New commuter bike

Justinjd79

New commuter bike

Postby Justinjd79 » Wed May 13, 2015 9:16 am

Hi all,

I'm looking to switch up my CX bike to either a road drop bar or flat bar road. I have had road bikes before and like the idea of a FBR in traffic.

I don't really do long weekend rides at all anymore, just the work commute from North side to Sydney CBD (about 20km round trip) and that is enough weekly riding for me.

I find my CX quite sluggish for some reason, and I want to have a bit more comfy ride with my Henty pack, yet feel quick. Also I just feel like a bike change.

Things can get a bit hairy riding up and down Miller St in Nth Sydney in traffic, so I'm sold on the idea of quick and easy access to brakes on the FBR, as well as disc brakes.

I've got my eye on the Giant Fastroad.

Right now I have a Cannondale Superx Hi-Mod Ultegra Di2 CX.

Any advice or suggestions?

Cheers,

Thoglette

Re: New commuter bike

Postby Thoglette » Wed May 13, 2015 9:27 am

Justinjd79 wrote:I find my CX quite sluggish for some reason, ,
Well, you need to find the answer to this first. Road bikes are going to be less comfortable, flat bars more sluggish (poorer tyres and heavier)
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

Justinjd79

Postby Justinjd79 » Wed May 13, 2015 10:04 am

I'm inclined to think it is the CX gearing, as well as the CX tyres. Considering trying road slicks on it, but not sure if it's worth it.

macca33

Postby macca33 » Wed May 13, 2015 10:32 am

You find a Cannondale SuperX slow? Come on, really?

My Focus Mares is 90% as quick as my road bikes on tarmac - even using 35mm Conti CX Speed tyres .

Either put road tyres on it or just pedal faster - I'm sure it isn't the bike that is 'sluggish'
CAAD10 Berzerker & Focus Mares & Ridley Noah SL

Justinjd79

Postby Justinjd79 » Wed May 13, 2015 10:44 am

Don't get me wrong, I love the SuperX. Feeling sluggish is not a huge issue, I just feel like a bike change and am wondering if the FBR's are a good option as I haven't looked into them until now.

piston9

Postby piston9 » Wed May 13, 2015 12:34 pm

I ride a FBR almost every day - 35k's or so each way. I moved from a roadie so I could have panniers to carry rubbish like heavy laptops.

Cons - straight up, it's a little slower due to higher position in the wind. I lost about 1.5k's an hour across my ride average the day I switched. I've slammed by bars as far as they go, but It's harder to get 'down' and aero on decents and faster flats. Tyres - I still have the ones that came with the bike, unridden. Put my own on. Weight - this baby with racks weighs 14KG, I just tell myself that it's better for my fitness everytime I hit a hill. And i've almost lost 14KG, so.....

Pros - rack. So nice with a set of waterproof bags, best investment ever (almost). Control - the flat bar (for me) gives way more confidence than the roadie bars, in traffic and bike paths. I didn't feel bad before, but these are just awesome once I changed the grips.

Wishlist - I should have got a bike with discs. I have a Merida Speeder T5. Great bike - just wish for discs :D

So from one persons perspective - for a commuter, the flat bar has been great. I only own one bike, and wish for a carbon roadie on weekends, but this suits my majority ride...
Another one of those high-vis commuter types. Ultegra equipped flat bar is my weapon of choice - with panniers :D

lobstermash

Postby lobstermash » Wed May 13, 2015 12:55 pm

If you're worried about the ride feeling sluggish, you're going in the wrong direction with a FBR. The riding position is more upright, which will cost you in extra drag vs a drop bar. But, if you're after a different feel, and you'd like to be sitting up a bit higher in traffic, you're talking probably a couple of extra minutes on a 10km commute - less if it's a stop-start affair.

Espresso_

New commuter bike

Postby Espresso_ » Wed May 13, 2015 1:26 pm

I once had a flat bar road bike - a Scott Speedster - and it was horrible.

As others have said, the flat bar position makes it less speedy than a proper road bike. It had all the downsides of a proper road bike though, like too narrow tyres for commuting, a general lack of suitability for other uses (eg rail trail weekend trips or mounting racks etc), lack of hand positions for longer rides and no disc brakes (unlike the Giant you're considering).

I agree with others that a CX bike like the one you have shouldn't be sluggish and I'd look first at tyres rather than gearing. If you want something fast and comfortable (yes, the two go together), forget the usual roadie brands and try the widest Grand Bois or Compass tyres that will fit. Your bike will be transformed.

If you just want a new bike, that's cool too. We've all been there (and will go there again). Maybe a hybrid or even a 29er hardtail is the way to go? Both will give you versatility over a flat bar road bike - but saying that many people buy a cx for that same versatility

E

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Wed May 13, 2015 1:38 pm

Justinjd79 wrote:I'm inclined to think it is the CX gearing, as well as the CX tyres. Considering trying road slicks on it, but not sure if it's worth it.
Way worth it- my TCX with road tyres is just as quick as my dedicated roadies, even with the CX gearing- not many times you need to spin out a 46/11 (50-60km/h). I find the TCX more stable at speed also due to the longer wheelbase and slacker head angle.

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Wed May 13, 2015 5:44 pm

My cx bike with road tyres is just as quick as my roadie, maybe quicker.
I rarely run out of gears with 46 front and 11 rear and keep up with some fast group rides on occasion.
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Wed May 13, 2015 6:53 pm

A sportif/graveller would make sense. More relaxed than a pure cx, discs and they usually come with rack mounts.

