Being REFUSED warranty on a defective Lynskey frame

defy1

Re: Being REFUSED warranty on a defective Lynskey frame

Postby defy1 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:13 pm

battler2 wrote:
defy1 wrote: edit : get a refund
dont know what you said before the edit, but its fine. the problem with a refund is, i've pissed away $110 on postage and i still don't have a frame. i've got a groupset, fork, headset and other parts bought for this frame. and no frame.
get a refund and buy a frame from somewhere else...the relationship between you and this seller is dead. Time to move on.

battler2

Postby battler2 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:25 pm

took delivery of a new frame today. doesn't inspire confidence does it :P

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:23 pm

Get your string out!

Drizt

Postby Drizt » Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:26 pm

Tape measure...

battler2

Postby battler2 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:31 pm

biker jk wrote:Get your string out!
Drizt wrote:Tape measure...
WAY ahead of the BOTH of you. LOL

checks out ;)

Drizt

Postby Drizt » Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:33 pm

Measure between the drop outs

battler2

Postby battler2 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:43 pm

i did one better and checked if the wheel fits in nicely. it needed them spread again a little for the axle to fit in (no deliberate sexual connotation there ;). i never really believed that would cause any issues though. i measured it just for you now with my trusty ikea tape measure and 129mm.

visually it looked like it sits in the centre nicely as well. think i will have no issues with this frame :)

silentC

Postby silentC » Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:25 pm

halle-fricken-lujah! :)
"If your next bike does not have disc brakes, the bike after that certainly will"
- Me

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:28 pm

silentC wrote:halle-fricken-lujah! :)
The frame hasn't been built up and ridden yet so relief may prove premature. :lol:

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:34 am

You might have developed the "Lynskey leg syndrome" where you get off to constantly measure the rear wheel and it makes the left leg so strong for remounting that when you go left around corners you overpower and fall off..... :)
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

defy1

Postby defy1 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:55 pm

battler2 wrote:
visually it looked like it sits in the centre nicely as well. think i will have no issues with this frame :)
it didn't sit nicely centre in the old one? hopefully you don't wait 6 months before building it up

battler2

Postby battler2 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:01 pm

from memory it did, but others have had this issue. and hopefully no, as i have all the parts (just waiting on a new front derailleur 34.9) ready.

carcharias

Postby carcharias » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:29 pm

Tim wrote:The frame is either properly aligned or it isn't.
There is no grey area, not a matter of opinion, but an issue of precise measurement. Differences in opinion are due to imprecise measurement techniques.
I'd be taking the frame to a recognised and independent frame builder, clamping the frame to a building/alignment jig and having it properly assessed with proper tools.
I agree with this. But also your own pictures / measurements show a significantly damaged rear triangle. = super-crab Lynskey.
Would it be better to use metal straight edge? Also mount the rear wheel minus tyre + measure distance from rim to the seat-stays. Check vertical alignment of rear wheel with the seat tube...Fit front wheel also minus tyre and check this against rear wheel held in straight ahead position. Bound to spot any geometric shenanigans.
Anyway that's my 5 cents....or 10...
battler2 wrote:Sorry here are my measurements.

image hosting site over 5mb

post img

battler2

Postby battler2 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:39 pm

carcharias wrote: I agree with this. But also your own pictures / measurements show a significantly damaged rear triangle. = super-crab Lynskey.
Would it be better to use metal straight edge? Also mount the rear wheel minus tyre + measure distance from rim to the seat-stays. Check vertical alignment of rear wheel with the seat tube...Fit front wheel also minus tyre and check this against rear wheel held in straight ahead position. Bound to spot any geometric shenanigans.
Anyway that's my 5 cents....or 10...
there was no damage to the rear triangle. i used the paper ruler at the time as it was stiff and didn't flex, but couldn't in the last measurements of the new frame i posted (using the same method) because it was left outside over the winter and became floppy. the wheel can sit in seat-stays a bit out of whack but still present little to no problems, another member on here has that problem but doesn't cause any instability for him. the last thing you suggest would only work with an accurate method of measurement ensuring fork is pointing right ahead and wheel is steady. too hard. park tool have a gauge for all this FAG-2 which was never used.

this has been resolved with a replacement frame, that so far has not caused me any instability issues at all. some more testing (ie. that roundabout i nearly crashed on) but a couple of downhills well over the 35km/h threshold and i haven't had that sliding side to side/slippery feeling like i'm riding on ice.

to keep it short, i still believe the frame was significantly misaligned but it was never measured properly, nor do i have evidence of it being measured properly. frame flex due to thinner gauge tubing may have also contributed, but i ruled this out as the very minor frame flex i received when climbing hard out of the saddle i believed was simpy a trait of Ti, and that i have never heard of anyone having this problem with this frame and the silver series of frames. it doesn't matter anymore as the frame was not fit for purpose and i have received a replacement.

i will specifically send a thanks to chad@lynskey soon for sorting this out for me.