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:18 pm

Also Shimano Dura-Ace C35.

From workshop experience, out of your list Campag & Zipp are good, Bontrager OK, but tend to be a tad variable in reliability, Reynolds are frequent visitors (read fragile, they have a bad habit of blowing spoke nipples apart), Enve I don't have much experience with.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

flashpixx

Postby flashpixx » Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:48 pm

Duck! wrote:Also Shimano Dura-Ace C35.

From workshop experience, out of your list Campag & Zipp are good, Bontrager OK, but tend to be a tad variable in reliability, Reynolds are frequent visitors (read fragile, they have a bad habit of blowing spoke nipples apart), Enve I don't have much experience with.
Thanks Duck! Any thoughts on the 88 hubs on the Zipps? Have heard various issues including relatively short life prior to rebuild. How would the C35 compare with Zipp or Campag. Leaning towards the Bora Ones but Zipp get good reviews for all round performance.
Gordon

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:46 pm

Only thing I've noticed with the more recent Zipp hubs is that the bearings are very sensitive to preload tension and do tend to be a bit more "rumbly" than one would expect for a premium wheel, and definitely more noticeable than older models. I don't know if it's connected to the recent (well, a few years ago now) acquisition by SRAM, but the cynic in me suggests that a decline in quality following such an event is not without precedent.

flashpixx

Postby flashpixx » Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:11 pm

Duck! wrote:Only thing I've noticed with the more recent Zipp hubs is that the bearings are very sensitive to preload tension and do tend to be a bit more "rumbly" than one would expect for a premium wheel, and definitely more noticeable than older models. I don't know if it's connected to the recent (well, a few years ago now) acquisition by SRAM, but the cynic in me suggests that a decline in quality following such an event is not without precedent.

So either full carbon Campag or Carbon/Alloy C35? Plus I'll need to swap the freehub on the C35 to Campag.
Gordon

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:57 pm

flashpixx wrote: Plus I'll need to swap the freehub on the C35 to Campag.
That rules out the C35s then.... No Campag compatibility with any of Shimano's wheels.

nezumi

Postby nezumi » Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:46 pm

flashpixx wrote: Plus I'll need to swap the freehub on the C35 to Campag.
Not necessarily - if you can put up with the indignity of having Shimano branded wheels, you can survive having a Shimano cassette on there - and according to Zinn, all 11 speed cassettes are cross compatible with all 11 speed drivetrains.
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4
2015 Merida Scultura 5000

Dirty32

Postby Dirty32 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:21 pm

From a pure coffee shop posing perspective, I think the Enve's would take the cake...
They seem very well regarded by many and other than lightweight's, seem to be 'the' wheel to have!

But..... Given the provenance of your bike (even if it was made somewhere in Asia!), the purists would probably tip the hat just as much to the Campags. From a purists perpective, I think they are the best choice. Apparently a fantastic wheelset!

The others are all good of course, but either of those 2 would be where I would start. Preferrably the Campags, and I am a Shimano man!

flashpixx

Postby flashpixx » Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:16 pm

Dirty32 wrote:From a pure coffee shop posing perspective, I think the Enve's would take the cake...
They seem very well regarded by many and other than lightweight's, seem to be 'the' wheel to have!

But..... Given the provenance of your bike (even if it was made somewhere in Asia!), the purists would probably tip the hat just as much to the Campags. From a purists perpective, I think they are the best choice. Apparently a fantastic wheelset!

The others are all good of course, but either of those 2 would be where I would start. Preferrably the Campags, and I am a Shimano man!
Yes the Enves... they do seems to be de-riguer at the coffee shop. Not my cup of tea however (pun intended :lol: ).

The Campags are the pick but at $3,800 RRP are not a value for money proposition that is easily justified (The Bora Ones (ie not "Ultra") with steel bearings are about $1k less). And I did open this thread with cost is no object.

The Zipps can be had locally for $3,300 which is still a decent investment. They do get fantastic reviews from anyone that has tried them. The hubs do raise a question however, particularly at this price point.

In the back of my mind is that carbon braking is cr@p and even worse in the wet. Although Zipp and Campag do seems to be the better performers.

Shimanos are around $2k but are Alloy plus carbon... plus the freehub issue.

Interestingly the C35 are apparently (based on my research) far and away the best alloy + carbon wheels around with Mavic the only competitor but Mavic are not in the same league even if similar in price.
Gordon

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:10 pm

Pinarello?

Campagnolo. Hands down.

Dirty32

Postby Dirty32 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:59 pm

Yes... You did say that budget was not a consideration.

If its value you are wanting, with the same brand recognition and esteem from the manufacturers you mention, your likely to pick up a set of the Zipp 404 FC's for around $2k - $2.5k locally... They are obviously a deeper wheel than the 303, but because they are more widely available, they can normally be found cheaper. Thats good value and a good wheel, at that price. I have the latest version (apparently a revised hub, different rear lacing for a stronger wheel) on my Propel and absolutely no complaints... Braking has also been good.

