Road Shoes - Narrow Last

flashpixx

Road Shoes - Narrow Last

Postby flashpixx » Mon May 11, 2015 3:05 pm

12 month old Bontrager RL shoes broke the buckle strap yesterday.

Looking to replace with something that will last a bit longer but I do need a narrow fitting. I know there was a post here but dashed if I can find it.

Recommendations on brands please? Budget $300 +/-
Gordon

Riding: Trek Domane SLR 7

Duck!
Expert

Re: Road Shoes - Narrow Last

Postby Duck! » Mon May 11, 2015 7:23 pm

Louis Garneau are good, and on the narrower end of the range.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon May 11, 2015 8:11 pm

+1
I just got some louis garneau ls100 carbon from pushys. In a sz45 they are very similar to sidis.
Pretty happy with them so far. The boa closure system is great.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

mogwaiboi

Postby mogwaiboi » Mon May 11, 2015 9:00 pm

I had the Giro Factor ACC for a few months, and the only reason I got rid of them was because they were too narrow. Besides that they were awesome.
Avoiding pissed of bogans in SUV's...

macca33

Postby macca33 » Tue May 12, 2015 9:19 pm

Don't dismiss Shimano R171 too eagerly either. I had Giro Factor acc which were too narrow also. I bought R171s and have had them >5 months now. They perform as well as the $300 shoes..
CAAD10 Berzerker & Focus Mares & Ridley Noah SL

flashpixx

Postby flashpixx » Wed May 13, 2015 3:13 pm

Thanks all. Will definitely look into the Shimanos :D
Gordon

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Thu May 14, 2015 3:33 pm

Sidi Wires for me. I've got the speedplay sole version and love them.... Insoles aren't anything special but you can always buy or transfer some heat mould soles for them, everything else about them are great though...
2013 BMC TM SLR01;2013/14 Bianchi Inf CV
2013 Lynskey Helix;2013 XACD Ti Di2
2013 Giant TCR Adv SL1;2014 Giant Defy Adv SL

open roader

Postby open roader » Thu May 14, 2015 4:46 pm

rodneycc wrote:Sidi Wires for me. I've got the speedplay sole version and love them.... Insoles aren't anything special but you can always buy or transfer some heat mould soles for them, everything else about them are great though...
+1 My wires were transformed considerably by simply replacing the inadequate supplied insole with an aftermarket insole. (why Sidi do that in a top flite road shoe is beyond me?)

I also have a pair of Sidi 5 Fit - both lasts on these are on the narrow side of the ledger.
3rd class cycling is always better than 1st class walking

Downhill2Fast

Postby Downhill2Fast » Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:25 am

warthog1 wrote:+1
I just got some louis garneau ls100 carbon from pushys. In a sz45 they are very similar to sidis.
Pretty happy with them so far. The boa closure system is great.
+2. I got the Carbon LS100's from Pushy's. They are definitely a narrow fit (to start with but I did the water bags in the toes, in the freezer a couple of times trick and it opened them up a bit). I also put some Superfeet insoles in - the carbon ones are the thinnest - which took about 2mm off the old insole height, adding more room and giving better support.

After about 500ks they feel fantastic. Light, very stiff (but not quite as extreme as the Bontragers, which to me felt like planks) and the Boa system is nice, the toe straps seem a little redundant though. Overall they seem a fraction smaller than my old Gaernes and Shimano MTB shoes in the same size (44), but being older, those have probably stretched.
Last edited by Downhill2Fast on Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

JdM

Postby JdM » Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:36 am

rodneycc wrote:Sidi Wires for me. I've got the speedplay sole version and love them.... Insoles aren't anything special but you can always buy or transfer some heat mould soles for them, everything else about them are great though...
Me too - I have narrow feet and the Sidi Wires were the best fit for me. I have the 3 bolt sole. They are over your $300 budget though.
2014 Giant TCR Advanced 1

flashpixx

Postby flashpixx » Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:19 pm

Been going to reply to this for a while.

Took the shoes back to where I got them from. They have sent them to Trek as they are only 12 months old and agreed they shouldnt fail. Waiting for a reply

Bought some Bontrager Road RL shoes (next level up from what I had). They are brilliant and with a decent discount came in well under the budget. :D
Gordon

Jesmol

Postby Jesmol » Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:33 pm

flashpixx wrote:Been going to reply to this for a while.

Took the shoes back to where I got them from. They have sent them to Trek as they are only 12 months old and agreed they shouldnt fail. Waiting for a reply

Bought some Bontrager Road RL shoes (next level up from what I had). They are brilliant and with a decent discount came in well under the budget. :D
What size are you after, I have some Gaerne Chrono G that are just a little too narrow for me, in a 43