Speedplay pedals - first hand experience for a road bike?

hitch

Speedplay pedals - first hand experience for a road bike?

Postby hitch » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:22 am

I've got a mate who's looking to upgrade from a crusty old bike to something v new and nice - currently looking at a pinarello. He's got MTB SPD's on his current bike, but wants to get some decent pedals for the new bike. He's considering speedplay pedals, but he (and I) don't know of anyone who has actually used them in real life. A lot of talk about speedplay pedals is from the US. They don't seem to be that common in Europe or Australia.

Does anyone have much experience with Speedplay pedals generally? Specifically for a roadbike would they be appropriate? Are there any pros and cons over SPD-SL or Look pedals when riding long distances or racing?

Cheers.

rodneycc

Re: Speedplay pedals - first hand experience for a road bike

Postby rodneycc » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:47 am

Yep love em. All four of my roadies have them on. Double sided, easy in and out, lightweight, great for your knees with the float and overall just great. I like the light action variety. The only problem is you can't walk very well in spd-sl shoes because they are so stiff and the cleat is rather raised and exposed. I suggest you buy some keep on kovers z with them to protect the cleats and I've also got some platformer 2.0 converters so if going down the shops I can wear runners with them ($38 from bikebug and $29 for the kovers).

I have a couple of pairs of Sidis one with spd-sl 3 bolt and a speedplay specific 4 bolt pair. Both great and not much in it. I do like the speedplay specific sole because there is less room to bugger up the cleat placement and the lower stack height.
Last edited by rodneycc on Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
2013 BMC TM SLR01;2013/14 Bianchi Inf CV
2013 Lynskey Helix;2013 XACD Ti Di2
2013 Giant TCR Adv SL1;2014 Giant Defy Adv SL

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:53 am

most people on speedplays like the ease of entry (just a smidge harder than spds), which is me.

One of the cons (for me atleast) is the pedal wears as well as the body. Meaning complete pedal/cleat replacement for me ... which is a bit disappointing as they are so pricey in comparison.

Some people believe the loose float system has help them solve knee issues/injuries, so if your mate doesnt have any knee issues then this is a non-issue at the moment.

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:35 am

TMjpn

Postby TMjpn » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:49 am

Been using them for a few years. Cro-mo's and SSteel version (zeros).

I came across from SPD-SL and I'm happy I did. Once you develop a knack for locating them off the lights they become second nature. Double sided engagement - very quick to clip in and go.

As mentioned before, the cleats do wear with use (more so than the pedal body) but they will give you a lot of k's before that happens.

They do need you to pay mind to servicing them every once in a while (re-greasing the bearings). The cleats are not very cheap at $50 a set but they last longer than the plastic/nylon SPD-SL cleats from what I've found. With the covers they do even more so.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:58 am

I use them and love them.

Ease of entry and exit is similar to mountain bike SPDs. They are double sided, and click into place simply by stepping down into them. While tension is not adjustable, float is. I particularly like the freedom in the float action - even better than Shimano mtb pedals. Some don't like this, it makes them feel a little insecure, but I found I adapted very quickly. Road bike SPD (SPD-SL) made my knees sore from the drag in the float action.

Normal road bike SPD-SL pedals you have to kind of hook your cleat into since they hang down. If you miss, your foot slips forward off the pedal. I found this happened a few times when cycling in traffic and was very disconcerting. Not fun when you have a taxi tailgating you in a rush to get the next red light, let alone a bus. :(

Speedplays usually go in first time, but if I don't quite get it right I can still spin the cranks over a couple of times to get momentum up without the shoe flying off the pedal and crashing my family jewels into the top tube.

I consider myself a beginner road bike rider, although I've been riding mountain bikes for over 8 years and racing for more than 5. I don't do group road rides very often.

However, I had a laugh to myself when I found myself inadvertently caught up in the last two Bobbin Head Classic rides. Each time, very seasoned-looking road bike riders in MWCC, LACC, and DHCC club jerseys were busy faffing about trying to get their feet into their SPD pedals for a good 100-150m after taking off from a standing start at the lights. I thought "Ah, it wasn't just me :lol: "

You can get Keep-On Koverz to protect the cleats from wear, although the metal is quite hard-wearing and the cleats will outlast several sets of plastic SPD-SL cleats. The Kovers need to be lightly glued on with Shoo Goo or you tend to lose them. Maintenance is minimal.

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:32 am

Apparently the keep in kovers z3s are supposed to be a better fit so you don't lose them. I haven't lost one for a while so haven't had a chance to test them out but go the z3s from bikebug...
2013 BMC TM SLR01;2013/14 Bianchi Inf CV
2013 Lynskey Helix;2013 XACD Ti Di2
2013 Giant TCR Adv SL1;2014 Giant Defy Adv SL

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:43 am

What is the difference between the V1 and V2 pedals? Torpedo7 has some on sale at the moment, but they are V1 pedals apparently.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:05 pm

queequeg wrote:What is the difference between the V1 and V2 pedals? Torpedo7 has some on sale at the moment, but they are V1 pedals apparently.
I think its just the cleat shims. The V2 are supposed to fit more types of shoes or they fit all shoes better. You can just buy the V2 shims from wiggle ...

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:07 pm

eeksll wrote:
queequeg wrote:What is the difference between the V1 and V2 pedals? Torpedo7 has some on sale at the moment, but they are V1 pedals apparently.
I think its just the cleat shims. The V2 are supposed to fit more types of shoes or they fit all shoes better. You can just buy the V2 shims from wiggle ...
So the actual pedals are the same? Since I need new shoes for them anyway, I can match them to the shoes. New bike time you see :-)
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

Rex

Postby Rex » Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:24 pm

Speedplays are excellent.
But if you don't like maintaining your gear then I would consider something else.
They do need regreasing every so often which is messy but otherwise part and parcel of a fine product.

