Tokyobike for gf's birthday or alternatives?

phynicle

Postby phynicle » Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:43 am

Hi All,

first virgin post here : )

Girlfriends mentioned for a while now she's looking at commuter bike for getting to and from work (short ride - 2km...for now as we are renting).
She saw this Tokyobike before and loved the vintage styling http://www.tokyobike.com.au/tokyobike-cs/ , so here the genius me putting two and two together for her birthday in two weeks thinks I should get it for her.

Knowing her, she would be more style over substance but at $980 plus any accessories on top, it is quite an expensive first bike and from what I read, the components don't justify the price...maybe the style does?

My question being, is there an alternative out there better value for money but looks just as nice, lets set the budget at $1000 (i'm in Melbourne Southbank btw)

davesday

Re: Tokyobike for gf's birthday or alternatives?

Postby davesday » Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:24 pm

Like you I consider Tokyobikes a little on the expensive side. Perhaps they put a lot of attention to the accessory details (e.g. genuine leather, more options and colours for accessories, etc). There are quite a few brands that makes vintage bikes. Here are some alternatives for your consideration:

1. Reid - $229 - $499 (http://www.reidcycles.com.au/bikes/ladi ... rder=price" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
2. Papilionaire - ~$699 (http://www.papillionaire.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
3. Cell - $339 - $499 (http://www.this link is broken/Bikes/Ladie ... tage-Bikes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

Some comes with basket as standard while others are a top up.

Blakeylonger

Postby Blakeylonger » Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:55 pm

those 650C wheels will be the source of much frustration when you need tubes and tyres.

Two far superior options with local shops that stock them are:

http://www.linusbike.com.au/collections/bikes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://diggari.com.au/allegro/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

yugyug

Postby yugyug » Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:47 pm

My wife has a tokyo bike and loves it. While i agree they are a seem overpriced considering their component spec, when we bought hers we both also test rode Linus and pampillionare equivalents - the tokyo bike was by far the better riding of the three. That was about 3 or 4 years ago for reference.

If I was buying a similar new bike now I would probably do something different - maybe try and find the best mixte frameset I can and then build it up myself with a mix of components to suit the budget, but I didn't have the interest to do that at the time.

It would be worth taking your gf to a couple of shops so she can try out a few different bikes.
Last edited by yugyug on Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

yugyug

Postby yugyug » Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:02 pm

Blakeylonger wrote:those 650C wheels will be the source of much frustration when you need tubes and tyres.
OP would be referring to the Bisou model, which has 26inch wheels. The other tokyo bike models have 650"B" wheels, I think, could be wrong.

phynicle

Postby phynicle » Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:11 pm

yugyug wrote:
Blakeylonger wrote:those 650C wheels will be the source of much frustration when you need tubes and tyres.
OP would be referring to the Bisou model, which has 26inch wheels. The other tokyo bike models have 650"B" wheels, I think, could be wrong.
We actually went into the tokyobike shop today to try the classic, she had the 470mm frame, whilst she liked it, she had trouble with getting used to the higher seat and flat bar as she wasn't able to firmly plant her feet on the ground. Maybe should've tried the Bisou with the low bar given that but it had already started raining.

Could I ask what style did your wife get ?

phynicle

Postby phynicle » Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:15 pm

Two far superior options with local shops that stock them are:

http://www.linusbike.com.au/collections/bikes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://diggari.com.au/allegro/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks for the suggestions I will have a look!

Blakeylonger

Postby Blakeylonger » Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:27 pm

yugyug wrote:
Op linked to the cs, not the bisou. And it most certainly does not have 650b rims. It's 571bsd not 584. This is a hugely dumb idea as 650c is a wheel size that was used on tri bikes and very small road bikes. As such most tyres are 23mm, with the max being 28 if you're willing to ship them from terry bicycles in the USA. Apart from being more expensive and harder to find, 650c x23 looks ridiculous on all but the smallest sizes.

