Is $1200 too much for a Tiagra Based Bike ?

SirHawker

Is $1200 too much for a Tiagra Based Bike ?

Postby SirHawker » Tue May 05, 2015 4:14 pm

Hi all,

Looking for a new Road Bike (my first one) after having started commuting to work this year on a Mountain Bike, 16K's each way, and looking to getting into longer rides, nothing competitive, but still want something nice and will last for 5+ years.

So many options out there, it's mind boggling.

I think I've narrowed it down to 2 however, and just want some opinions on whether a 2014 based Tiagra bike (Avanti Cadent ERII 1) is worth $1200. Haven't been able to find reviews or opinions on it.

Reading reviews and opinions and what-not, it seems Shimano 105 should be the base, but not sure if this is for competitive based riders, or just for casuals like myself (everyday commute, 1 50K+ ride a month).

The other option is the Cell Akuna 1.1. Both rides felt really good.

The Avanti is from a Local Bike Shop however, so would like to support it.

Guess I'm just looking for reassurance that the Avanti with Tiagra is still good value.

Thanks

Duck!
Expert

Re: Is $1200 too much for a Tiagra Based Bike ?

Postby Duck! » Tue May 05, 2015 8:52 pm

SirHawker wrote: Reading reviews and opinions and what-not, it seems Shimano 105 should be the base, but not sure if this is for competitive based riders, or just for casuals like myself ....
No, it's just snobbery. Tiagra is a perfectly adequate component set, it's just a bit heavier than its superiors. $1200 is around the norm for that spec level.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

reefer

Postby reefer » Tue May 05, 2015 9:04 pm

SirHawker wrote:The Avanti is from a Local Bike Shop however, so would like to support it.
Don't rely on it, Avanti has been sold by 3 different stores here in the last 5 years. Not saying you can't rely on your LBS, just be aware shops drop brands nearly as fast as marine stores swap motor alliances.

I own a Cadent 1.0 2009 model. Great bike running 105, but tiagra would do just fine. I run less than tiagra on my daily commuter.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Tue May 05, 2015 9:18 pm

I have bikes with both Tiagra and 105 and there is not much difference between them. The 105 shifters do feel quite a bit nicer when shifting but that's about it.

I can't see a reason not to get the Cell though, they do some great bikes.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

Bentnose

Postby Bentnose » Tue May 05, 2015 10:15 pm

ldrcycles wrote:I have bikes with both Tiagra and 105 and there is not much difference between them. The 105 shifters do feel quite a bit nicer when shifting but that's about it.

I can't see a reason not to get the Cell though, they do some great bikes.
Is it the Tiagra shifters or the Tiagra derialleur and shifter combination that make it bad? I know with my wifes bike with Deore shifters and derailleur the shifting was much worse than Deore shifter and XT derailleur combination, just wondering because I'm about to buy some new brifters and am tossing up between Tiagra and 105.
No signature

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Tue May 05, 2015 11:02 pm

Duck! wrote:
SirHawker wrote: Reading reviews and opinions and what-not, it seems Shimano 105 should be the base, but not sure if this is for competitive based riders, or just for casuals like myself ....
No, it's just snobbery. Tiagra is a perfectly adequate component set, it's just a bit heavier than its superiors.
+1.
It can also be the previous model 105 in design, just with different colors and maybe slightly different materials. I'm still using a Tiagra rear derailleur from about 6 years ago which I changed the pulley wheels to bearing type. My wet bike has some cheap Shimano spec on it. Really, there are much more important aspects to a bike than how smooth and light the shifting is, of which cable quality and routing is a big influence anyway. The fit of the bike (to you) being the most important.

First concentrate on getting a bike that fits you well. Then find a saddle that suits you well, which are both often easier said than done. Then worry about the rest of the other stuff.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Wed May 06, 2015 8:40 am

Bentnose wrote:Is it the Tiagra shifters or the Tiagra derialleur and shifter combination that make it bad? I know with my wifes bike with Deore shifters and derailleur the shifting was much worse than Deore shifter and XT derailleur combination, just wondering because I'm about to buy some new brifters and am tossing up between Tiagra and 105.
The current (imminently superceded) Tiagra shifters are remodelled 7800 Dura-Ace (first-generation 10-sp.), which even now are still excellent shifters, better than either series of 105 10-sp. shifters. The new model due out later this year, while still 10-sp. is derived from the current 11-sp shifters, which are all very good, so aside from having one less gear I suspect you'll be hard pressed to pick the difference.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Wed May 06, 2015 11:32 pm

In agreement with previous feedback, it is far better to have and look after a lower range groupset than to get a higher range groupset and not look after it.

I kept a city hack bike with the lowest of the low groupset, but kept it in pristine condition. It looked basic and kept thieves away, but with simple and regular care it rode and shifted like a dream.

On the bike decision, I would suggest opting for the bike and spec which you feel suits best and while it may be an unpopular suggestion, don't buy from Avanti just because you want to support them, rather because you think they will look after you and it will be convenient for you (e.g. servicing).