Cleats are expensive, but last me about 18 months.

mogwaiboi

Postby mogwaiboi » Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:53 pm

I've been using Speedplays for years. I only greased my last pair a couple of times and they lasted for 6 years. Having this kit available http://www.this link is broken.au/speedplay-alum ... plate-kit/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; is also a bonus if you like having your cleats further back on the shoe. Speedplay have recently come out with their own cleat covers http://www.speedplay.com/index.cfm?fuse ... kablecleat" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; but they don't seem to be widely available as yet. Very easy to clip in, as long as you don't over torque the cleat screws (this seems to be a common mistake).

I recently put some Time Xpresso pedals on my commuter and as far as single sided pedals go, they are very easy to engage. Having a wider body on the Times I do notice a bit of difference in stability but nothing major.
Avoiding pissed of bogans in SUV's...

mogwaiboi

Postby mogwaiboi » Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:57 pm

Double post
Last edited by mogwaiboi on Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Avoiding pissed of bogans in SUV's...

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:09 pm

AHHHH I didn't know the aero cover was compatible with all Zero cleats. Giddy up. I've noted that my Keep on Kovers would have to be killing me aerodynamically :roll:

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:50 pm

Xplora wrote:AHHHH I didn't know the aero cover was compatible with all Zero cleats. Giddy up. I've noted that my Keep on Kovers would have to be killing me aerodynamically :roll:
can anyone confirm that? The pictures certainly dont make it look like the outer casing would fit on a zero cleat. Maybe just the middle bit?

My first pair of zeros have lasted 4000km + 7 more more months of riding. I don't have proper records on strava telling me how many kms I rode in those 7months. But I'd guess in the region of 1000 to 2000km. I don't walk in them, not a cafe goer usually. While the left plate is starting to see significant wear there is still life left on it. But the pedals have started rocking (probably started rocking quite a while ago, unfortunately didnt keep track, but I will with the new pair) so on with new cleats and pedals.

I did try a combination of old cleat new pedal and new pedal old cleat. Both exhibited the rocking, not huge but noticeable on the left when riding. Not so much on the right.

Rex

Postby Rex » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:58 pm

Mine rock and move around significantly but it doesn't affect my pedalling and they have never unclipped unintentionally.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:47 am

People are talking about worn cleats, I have done probably 10-15k with mine and no issues. I have had keepon kovers for much of that time though. My cromoly pedal spindles are rooted though by lack of TLC. Rain riding, don't forget to grease them once a year lol

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:02 am

Xplora wrote:People are talking about worn cleats, I have done probably 10-15k with mine and no issues. I have had keepon kovers for much of that time though. My cromoly pedal spindles are rooted though by lack of TLC. Rain riding, don't forget to grease them once a year lol
Sounds like some post-ride pedal talk is in order for Saturday. I am leaning towards speedplay for new bike.

Rex

Postby Rex » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:11 am

I left mine without regreasing for too long and now they have a 'click' that I can feel which is rather annoying unless I regrease them probably once a month, especially on the indoor trainer.
I have a rebuild kit but just haven't found the time to rebuild them.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:35 am

queequeg wrote:
Xplora wrote:People are talking about worn cleats, I have done probably 10-15k with mine and no issues. I have had keepon kovers for much of that time though. My cromoly pedal spindles are rooted though by lack of TLC. Rain riding, don't forget to grease them once a year lol
Sounds like some post-ride pedal talk is in order for Saturday. I am leaning towards speedplay for new bike.
Might be able to sell you some cheeeeeep if they are going on the commuter... you use the same pedals ;)

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:05 pm

Xplora wrote: Might be able to sell you some cheeeeeep if they are going on the commuter... you use the same pedals ;)
I commute on SPD. No cleats to ruin. Have SPD on my Road Bike right now, but looking to move to something else. Gives me an excuse to buy new shoes with new bike (and new helmet)

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:21 pm

The Keepon Kovers are just as good a solution as SPD tourer shoes ime. You do get better grip, on the shoes, sure, but the cleat still pokes out a tiny bit and can scratch the floor. Or catch carpet. The question is, ho often do you unclip? I actually measured 4 unclips on my Seven Hills Rhodes commute one day, 20kms. Quite incredible really, considering it was lots of windy bike path and definitely not the M2 commute.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:29 pm

Xplora wrote:The Keepon Kovers are just as good a solution as SPD tourer shoes ime. You do get better grip, on the shoes, sure, but the cleat still pokes out a tiny bit and can scratch the floor. Or catch carpet. The question is, ho often do you unclip? I actually measured 4 unclips on my Seven Hills Rhodes commute one day, 20kms. Quite incredible really, considering it was lots of windy bike path and definitely not the M2 commute.
I have 6 sets of lights before the M2, and 7 sets along Epping Rd before I reach the highway, then it another 16 sets to my office.
I have had some terrible runs on the Pac Hwy, catching every single red light from Lane Cove to Nth Syd!

The clip/unclip doesn't bother me, it is the wear and tear on the cleats as a result.

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:08 pm

As a long-time speedplay user, I am moving to Shimano. Primary advantage in the speedplay is they are very easy to get into. Shimano take a little more practice/skill.

For me the decision was made because all my speedplay pedals are flogged out, the parts are too expensive for a repair to be viable.

Shimano are a lot cheaper long term. It has not been an easy transition though, once you get used to how easy speedplays are to get in and out of it takes a lot to get used to something different.
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:14 pm

Xplora wrote:The question is, ho often do you unclip? I actually measured 4 unclips on my Seven Hills Rhodes commute one day, 20kms.
So, by this argument, expensive and high maintenance Speedplay pedals are not necessary and can't be justified. :wink:
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...