Need new tyres, what to get...?

Widget

Postby Widget » Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:38 am

hey guys,

Currently have 23mm Continental/gatorskin tyres, which are splitting, so im looking to replace. I've heard/read good things about 25mm tyres which I want to try out (supposedly can be a smoother ride which I think I need, currently quite bumpy), but never having purchased tyres before, not too sure what to look for.

I had a look at my bike, it seems there should be enough room on the rear to jump to 25mm (from 23mm), though front seems a little close,

REAR:

FRONT:

Looking at the front wheel, looks to be about 2-2.5mm space between each side of the tyre (between the tyre and the fork), that being said, should there be enough room or will I need more from increases from pressure in tyre?

Regarding which tyre, I didn't want to spend a lot, I don't do much riding, so at this stage its more recreational, though I dont want to get super cheap, prefer something entry level, yet decent without sending me broke, so thought about staying from Continental for now (they seems $$$). I was looking at;

- Vittoria Rubino Pro clincher 700x25 (http://www.this link is broken/au/e ... -prod31765" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) - There's also the 'Slick' version, though not sure if they would be of any use to me?

Other than that, there seems to be a few brands around, though really not sure whats what.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

TheWall

Postby TheWall » Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:24 am

Posting about tyres at 1am! [emoji1]

I would go to a Local Bike Shop or two to 1stly check out whether 25's will fit and 2ndly what they have in stock to suit. Might save you a misguided purchase from OSeas. You could always order the next set online but at least you know!

I have moved to 25's and the ride experience is better and I have not lost speed. But what to do with the spare 23's? Run them on the front and 25 on the back. Which a mate has copied as 25's fit on his back but the front is too tight...

Widget

Re: Need new tyres, what to get...?

Postby Widget » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:04 pm

Halloo, went for a ride today with another guy, he has 25mm on his bike, tried the 25mm (with wheel) on my bike and it fit, so might give it a shot.

regarding the 23mm i have now, they're starting to split. Also, kinda came off today, scuffed side of tire on gutter and now its all frayed.

Any recommendations on brand / style ? slicks vs non-slicks?

Drizt

Postby Drizt » Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:24 pm

4 seasons

Storm Boy

Postby Storm Boy » Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:56 pm

Drizt wrote:4 seasons
+1 for general riding, I love mine.

SB

Widget

Postby Widget » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:43 pm

thanks guys :), I've heard about the 4 seasons, and though i hear good things, at this stage, they're out of my budget :( .. Im looking at <$40 per tyre, at least until I can afford better or do a lot more riding/Tri's etc..

edsa

Postby edsa » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:16 am

recently tried the yaw power by prorace from bikebug http://www.bikebug.com/yaw-by-prorace-p ... 39503.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; about $22 each.
I had been riding gp4k on my commuter and needed a budget replacement. Got the 25's and they are noticeably smoother and imho rolls as well as the gp's.
Been riding them for about 2 months now and past couple of weeks in the wet.
Brand new, the tyre was a bit tacky picking up dirt and flinging onto frame but that was gone after a ride or two.
Can't speak about puncture resistance as I run my commuter with tyre liners.

Widget

Postby Widget » Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:07 am

Hello, reviving my old thread, instead of making a new one on same topic.

I'm due for new tyres, and was hoping to get some feedback.

Currently running Vittoria Rubino Pros clinchers, which are splitting, looking at wiggle, they don't have (atm) the 25mm of the Rubinos, but can get ,

- Vittoria Rubino G+ Graphene Tyre (AT)$25.49ea https://www.this link is broken.au/vittoria-rubi ... hene-tyre/

- Michelin Lithion 2 Folding Road Tyre @24.99ea https://www.this link is broken.au/michelin-lith ... road-tyre/

- Continental Ultra Sport II Folding Road Tyre (Black/Orange) @21.49ea https://www.this link is broken.au/continental-u ... road-tyre/

Has anyone had real world experience with these tyres that could share their opinion on what you think ? I'm looking at these as they're more in my budget. I'm not a frequent rider, nor training for anything at this stage, so cant really afford tyres 2x the price.... as the same time, not wanting to waste $$ on garbage.

