Bike weights

GJM

Bike weights

Postby GJM » Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:11 am

It's not going to be the determining factor and I wish I could just google the answer simply.
But alas.
Does anyone happen to know the weight of a Giant TCR Advanced SL 2013/2014 as it rolls out of the shop, fitting with DA 9000?

And while I'm at it, does anyone know the weight of a CAAD10 Black?

Thanks.

Tim

Re: Bike weights

Postby Tim » Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:20 am

This isn't a very satisfactory answer but my 2013 mechanical DA9000 TCR Advanced SL weighs a bit less than 8kg with aluminium Ultegra pedals, rear light and bottle cages and no component mods.
My 2009 CAAD9/1 (very similar to CAAD10) with standard DA7900 configuration, RS80 wheels and similar add-ons to the TCR weighs about 1kg more.
I can ride just as fast on one as the other. Depends mostly on who I am chasing.
If i were blindfolded I doubt I could tell which bike is which in terms of comfort, handling, speed or climbing ease.

GJM

Postby GJM » Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:53 am

Thanks Tim.
So according to that, the Giant TCR Advanced SL 2013 with mechanical DA 2009 - minus the pedals/cage/light - would weight around the 7.5-ish mark (without properly do the maths).
Which is higher than I expected. But good to know.
Thanks again.

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:55 am

What size?
(not that I have an answer even if you provide that info)

Tim

Postby Tim » Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:01 pm

GJM wrote:So according to that, the Giant TCR Advanced SL 2013 with mechanical DA 2009 - minus the pedals/cage/light - would weight around the 7.5-ish mark (without properly do the maths).
TCR with mechanical DA9000 etc. Small size.
Very approximate weight. I don't own very accurate scales, just the bathroom variety.
I doubt very much the TCR weighs in under 7Kg without the extras.

KGB

Postby KGB » Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:34 pm

Go in to a shop and ask them to weigh one for you. Even the "same" bike in the same size from the same manufacturer will vary in weight between two samples. Tolerances of +/- 10% are very common for components so worst case scenario you could have a significant difference between two seemingly identical bikes.

GJM

Postby GJM » Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:36 am

Thanks KGB.
The +/- tolerance is on each individual part, so unless you're really unlucky the bounces up and down across the various components are likely to pretty much even themselves out. Within reason. A bike quoted as 7kg is never going to turn out to be 6.3 or 7.7, which is how it might sound when +/- 10% tolerance is mentioned. I'm always amazed by the number of brands who won't publish weights. Weight is only one of many worthy factors but I like to know what I'm buying. It's one of the reasons I've never before contemplated a Giant.

KGB

Postby KGB » Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:06 pm

I hear you, I love to know the weights of my bike and components. I can understand why bike companies don't list weights though.

mitzikatzi

Postby mitzikatzi » Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:14 pm

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/like/2518526 ... 107&chn=ps" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:46 pm

A 2014 TCR Advanced 1 with ultegra 6800 and giant wheels P-SL1, in a ML size, weighed 7.6kg without pedals.
i.e.
http://www.bikeexchange.com.au/a/road-b ... /102277845" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The wheels are around 1800g so potential to knock off 400g there, if you are not a clydesdale.
They handle brilliantly, as you'd expect a frame with classic race geometry.

Considerations are that they have a proprietary stem and seat post, and cranks are compact pro (52:36).

I'd expect the Giant you asked about might weight up to 200g lighter in a ML size, on considertion of the frame and groupset alone. (there might be more weight saving on the wheelset)

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:26 pm

According to this listing (not sure of the source/accuracy) a TCR Advanced SL1 (Dura-Ace) weighs 6.7kg.

http://www.giant.so/thread-4052-1-1.html

GJM

Postby GJM » Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:31 pm

Thanks for the replies. Very interesting. If it's 6.7, I'm in :)
Will get a bike shop to weigh one.

singlespeedscott

Bike weights

Postby singlespeedscott » Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:03 pm

Bike weight is a stupid thing to get hung up on.

You've got to remember your going to dump your carcass on the thing to ride it so a couple of kg here or there is going to make naff all difference in your KOM STRAVA time up the local burg.

What's more important is how the bike responds to your pedaling inputs. Whether seated or standing, cruising or under power, when fresh and after 150km in the saddle. How it handles tight slow speed turns and high speed descents. In my mind these are the factors that determine a good frame, certainly not its weight.

GJM

Postby GJM » Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:49 pm

I have two road bikes.
One is a kg heavier than the other.
And yet the kg heavier bike goes up tHe local hill faster than tHe lighter bike. It does because it's stiffer, better fitted, more responsive etc. Weight isn't everything. It's one important factor of many. No matter how many times you say that it's not the only factor, people still read what they want to read.
That said, weight is still an important factor, and I like to know it.
I've taken an enormous amount of weight off my body in the past two years. I am now lighter than I was, literally, when I was 13. Getting my personal weight down is far more important to me than getting my bike weight down. But I want to get my bike weights down too.
Because every little improvement matters. Across the board.
Wanting to know the weight of your bike doesn't mean that it's your only consideration, or that you're not putting in the hard yards yourself.