Avanti is pretty reliable as a brand, I recently looked at some of their higher priced road bikes and found it hard to connect the value-added with the price tag, but in the entry to mid-range price segments you can generally expect good value.
Cycling is in my BNA

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Wed May 06, 2015 11:41 pm

Nothing wrong with Tiagra, especially on a commuter bike. Components are cheap to replace and work perfectly fine. I had Tiagra on my Flatbar ad loved it. My current commuter runs SRAM Apex, which is pretty much on par with Tiagra. Done 35,000km on it and it just keeps going.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Thu May 07, 2015 6:37 am

Bentnose wrote: Is it the Tiagra shifters or the Tiagra derialleur and shifter combination that make it bad? I know with my wifes bike with Deore shifters and derailleur the shifting was much worse than Deore shifter and XT derailleur combination, just wondering because I'm about to buy some new brifters and am tossing up between Tiagra and 105.
The shifters themselves, i have used both the Tiagra and 105 shifters with 105, Tiagra and XTR derailleurs and the 105 shifters always feel better. Not to say the Tiagra shifters feel bad, just that the 105s are a bit lighter and more positive. I should specify i'm talking 9 speed, i've not yet owned any 10 speed stuff.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Thu May 07, 2015 10:48 am

but... but... externalcablesOMG!!!111

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Thu May 07, 2015 11:13 am

Yeah, external cables are the only things don't like about my Dura-Ace 7801 Shifters. They are the sweetest shifters I have ever used. The Ultegra 11sp I have now is very nice, but not as smooth as the 7801 that is on what is now my "spare wet weather bike"
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Thu May 07, 2015 1:51 pm

MattyK wrote:but... but... externalcablesOMG!!!111
Yeah, such a nice smooth shift action from the direct entry.... :wink:

TonyMax

Postby TonyMax » Thu May 07, 2015 2:32 pm

Here I was all set to refer you to the Reid Falco Sport road bike (full Tiagra groupset except brakes) for ~$600 but it seems they don't make them any more, the next model up is this one for $899:

http://www.reidcycles.com.au/falco-adva ... -bike.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have the Falco Sport (same spec as the link above but with Tiagra components) and I've put nearly 6000km on it, with a recent wheel upgrade the only thing I wanted to do.

Nothing wrong with Tiagra if that's what you've got available for your budget.

carcharias

Postby carcharias » Wed May 20, 2015 5:52 pm

http://www.this link is broken/Cell-Lapa-2-0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You can get this for a lot less than $1200 and it has a mix of Tiagra and 105 components as well. Has rack mounts too which may come in handy.

I have a 2013 Avanti Circa CX bike that has Tiagra brake levers/crank-set (Triple ring)/ front and rear derailluers, done about 2000km, have been really happy with Tiagra parts (the indicators on the STI brake levers are a gimmick though) My bike was $1000 mid way 2014.
Cells seem like really good value to me.
Sometimes I wished that I had paid a bit more for a bike with discs though....

carcharias

Postby carcharias » Wed May 20, 2015 7:45 pm

I forgot to suggest, it may be an idea to look for a bike that can fit wider tyres than 25's. Not sure what the Avanti Cadent ERII 1/Cell Akuna 1.1 will fit...28's are nice for commuting.

porkupine

Postby porkupine » Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:12 pm

$1200 - you could also get a cannondale for that price with tiagra on it, which if you're an intermediate to expert buyer, would know costs already too much.... are you in a hurry? i've seen 105's hovering around that mark and they are 2015 models too! depending on size and of course luck.

with regards to cadent er2, you might as well go a year older 2013 and save yourself that extra $300... at the end of the day i guess it depends on what matters to you. i've been lucky to spot an amazing deal for 2nd hand bikes so.... but then again if you want the full "factory limited life time warranty" etc that all matters to you....

also re wheels being bigger / 28" - this will depend on the spacing between stays and fork to accommodate as those are usually hybrid bike frames. but from understanding if that all fits fine, then you just need worry about DROP/REACH for brakes to accommodate your thicker wheelset

all bikes ride the same (AT) the end of the day, it's you that pushes it, whether it's full carbon, alu, alu mix, chromo, steel... it's a push bike..
then there's brand,
asthetics
& groupset

grouppos make a difference individually but 10 speed tiagra onwards is already a decent race/road bike to start with.
watch out though, cell, reid, avanti have one thing in common- they are all either manufactured in china or taiwan.. but they WILL skimp on wheelsets as much as possible, a giro 1 and giro 2 and giro 3 have minimal difference in frame and fork, but other bits & bobs make up the $$$

buying a bike outright will POTENTIALLY be cheaper as shimano/sram will sell groupsets in wholesale to these bike brands so might be worth assessing WHAT you want to do - start simple, upgrade later if a steal comes by, or buy now, forget it forever until you sell your bike and upgrade down the track completely...

carcharias

Postby carcharias » Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:12 pm

porkupine wrote:also re wheels being bigger / 28" - this will depend on the spacing between stays and fork to accommodate as those are usually hybrid bike frames. but from understanding if that all fits fine, then you just need worry about DROP/REACH for brakes to accommodate your thicker wheelset
I was referring to the TYRE width (28C) or 28mm.
porkupine wrote:grouppos make a difference individually but 10 speed tiagra onwards is already a decent race/road bike to start with.
watch out though, cell, reid, avanti have one thing in common- they are all either manufactured in china or taiwan.. but they WILL skimp on wheelsets as much as possible, a giro 1 and giro 2 and giro 3 have minimal difference in frame and fork, but other bits & bobs make up the $$$
Porcupine,
Can you tell me why bikes made in China or Taiwan are not as good as those made elsewhere? I think it does not make any difference which country a bike is assembled in.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:27 pm

Many high-end bikes (including a lot from "prestige" European & American brands) are produced in Taiwan - mostly in the Giant & Merida factories. Chinese production is.... well..... variable. It's certainly not to the standard of Taiwanes manufacturing, but can range from quite decent to really quite appalling.

struggler

Postby struggler » Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:29 pm

AUbicycles wrote:In agreement with previous feedback, it is far better to have and look after a lower range groupset than to get a higher range groupset and not look after it.
As relative newbie, what's critical re "looking after it"?
Cheers....

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:20 pm

Ride smoothly, ease off power when shifting, try not to cross chain too much, keep it reasonably clean and lubed. Don't crash.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011