Most places seem to have a high star feedback on the above tyres.. but online reviews can be a bit tricky imo.

Thanks in advance,

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:59 pm

I'm a big fan of the Vittoria Graphene Zaffiro whatever it's called..
which is cheapish at BikeBug (Aus) if you wanted to avoid wait time. Have found them durable and acceptable in all other facets such as grip and roll whilst not being outstanding in any of them.

My fallback is Maxxis Re-fuse
which is similarly priced. Have used on 3 different bikes, easy fitting, good grip and roll.

Have used a bunch of others including the cheap Michelin (Dynamic ?) which was just meh, Gators (me no like), Schwalbe Durano/Lugarno (bleah, broke off tyre levers) and various iterations of Continental although they're possibly a bit out of budget..

Both are available from BikeBug
https://www.bikebug.com/tyres-tubes-roa ... 23&sort=2a

and if you're close to one of their stores, can even avoid the shipping charges :
Store Pickup (Prahran, VIC)
Warehouse Pickup (Tullamarine, VIC)
Store Pickup (Brisbane, QLD)
Store Pickup (North Sydney, NSW)
Store Pickup (Walsh Bay, NSW)
Warehouse Pickup (Tempe, NSW)
Store Pickup (Adelaide, SA)
Store Pickup (Perth, WA)
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

Widget

Postby Widget » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:54 am

Thanks 10speedsemiracer :)

How doy ou find the puncture resistance on these tyres? IU'm thinking, with cheaper tyres, the resistance isn't going to be much. I was disappointing with the flats I got with my Vittoria Rubinos, considering the positive reviews.. then again, I could have just been unlucky.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:07 pm

Widget wrote: then again, I could have just been unlucky.
I've been collecting anecdata on that front for a while and I think you've nailed it. Unless you live in fields of bogan glitter infested with caltrop
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:09 pm

The wider your tyres the less pressure you need to run. Less pressure means fewer punctures

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:30 pm

Widget wrote:hey guys,

Currently have 23mm Continental/gatorskin tyres, which are splitting, so im looking to replace. I've heard/read good things about 25mm tyres which I want to try out (supposedly can be a smoother ride which I think I need, currently quite bumpy), but never having purchased tyres before, not too sure what to look for.

25mm is quite reasonable. What I run are these tyres, they are about 1mm bigger again:
https://woolyswheels.com.au/products/s-works-turbo-tire

At 26mm. LBS recommended them and I decided to give them a try. Grip is great, rolling is superb. I run them around 90psi, anything else is too spongy feeling/seems sluggish. They do give a lot more comfort than 23mm tyres for sure.

I also commute on them. But I also use the Specialized inner tubes and put some sealant in those as an added measure.

Ran those tyres all through the Alps in France across road surfaces varying between sublime (Galibier) and truly awful (Sarenne) and they were awesome. They are around same cost as Pirelli P-Zero Velo. I'd say they are markedly better than a GP4000S II, but can't comment on the Pirelli as I've not used those.

Yeah they are a bit more costly. Up to you to decide if you want to give them a go.

I've tried the Vittoria tyres you mentioned, didn't really like them that much.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:46 pm

Widget wrote:Thanks 10speedsemiracer :)

How doy ou find the puncture resistance on these tyres? IU'm thinking, with cheaper tyres, the resistance isn't going to be much. I was disappointing with the flats I got with my Vittoria Rubinos, considering the positive reviews.. then again, I could have just been unlucky.
I haven't flatted on the Vittorias yet and they've been in since April, with Schwalbe tubes and rim tape.

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:21 pm

Alright, time to hijack the thread. Road tyres are not grippy enough on a wooden velodrome particularly at low speeds. (gp4000S2s work well enough for me). The problem is that my 8yo can't maintain sufficient speed for long enough to feel secure on an indoor track.He has raced on two indoor tracks in Melbourne, but has attended two training sessions and slipped/crashed twice. What are the grippiest 24" (540mm) tyres out there that can be put on his bike. He is currently running Schwalbe Ones. I might lower the pressure to 70psi or so for next time.