Or... go the other way. Buy my Reynolds... Cheap (we'll find you a cheap 11sp Ultegra cassette somewhere and ill do you a special price, Gord!), and a great intro wheel. Ride the hell out of them to get a feel for carbon wheels and if you find that you want more, you've got some idea for what you want to lead toward in terms of any particular attribute that any given wheel offers.

Shameless plug, I know... But it'd narrow down any future search for me, in terms of me buying a next wheelset. What I value, what I dont... etc. If you find you that you dont know what the fuss is all about and the value isnt there, you havent spent a small fortune (and lets admit it, $3k + on bicycle wheels is a little exhorbitant) trying it out!

flashpixx

Postby flashpixx » Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:27 pm

Haha I did consider your Reynolds but discounted them as I'm running Campag Record groupset.
I'm pretty set on 35 mm based on my needs and riding ability.
Went down to Parkers to get a price on the Campags this arvo. That will give me a real cost to play with. Zipp is also a possible if the new hubs are good.
To be continued. ..
Gordon

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:03 am

Not sure if this is helpful, but I was bored one day and having read...

http://intheknowcycling.com/2014/04/29/ ... ke-wheels/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

flashpixx

Postby flashpixx » Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:14 am

moosterbounce wrote:Not sure if this is helpful, but I was bored one day and having read...

http://intheknowcycling.com/2014/04/29/ ... ke-wheels/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks.. lots of reading to do :)
Gordon

snortin

Postby snortin » Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:59 am

flashpixx wrote:
moosterbounce wrote:Not sure if this is helpful, but I was bored one day and having read...

Flash - if you can handle tubulars, I suggest considering the 3T Mercurio. Massive discount on them through this bikeexchange shop http://www.bikeexchange.com.au/a/road-b ... /102524097

I have got a pair of the 60mm deep Mercurio being delivered today or tomorrow, the final piece for my dream bike build....

Bonus is they are 11 speed ready and the hub is compatible for all groupsets (hybrid campag shimano)

For $1000, VERY hard to beat in terms of value. Fairly light, aero, great price.

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:55 pm

flashpixx wrote:

Have read that before. total joke of an article. Some guy goes online shopping, compares the specs and separate reviews of a bunch of wheels, and comes to a conclusion. A conclusion that the "best value" is a wheelset costing $1800... :roll:

Put an opaque curtain between the rider and the wheels and I doubt most people could pick the difference between most of them.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:00 pm

The thing that got me is it is excessively verbose & rambling, making it a very difficult read, yet lacking in detail where it's needed most.

flashpixx

Postby flashpixx » Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:06 pm

snortin wrote:
flashpixx wrote:

Flash - if you can handle tubulars, I suggest considering the 3T Mercurio. Massive discount on them through this bikeexchange shop http://www.bikeexchange.com.au/a/road-b ... /102524097

I have got a pair of the 60mm deep Mercurio being delivered today or tomorrow, the final piece for my dream bike build....

Bonus is they are 11 speed ready and the hub is compatible for all groupsets (hybrid campag shimano)

For $1000, VERY hard to beat in terms of value. Fairly light, aero, great price.
Thanks snortin

keen to see pix when your build is finished.

I'm pretty set on 35mm rims, but thanks anyway :D
Gordon

nezumi

Postby nezumi » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:14 pm

flashpixx wrote:
snortin wrote:Flash - if you can handle tubulars, I suggest considering the 3T Mercurio. Massive discount on them through this bikeexchange shop http://www.bikeexchange.com.au/a/road-b ... /102524097
Thanks snortin

keen to see pix when your build is finished.

I'm pretty set on 35mm rims, but thanks anyway :D
FYI, the set snortin linked is 40mm :)
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4
2015 Merida Scultura 5000

Rex

Postby Rex » Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:47 pm

Have you seen Xentis wheels?

Probably not available locally, but they're 100% made in Austria, are just about as aero as 404's and apparantly have the best brake surface in the business.
Except they're not 'wide' 24mm

flashpixx

Postby flashpixx » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:25 pm

nezumi wrote: FYI, the set snortin linked is 40mm :)
so they are... didn't see that :shock:
Gordon

flashpixx

Postby flashpixx » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:26 pm

the deed is done, placed an order for some Campy Bora One 35 mm x 24 mm carbon clinchers.
Last edited by flashpixx on Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gordon

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:14 pm

flashpixx wrote:the deed is done, placed an order for some new 35 mm x 24 mm carbon clinchers.

Rex

Postby Rex » Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:22 pm

effing lol :D

flashpixx

Postby flashpixx » Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:09 pm

:mrgreen:

Gordon