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:14 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:Bike weight is a stupid thing to get hung up on.
It'd be a stupid thing to get hung up on if bike manufacturers didn't price bikes relative to weight.

Tim

Postby Tim » Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:32 pm

The decision to buy my TCR was based on value for money (nothing else came close to the TCR end of season discount price at the time), reputedly good warranty back-up, our LBS is a Giant dealer and we have no other LBS within a 70 Km radius, excellent reviews and, I reluctantly admit, the fact I'd seen a few in the pro race lineup (most other pro level bikes cost multiple thousands of dollars more).
I didn't ask how much it weighed, and didn't care. As I and others mentioned, it makes next to no difference.

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:41 pm

Tim wrote:The decision to buy my TCR was based on value for money (nothing else came close to the TCR end of season discount price at the time), reputedly good warranty back-up, our LBS is a Giant dealer and we have no other LBS within a 70 Km radius, excellent reviews and, I reluctantly admit, the fact I'd seen a few in the pro race lineup (most other pro level bikes cost multiple thousands of dollars more).
I didn't ask how much it weighed, and didn't care. As I and others mentioned, it makes next to no difference.
I'm a bit cynical about people who say weight doesn't matter Tim.

Did you test ride a sub $1000 Read Falco Elite roadie?
http://www.reidcycles.com.au/falco-elite-road-bike.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tim

Postby Tim » Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:29 pm

Last edited by Tim on Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tim

Postby Tim » Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:47 pm

CKinnard wrote:I'm a bit cynical about people who say weight doesn't matter Tim.
It's true. I knew the bike had to be reasonably light but the actual figure wasn't of any great concern or interest at the time of purchase. I minor consideration. The quality of the product and durability mean much more to me than raceboy bragging rights or insignificant weight gains or losses measured in grams. I just don't care for the weight weenie marketing ploy. As demonstrated, after close to 2 years of ownership I still don't accurately know how much the bike weighs. I jumped on the scales with my bike to try and answer the OP's question, it's the first time I've weighed any of my bikes, other than a fully loaded touring bike for curiosity (and bragging rights :)) sake.
CKinnard wrote:Did you test ride a sub $1000 Read Falco Elite roadie?
Nah, nearest Read dealer is probably 300Km's from here.
Actually, I have never test ridden any of the bikes I own, nor seen any of them in the flesh prior to buying them. A little like saddle choice I've been lucky enough to have adapted easily to whatever I ride/own, of course making sure that frame size, stack and reach measurements have fallen within an acceptable range, give or take about 10mm. Although the years are advancing I've maintained good flexibility and general fitness all my life and have never been troubled by bike fit issues. My aches and pains are mostly work and (earlier) lifestyle related.

KGB

Postby KGB » Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:51 am

GJM wrote:I have two road bikes.
And yet the kg heavier bike goes up tHe local hill faster than tHe lighter bike. It does because it's stiffer, better fitted, more responsive etc. Weight isn't everything. It's one important factor of many. No matter how many times you say that it's not the only factor, people still read what they want to read.
I've taken an enormous amount of weight off my body in the past two years. I am now lighter than I was, literally, when I was 13. Getting my personal weight down is far more important to me than getting my bike weight down. But I want to get my bike weights down too.
Wanting to know the weight of your bike doesn't mean that it's your only consideration, or that you're not putting in the hard yards yourself.
Good post.

tron07

Postby tron07 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:05 pm

CKinnard wrote:
http://www.reidcycles.com.au/falco-elite-road-bike.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
What is wrong with the Falco Elite?

At $699 for a 2014 model, or wait for the LTDF sale for the 2015, what other new bike at such price come close to it?
http://www.reidcycles.com.au/2014-falco ... -bike.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:09 pm

Would be an awesome value trainer/commuter

shutuplegs

Postby shutuplegs » Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:01 pm

tron07 wrote:
CKinnard wrote:

At $699 for a 2014 model, or wait for the LTDF sale for the 2015, what other new bike at such price come close to it?
http://www.reidcycles.com.au/2014-falco ... -bike.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I think they're all sold out in the usual sizes (S, M, L)... Was considering getting one for commuting too but no Smalls left in Aus...

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:04 pm

tron07 wrote:
CKinnard wrote:

Nothing wrong with them if weight "really" doesn't matter.

nezumi

Postby nezumi » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:17 pm

GJM wrote:I have two road bikes.

The thing is, it is a readily quantifiable touchpoint, whereas things like stiffness, fit, response etc can't be readily measured in a way that is understood by the consumer.
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4
2015 Merida Scultura 5000