Cheers,

Cameron

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:52 am

Can't really help you with one, Cameron. Have you looked into Veloflex?

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:27 am

ironhanglider wrote:Alright, time to hijack the thread. Road tyres are not grippy enough on a wooden velodrome particularly at low speeds. (gp4000S2s work well enough for me). The problem is that my 8yo can't maintain sufficient speed for long enough to feel secure on an indoor track.He has raced on two indoor tracks in Melbourne, but has attended two training sessions and slipped/crashed twice. What are the grippiest 24" (540mm) tyres out there that can be put on his bike. He is currently running Schwalbe Ones. I might lower the pressure to 70psi or so for next time.

Cheers,

Cameron
Maybe worth looking at the Vittoria Pista series (?), seem to be fairly well priced and grippy from reviews I've read.
https://www.vittoria.com/us/pista-track.html

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:50 am

Thanks Foo and 10speed.

Sadly all the good tyres are only available in 622 or tubulars. Nothing in 540.

Whilst lowering pressure seems odd on a perfectly smooth velodrome we really need to find a solution that makes him feel secure, at least in a training environment where the speeds are lower. Being high and slow is a dangerous place to be when grip is more of an issue than pedal clearance.

Maybe next time I should start with finding out what the minimum suitable pressure is on the road. He's only 32kg so it doesn't take much to keep the rims off the ground.

Cheers,

Cameron

Rawshack

Postby Rawshack » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:26 am

I just replaced my loathed gatorskins with some Maxiss Refuse based on recommendations here. The improvement was instant and tangible. Much more grip and confidence going into corners.

I'll need to see how long they last and what the puncture resistance is like, but good initial impressions

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:35 am

ironhanglider wrote:Thanks Foo and 10speed.

Sadly all the good tyres are only available in 622 or tubulars. Nothing in 540.

Whilst lowering pressure seems odd on a perfectly smooth velodrome we really need to find a solution that makes him feel secure, at least in a training environment where the speeds are lower. Being high and slow is a dangerous place to be when grip is more of an issue than pedal clearance.

Maybe next time I should start with finding out what the minimum suitable pressure is on the road. He's only 32kg so it doesn't take much to keep the rims off the ground.

Cheers,

Cameron
To follow up I lowered the pressure to 40/50 psi as a test at Blackburn (outdoor concrete) to see if he could feel a difference at all. He said it felt "smoother" but he didn't mentioned anything that suggested that he felt anything untoward. Sadly I was in hospital when he went back to DISC for the State Club Teams Championships and he rode the same pressures there (as well as scrubbing his tyres with metho). After his warm up and Team Sprint I suggested that he could increase the pressures for the Team Pursuit if he liked, but the answer was an emphatic no, so clearly he felt much more secure.

Cheers,

Cameron

Widget

Postby Widget » Fri May 14, 2021 12:28 am

Reviving old thread.

I'm checking out BikeBug for new tyres and came across the Continental Ultra Sport III for $27 per wheel. Have read mixed reviews, was hoping for some fresh opinions on them. Wasn't looking to spend a great deal (need new chain too), starting to get back into riding.

https://www.bikebug.com/continental-ult ... ncher.html

Thoughts ?

AndrewCowley

Postby AndrewCowley » Fri May 14, 2021 9:16 am

If you are ok with spending a bit more, these are good value for money.

https://www.bikebug.com/continental-gra ... 59629.html

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri May 14, 2021 11:06 am

AndrewCowley wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 9:16 am
If you are ok with spending a bit more, these are good value for money.

https://www.bikebug.com/continental-gra ... 59629.html
Can vouch for them as use them myself

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Fri May 14, 2021 12:39 pm

Also worth considering Vittoria Zaffiro if looking for a good yet cost-effective tyre...

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Fri May 14, 2021 2:12 pm

Rubino pro were the best budget tyre I've used.
Don't think they are made anymore though? :(
I have a Conti Ultrasport 3 on the rear of my Zondas. Seems ok but haven't ridden it much.
Gets the best budget gong here;
https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.co ... s#cheapest

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.co ... ke-reviews
Dogs are the best people :wink: