BOB trailer parts

BandedRail

BOB trailer parts

Postby BandedRail » Sun May 03, 2015 8:47 pm

I just picked up a second-hand BOB trailer for $60 :D

It needs a new tyre (16" x 1.75") as the one it came with hasn't been inflated for a number of years so is cracked on the sidewall, the flag is missing and one of the cotter pins is a very odd shape. Anyone know of a shop in WA (or even Australia) that I can get the bits I need? I'd also be keen to get some spare tubes as well as a 90 litre dry-sack.

Cheers

Baalzamon

Re: BOB trailer parts

Postby Baalzamon » Sun May 03, 2015 9:32 pm

I've got a purple extreme flag spare. Very hard to get those now!
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun May 03, 2015 10:56 pm

16" x 1.75" is a standard kiddies bike size; tyres and tubes should be readily available from most LBS's, or from Kmart. For the trailer bag, I bought a suitably sized Ortlieb bag - the Ortlieb Rack Pack XL 89L. Works very well.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

BandedRail

Postby BandedRail » Fri May 08, 2015 9:01 pm

Thanks for the replies, most appreciated.

I purchased a tyre and tube today, still no joy with the flag (the sleeve that holds the flag is welded to the frame so size is critical). Not a biggy though as I'll come up with a solution one way or another. Off to Bunnings/Masters this weekend to try to track down the right sized cotter pin...

A fender would be nice too :roll:

I'm still pinching myself for picking up one of these trailers at such a good price, I've been told they sold out to a company that is only interested in baby buggies but not BOB trailers (pure hearsay so correct me if I'm wrong).

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri May 08, 2015 9:44 pm

While at Bunnings look if they have any fishng rod fibreglass pole - that's all it is and you simply need to get the correct length and diameter, perhaps with a joining section of alloy tubing to make a sleeve. The pole on mine is non-original, just a one piece length of fibreglass.

You got a bargain, and can rest back, even if you have a run around to get some bits. I bought my BOB for about $135 about ten years ago now. It needed a bag and the skewer; also a mudguard, but I have never really missed that. I reckon it was either a Euro traveller selling gear before returning to home, or else (sadly) a dubious source (bought from Cash Converters).
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

brokenbus

Postby brokenbus » Sat May 09, 2015 12:14 pm

Search eBay and you will find the pins internationally. Worth getting a few as they are easy to lose. A year or so ago I found a U.S. Website that carried bags flags and all other spares. Also abbotsford cycles has some bits

BandedRail

Postby BandedRail » Sun May 10, 2015 7:54 pm

Update: I found the R clips (aka R pins, hairpin cotter pins, humpback pins - there are a bucket load of synonyms for these things) I needed at an auto spares shop - this is an original style Yak trailer so the newer lanyard-style pins don't work as there is no attachment point on the frame. Bunnings was useless (colour me surprised), they didn't have R clips and insisted that circlips were the same thing :roll: . Anyhoo, the straight side on the R clips was too long so they wouldn't lock in properly but it only took a moment with the trusty Dremel to fix that. I loaded up the trailer today and took it for a spin and the pins stayed snug, no sign of movement :D

I'm halfway to a flag (thanks to all the hi-vis vests I've picked up on my bike rides and some simple needle work) and I don't expect finding a fibreglass pole in the right diameter will be too difficult.

I'm leaning towards one of the large Ortlieb dry sacks to complete the rig. A dry sack should negate the need for a fender and in my experience Ortlieb make excellent gear.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

BandedRail

Postby BandedRail » Sun May 24, 2015 8:07 pm

Further update:

Ok, so finding a fibreglass pole required some lateral thinking. After trying the "obvious" hardware outlets I eventually found a pole of the right diameter at a hobby shop (yep, trains, planes & automobiles) in the "Kites" section. My attempts at making a flag from salvaged hi-viz material resulted in my wife, rather unceremoniously, kicking me off sewing duties (with eye-rolling, no less) but I'm not complaining as I now have a flag :D

I'm contemplating giving the trailer a new paint job but for now I'm very happy with it and I'm already using it on a regular basis.

Thanks again for the input.

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun May 24, 2015 8:10 pm

Fishing rod blank or a CB radio antenna would also do the job.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Sun May 24, 2015 9:08 pm

Or spare tent poles.
ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...

BandedRail

Postby BandedRail » Sun May 24, 2015 11:00 pm

Bunged Knee wrote:Or spare tent poles.
Tried that, all the tent poles I found were way too wide in diameter.