Most cx will fit this criteria though as some of them have 'evolved' to have rack mounts, compact (50/34) gearing and more relaxed geometry while maintaining its bulletproof status.
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
Bike crushed by car (RIP)
No brakes bike
Ebike

Zippy7

Postby Zippy7 » Wed May 13, 2015 10:22 pm

I commute from the lower north shore to Sydney CBD, and I agree that Miller St is pretty scary at times.
I've had a hybrid (Merida Crossway 100) and then a Merida Speeder T3, and now on a Focus Lost Lagoon CS2.0
I miss my T3 massively - very comfortable, could go heaps faster than my Focus, lightest of the 3 bikes I've had too.
But I prefer the disc brakes.

If I was upgrading again, I'd look at the Merida 500 (or 5000) - I can't justify an upgrade just yet, maybe later this year...

Just ignore the others, you'll always feel better on a new bike :)
Successful trades : Rheicel, Je, wgc138, 2ndeffort, celeste boy, rodneycc

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Wed May 13, 2015 10:39 pm

I ride a flatbar to work every day. For me I like the geometry better, FBRs seem to have a longer distance between the saddle and handlebars, maybe that's just a perception but the set up seems to suit me. I can and do bend down and rest my hands and even forearms on the handlebars when the whim takes me and the wind threatens to send me backwards, and this riding position is less upright than I see a lot of road bike riders have on their bikes. My seat is very slightly above the handlebar height.

For commuting flatbars are very good. They have the flexibility of a rack too. Somehow I don't think putting a rack and rear basket on a carbon roadie would be a look many would be impressed with.

I would say try a couple out as you really need to ride the bike to see how it feels to you. If you like it why not?

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

BetterIwas

Postby BetterIwas » Thu May 14, 2015 12:24 am

Funny world

I ride a Merida flatbar disc northshore to CBD about 19k round trip.

Looking to travel a bit fasterand get a bit lower for the wind - bridge was cold tonight.

I am looking to buy a relaxed roadie - perhaps Cannondale Synapse Disc, maybe Merida Ride Disc. Am slowly checeking them out.

baabaa

Postby baabaa » Thu May 14, 2015 10:20 am

Maybe look at other options to Miller St than a new bike? Ok it can be bastard of a ride in peak hours but you can go north and south on streets like Walker without cars up your clacker.
A rack and panniers may help. What bike have you got now as you can find bits that will allow a rack with a frame without rack mounts. Maybe look at turning your cx into a flat bar.

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Thu May 14, 2015 3:40 pm

Think Gorilla Monsoon was going down the Giant Fastroad Comax path as well. Maybe go pick his brains about it. Think he has done a lot of research on the topic of this bike.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=83584&p=1244283&hi ... x#p1244283" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2013 BMC TM SLR01;2013/14 Bianchi Inf CV
2013 Lynskey Helix;2013 XACD Ti Di2
2013 Giant TCR Adv SL1;2014 Giant Defy Adv SL

jdh500

Postby jdh500 » Fri May 15, 2015 6:33 pm

The Merida Ride 7000 Disc is currently on special for $2499 if your in the market to spend that type of money. I currently using a Merida Speeder 500.

JDH
BetterIwas wrote:Funny world

I ride a Merida flatbar disc northshore to CBD about 19k round trip.

Looking to travel a bit fasterand get a bit lower for the wind - bridge was cold tonight.

I am looking to buy a relaxed roadie - perhaps Cannondale Synapse Disc, maybe Merida Ride Disc. Am slowly checeking them out.

BetterIwas

Postby BetterIwas » Mon May 18, 2015 3:02 pm

Thanks - i saw that at 99bikes - big discount.

Trying to find time to get there

Chris249

Postby Chris249 » Mon May 18, 2015 8:24 pm

As others have noted, if the CX bike feels sluggish it would be the rubber. With narrower slicks on they are close to a full-on roadie in speed. It's only been about three years since a CX bike podiumed in Paris-Roubaix IIRC.

Maybe a less race-oriented CX bike would be the way to go? That way you get panniers, possibly mudguard mounts, and crosstop levers which personally I find fantastic for a commuting bike. Run it with 28 mm slicks and you've got something that is enormously practical but faster than a carbon CX bike with dirt tyres - even file treads seem significantly slower than 28 slicks.

Having been through a few flat bars, commuted through Miller St for some time and worked the North Sydney run as a courier for a few months, I'd reckon a CX bike with panniers, 28mm tyres and crosstop brake levers would be great for that commute. With the crosstops you have more ability to change hand positions (while staying safe in traffic) than any other style of bike; you can be on the hoods, in the drops, or on the base in a FBR-style position but still have instant access to the brakes. You can sit up and cruise or look around, or drop low and hammer through bad sections while keeping up better with the traffic, and the CX bike's handling gives you a lot of confidence in traffic.
Kestrel Talon road 2007
Como Vivente road 2009
Principia track track 2014
Cervelo P2K TT 2003
Merida CX4 2010
Concaeio road

caneye

Postby caneye » Tue May 19, 2015 9:48 am

totally agree.
1) i swopped to 28mm Continental GP 4Seasons on my CX bike recently.
it's given it a new lease of life. so much more fun to ride, especially on road.

2) i also had the crosstop brake levers installed and it's proven very useful when riding through busy traffic and gives you just a little bit more confidence when changing hand positions.

like the OP, i had also been contemplating a 2nd FBR (especially a much lighter one). my current FBR has mudguards and panniers, easily weighs 12kg, and is pretty much my wet-day bike. but with the recent change of tyres on the CX, i think i'll be saving my $$ for a while. until the next N+1 urge comes along ..