'Needed' MTB accessories, newbie, what do you suggest

mitzikatzi

Re: 'Needed' MTB accessories, newbie, what do you suggest

Postby mitzikatzi » Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:36 pm

Countryteen It is about what works for you.

So far I have been lucky and never lost stuff from a saddle bag. I never put hard stuff in my pockets. I have seen horror bruise pictures of people who have crashed with stuff in there pockets. Once or twice I have landed on my back and been grateful for the soft water bag on my back.

I live where it is hot. Gatorade in the bottle only ever water in the camel pack. I often drink all I carry.

Your riding is different to what others do. Bottle are cheap. I have had success with cheap alloy bottle holders. I have also been happy with cheap hydration packs. The bite valves can leak so if you get a cheaper one get one with a tap.

You don't need the best at the beginning. Just functional then you will work out what works for you.

Too much on your back can be uncomfortable.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:50 pm

mitzikatzi wrote:Dusk! What chain breaker do you carry? Thanks
Just a generic bog-standard one.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:54 pm

I bought a saddle bag. First ride it promptly fell off 6 times. Lucky tail end charlie collected 6 times for me! I upgraded my old Camelback and all my tools go in that now. Safe on my back now. Absolutely crucial to be carrying ID on you. Never know what can happen on the trail.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

countryteen

Postby countryteen » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:02 am

In my opinion it appears that a hydration pack is going to work out better for me. I found this pack on sale at Rays outdoors for $30. http://sourceoutdoor.com/en/outlet-hydr ... black_grey
2011 Trek 8000

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:45 am

I've had a saddle bag on for years. If I recall correctly have had one fall off twice due to user error installing it, and one opened up a couple of times before I worked out how to close the zipper the best way. The zipper in question was a double zip that opened vertically, ie up, over and down. Closing it with the zips to the top was asking for it to open, closing it with both zips down one side has meant it hasn't opened by itself since. Making sure a saddle bag doesn't bounce around much helps keep it in place, pack it full and attach it firmly.

Mostly I ride with a pack on for commuting. In the last couple of years I've stopped using my camelbak for shorter MTB riding and found the air around my back a nice change. I used to have issues with it moving around over jumps and such, but since adding a waist strap (it is so old they didn't have one then) it is much better on my back and I still use it for long rides or when I expect I will need more than one bottle full for the ride. My MTB only has room for one bottle cage, the roadie has two cages.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

countryteen

Postby countryteen » Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:35 pm

I think I might go with a pack because it is more multi purpose than a saddle bag etc. Not that water bottles would be a problem because my bike has two cages and a place for a third.
2011 Trek 8000

countryteen

Postby countryteen » Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:20 pm

I got a package today... :D It contained a chain checker, lube (rock & roll), a pump, a saddles bagand (It was $8 and it got me over $100 so free postage, so I thought I would give it a go), chainlinks, a pair 661 recons (alright, the strap is a bit minuscule and they are a little tight. How are they supposed to fit?), a park tool multi tool (I was going to get a crank brother's one but it went out of stock while placing my order :x ) and last and maybe least a glueless patch kit. I still plan on getting a hydration pack. And I may get another pair of gloves (any suggestions?). Thanks for all your help and suggestions.
2011 Trek 8000

countryteen

Postby countryteen » Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:20 pm

I got a package today... :D It contained a chain checker, lube (rock & roll), a pump, a saddles bag and (It was $8 and it got me over $100 so free postage, so I thought I would give it a go), chainlinks, a pair 661 recons (alright, the strap is a bit minuscule and they are a little tight. How are they supposed to fit?), a park tool multi tool (I was going to get a crank brother's one but it went out of stock while placing my order :x ) and last and maybe least a glueless patch kit. I still plan on getting a hydration pack. And I may get another pair of gloves (any suggestions?). Thanks for all your help and suggestions.
2011 Trek 8000

mitzikatzi

Postby mitzikatzi » Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:00 pm

I prefer a 12" ruler to a chain checker.
I just got those gloves too (mainly because of a link to gloves you posted got me thinking about new gloves :o )
. No padding on the palm which some people like (I prefer a little padding) . They were cheap so I will use them till I find some more on sale gloves. Buying online is a risk when it comes to sizing. My current gloves the strap has fallen off they don't do much anyway.

countryteen

Postby countryteen » Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:10 pm

Did you get the rage's or the recon's? I have never used gloves before I only got them because someone told me that if you lose the skin off your hand they graft it in from your foot which apparently is not something worth trying...
2011 Trek 8000

mitzikatzi

Postby mitzikatzi » Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:48 pm

Recons. Finger length is good but they are very "narrow" gloves.

Hard to wipe your bum when your hands are all bandaged up. That is why i wear gloves.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:56 pm

mitzikatzi wrote:Hard to wipe your bum when your hands are all bandaged up. That is why i wear gloves.
:lol: Gold!

Yes. Full finger gloves ONLY. I don't understand these roadies who ride bare-handed.

countryteen

Postby countryteen » Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:04 pm

mitzikatzi wrote: Finger length is good but they are very "narrow" gloves.
Same problem here.
2011 Trek 8000

countryteen

Postby countryteen » Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:06 pm

What gloves do you use?
2011 Trek 8000

mitzikatzi

Postby mitzikatzi » Tue May 26, 2015 12:44 pm

countryteen wrote:What gloves do you use?
After about 1000km I quite like these (the ones you posted above). I have done 6 hour days in them with no complaints. They stretch a little but remain snug. Didn't seem to pick up too much mud. Worked well wet.
http://www.this link is broken/au/e ... prod112615" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

countryteen

Postby countryteen » Tue May 26, 2015 6:30 pm

I got a pair of them but as I said earlier they were too small. I am currently using Fox Monza's (can't find them anywhere online, bought them at pushys). I also picked up a garmin edge 705 so am having some fun with that.
2011 Trek 8000