I would suggest trying a 3sp Linus step through or similar. Half the price means money for good lights and locks etc

Espresso_

Postby Espresso_ » Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:55 pm

Blakeylonger wrote:
I would suggest trying a 3sp Linus step through or similar. Half the price means money for good lights and locks etc
+1

650c is a stupid idea.

E

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:44 pm

Here's what I'd do:
Go to a bike shop and ask them for an empty bike box. Take it home, put a card in it for "one bike of your choice, plus helmet and accessories, to the value of $1000", maybe a picture or two of what you're thinking of, and wrap it up.

At this time of year, in Melbourne, be aware that accessories will eat into your budget significantly. Think: good lights, mudguards, perhaps a rack or basket, helmet, gloves, tyre pump, lock, and possibly some clothing - jacket, warm layers, scarf, thin beanie, etc.

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:48 pm

phynicle wrote:...she had trouble with getting used to the higher seat and flat bar as she wasn't able to firmly plant her feet on the ground.
You're not supposed to be able to stand over the bike, on the saddle, with your feet on the ground. If so, the bike is too small or the saddle is too low. If she hasn't ridden for a long time, this will take a bit of learning to get used to, but heed the advice or you'll end up with a frame that is too small. You should be on tiptoes at the most, probably with only one foot.

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:17 pm

I recently helped a female friend with a bike purchase.
She is quite impulsive, and just wanted a better bike than the 13kg Aldi town bike she impulsively bought!
She was going to fork out for a flat bar...but I went on a few rides with her and felt she might be better skipping that and getting a roadie/tourer.

I told her some of the benefits of the roadie:
- you can put your hands in multiple positions so they get less tired on longer rides.
- your hands don't have to be low, you can set the bars at the same or higher level than the saddle.
- drop bars are not as wide so are less likely to bang into objects - other bikes going the opposite way, cars, fences, etc.
- you can still put a rack on it and carry a bag or panniers on it.
- they tend to be lighter and handle better at higher speeds with your weight more evenly distributed between rear and front wheels.

Anyway, she tried 4 or 5 roadies and each time she felt more comfortable and confident that was the right way to go.
She has had the bike for 5 months now and is really glad she didn't get a more upright bike.

Nevertheless, her balance is very good, and she can shoulder check from an aero position without veering off course. Many people cannot.

Anyway, you know her best!

yugyug

Postby yugyug » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:31 am

phynicle wrote:
yugyug wrote:
We actually went into the tokyobike shop today to try the classic, she had the 470mm frame, whilst she liked it, she had trouble with getting used to the higher seat and flat bar as she wasn't able to firmly plant her feet on the ground. Maybe should've tried the Bisou with the low bar given that but it had already started raining.

Could I ask what style did your wife get ?
The Bisou. I assumed that was the style you were interested in because you mentioned the vintage look which often associated with step through frames. If the Bisou is the model your gf becomes interested in, you can ignore the comments about 650 tires, they're not relevant, it uses 26inch.

The Bisou has a more upright riding position which sounds like it may suit, given the "feet on the ground" issue, but best to test ride anyway.

Blakeylonger

Postby Blakeylonger » Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:10 pm

yugyug wrote:The Bisou has a more upright riding position which sounds like it may suit, given the "feet on the ground" issue, but best to test ride anyway.
Upright position is more due to higher/shorter bar positioning rotating your torso back.

Seat tube angle (slacker), BB height (lower) and crank length (longer) plus a too low saddle will provide 'feet on the ground while sitting on the saddle', eg trad dutch bikes and electra 'flat foot design', but as mentioned, it's not a necessary feature for riding a bike and doing any/all of the aforementioned will mostly lead to position issues and pedal strikes. Confidence with getting off the saddle or putting a tiptoe down will come with experience.

As mentioned, have your partner try a bunch of bikes, let her speak to the staff and drive the choice herself, if the rider isn't happy with the bike, it's less likely to be used. Velo Cycles (Carlton) & Commuter Cycles (Brunswick) stock Linus & Allegro for test rides.