Getting Back Into It MTB Advice

zenfaraj

Getting Back Into It MTB Advice

Postby zenfaraj » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:15 pm

Hey Guys/Gals,

Names Zen just joined the forum and looking for some advice from people in the know.

Haven't ridden a bike in a while as I've been riding dirt bikes but looking at getting a second hand mountain bike to ride around some tracks near home with my wife and also take camping with us.

I don't want to spend to much about $250 TBH, if I find my self riding often then I will upgrade into a new bike.

I'm looking at a GT Avalanche 3.0 and was just wondering if people think these are a good bike?

I had a GT aggressor when I was 18 which was the last bike I bought.

My other option is a Specialized Hardrock for an extra $100, so would love some advice.

silentbutdeadly

Re: Getting Back Into It MTB Advice

Postby silentbutdeadly » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:30 pm

Welcome. If you can latch an Avalanche for that sort of coin then its not a bad way to start. Good basic frame. Worthy of better wheels too.
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

zenfaraj

Postby zenfaraj » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:33 pm

Hi silentbutdeadly, it's a few years old but bloke hasn't ridden it for a while. So do you think this would be a good buy? What wheel upgrade would you recommened

mitzikatzi

Postby mitzikatzi » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:47 pm

If you buy it. Just ride it. Don't upgrade anything. Repair what is needed to keep riding. Then if you like riding buy a better bike.

zenfaraj

Postby zenfaraj » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:53 pm

Good point, just wanted to get some opinions to make sure it's a half decent bike to buy

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:02 pm

zenfaraj wrote:Good point, just wanted to get some opinions to make sure it's a half decent bike to buy
It's decent. They were a $600 plus proposition back at the end of the noughties and are a proven frame. Not spectacular. Not rubbish. Well worth riding and if required then worth throwing extra coin at....but you have to ride it first!!!!!
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

zenfaraj

Postby zenfaraj » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:16 pm

Thanks guys I'll go have a look at the bike Friday after work have a ride and see how I go. What are people's thoughts on the Speacialized hard rock sport