What are these?

fat and old

What are these?

Postby fat and old » Fri May 08, 2015 6:22 am

Recently bought a new bike. It has Fulcrum racing 3.5's. I'm trying to compare them to Kysrium Elite s, but cannot find anything anywhere on them, not on the Fulcrum site, not for sale, nothing. They do roll nice, but it's a new bike, and my Kysrium's are 10k old.

What are they, and how do they compare to the Mavics? Gotta decide on which wheels to keep

open roader

Re: What are these?

Postby open roader » Fri May 08, 2015 8:38 am

Are they Fulcrum Racing Speed 35? If so try this link :- http://www.fulcrumwheels.com/en/collect ... g-Speed-35

Even better if you don't know what they are or who thinks what about them so you can do a blind evaluation for yourself.
3rd class cycling is always better than 1st class walking

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Fri May 08, 2015 9:47 am

open roader wrote:Are they Fulcrum Racing Speed 35? If so try this link :- http://www.fulcrumwheels.com/en/collect ... g-Speed-35

Even better if you don't know what they are or who thinks what about them so you can do a blind evaluation for yourself.
No, they're Racing 3.5s as in a 3 rim and 5 hub, so a OEM wheelset to cut costs, knowing most will upgrade the wheelset.

This brings me to my only complaint about the R5: the wheel spec. The Fulcrum Racing 3.5 is a fine wheelset, but it is certainly not up to the standard of the rest of the bike. I swapped them out for a pair of Shimano C35 Dura Ace wheels and the difference was immediately noticeable. With the Fulcrums the R5 is a great bike, with a more appropriate pair of wheels it is exceptional.

I asked Cervélo why the downgrade in wheels and they said it was because they expected that owners would likely want to choose their own wheels anyway, suggesting that the Fulcrums are just a placeholder to meet a price point. This makes no sense to me, and is sort of like putting $100 tires on a Porsche: it cheapens what is meant to be an uplifting experience.

http://www.canadiancyclist.com/reviews. ... cervelo-r5

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri May 08, 2015 1:18 pm

Bike manufactuers have been doing that for years. It's a standard excuse for what is a just cost cutting exercise.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Tue May 12, 2015 10:38 am

Given that most bikes over $900 are supplied without pedals...perhaps that's the next step. Here's your new bike...without pedals AND wheels.
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle