**Need Help Please** Snapped Rear Derailleur

eposhea

Postby eposhea » Wed May 20, 2015 10:18 am

Hi Folks,

Bike Model: Boardman Road Comp 2011 model - Sram Apex Group set

I am looking for some info. I am relatively new to cycling - 3 years to be precise. I came off my bike last week (no damage to me thankfully!), and I did not survey the bike before continuing - low and behold when I began to pedal again, the entire rear derailleur snapped off and the chain wrapped around the rear cassette.

I looked at the damage and the derailleur is definitely beyond repair and the hangar is also bent quite severely.

My question is about what to do with a new set - should you replace the entire group set or just the rear derailleur, or would it be better to upgrade to a better group set entirely? Also - would it be recommended to buy online and get someone to do the work or go through a bike shop?

Thank you in advance,

Eoin

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: **Need Help Please** Snapped Rear Derailleur

Postby AUbicycles » Wed May 20, 2015 10:38 am

You can get a new derailleur hanger and it depends if the rear derailleur is actually damaged, to whether you need a new one.

Wiggle do boardman bikes, I assume you purchased from them so see if they have spares, or get in touch with their service to organise it. Much easier than trying to source the correct hanger elsewhere as they come in all shapes and sizes.

If you are crash hot with the mechanics, you can do it yourself, and work out why you got the chain suck. Otherwise, get it to a bike shops, they can make sure that everything is tip top.

There is a retail bike shop chain in Australia who also do Boardman however I couldn't recommend them.
Cycling is in my BNA

Rex

Postby Rex » Wed May 20, 2015 4:01 pm

If Wiggle don't offer replacement hangers, and Boardman want to charge an arm and a leg, try http://www.wheelsmfg.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; as they make hangers for everything.
Pushys are a distributor I believe.

eposhea

Postby eposhea » Wed May 20, 2015 4:31 pm

Great, thank you! Yes, bought from Wiggle originally, they don't deliver to Oz anymore, which is a shame! I found online that it is Hanger 49, and can source one from ebay. Derailleur online and get a shop to fit is the best option I think!

Should probably have someone look at the bike tho - there may be additional damage that I cant see!

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Wed May 20, 2015 5:04 pm

You probably will need a new chain and maybe a cassette, if the cassette has been on there for a couple of 1000 kms then replace it.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Wed May 20, 2015 8:07 pm

Exactly, you want to know what caused the chain to suck / stick and make sure this is fixed, plus inspect to ensure the frame is sound.
Cycling is in my BNA

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Wed May 20, 2015 9:38 pm

AUbicycles wrote:Exactly, you want to know what caused the chain to suck / stick and make sure this is fixed...
I think this from the OP explains the cause pretty clearly....
eposhea wrote: I came off my bike last week (no damage to me thankfully!), and I did not survey the bike before continuing
:wink:
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Thu May 21, 2015 12:41 am

Right... I was wondering whether it was a chain-suck (stuck chain) which caused the derailleur to snap.
Cycling is in my BNA

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu May 21, 2015 10:38 am

boardman and now supplied through amart sports so try them for spare parts

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu May 21, 2015 11:00 am

Derailleurs and hangers are fairly generic. You should be able to get replacements from any bike store.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Thu May 21, 2015 11:55 am

RonK wrote:Derailleurs and hangers are fairly generic. You should be able to get replacements from any bike store.
If only hangers were generic. They don't even seem to stick with the same design for a manufacturer or model. Why they can't just make one or two designs that will fit everything is a mystery to me (actually not much of a mystery given how much some comapnies want to plunder your bank account when you want a spare part)
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Thu May 21, 2015 1:31 pm

RonK wrote:Derailleurs and hangers are fairly generic. You should be able to get replacements from any bike store.
Derailleurs yes, hangers I disagree.

This is a site I have looked at before (though for a boardman replacement derailleur hange, got the replacement direct): derailleurhanger.com

You can select the brands. For this bike (Boardman roadcomp) it suggests hanger #49

Cycling is in my BNA

Ross

Postby Ross » Thu May 21, 2015 1:43 pm

toolonglegs wrote:You probably will need a new chain and maybe a cassette, if the cassette has been on there for a couple of 1000 kms then replace it.
What?! Cassette should be fine if only done 2000km (did you forget a zero?), I get ~30,000km out of a cassette. Chain may be twisted/damaged from the crash and are only worth about $25-$30 so it wouldn't hurt to replace that, just because.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Thu May 21, 2015 2:08 pm

Not really.... Derailleurs for the most part don't play with other brand components, so must match (but within brands are mostly OK). Hangers on the other hand.... With over 200 different shapes, they are most certainly not generic, even by the most liberal definition.

thelittlebattler

Postby thelittlebattler » Thu May 21, 2015 4:04 pm

AUbicycles wrote: This is a site I have looked at before (though for a boardman replacement derailleur hange, got the replacement direct): derailleurhanger.com

You can select the brands. For this bike (Boardman roadcomp) it suggests hanger #49

The properties of the metal used in hangers might be generic? Eposhea, I assume you know by now but just in case: the hanger is designed to bend or snap in order to save the derailleur from catastrophic damage.

Anyway I use derailleurhanger.com too, and always order a spare hanger for times like this. It's an easy enough job to replace out on the road after a crash if you have one on you (reminds me I should probably put one in my tube kit). Definitely looks like you want #49 hanger.

Replacing chain sounds like good advice, and see if you need to replace cassette and/or derailleur mech.

eposhea

Postby eposhea » Fri May 22, 2015 2:31 pm

Eposhea, I assume you know by now but just in case: the hanger is designed to bend or snap in order to save the derailleur from catastrophic damage
Was actually not aware of this at all, thanks! Makes total sense now that you mention it.

Yea, Hanger 49 is the one, I managed to grab one for a good price, just hope material is up to scratch.

So am I able to mix and match derailleurs? I assumed if you are not changing the entire group set that you would need the exact derailleur to match the other components? I would like to upgrade some components if it is possible....again this is the first time I would upgrade, until now I thought buying a new bike was upgrading, didnt even think of just changing parts.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Fri May 22, 2015 3:42 pm

If replacing the rear derailleur the easiet way is to purchase the same brand and speed. IE Shimano 10spd, or SRAM 11spd, Campag 9spd etc. The model shouldnt matter, the more you pay the lighter they get. There is a nominal inmprovement in shifting with a higher spec, but the shifting accuracy bit is largely within the shifters, not so much the derailleur.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

thelittlebattler

Postby thelittlebattler » Fri May 22, 2015 6:57 pm

eposhea wrote: Yea, Hanger 49 is the one, I managed to grab one for a good price, just hope material is up to scratch.

So am I able to mix and match derailleurs? I assumed if you are not changing the entire group set that you would need the exact derailleur to match the other components? I would like to upgrade some components if it is possible....again this is the first time I would upgrade, until now I thought buying a new bike was upgrading, didnt even think of just changing parts.
It'll be fine, so long as it fits the frame.

As Bychosis said above, just need to match the brand and speed. So you have Sram Apex group, grab a Sram Apex/rival 10 speed derailleur. CHECK how many teeth on the largest cog of your casette! If it is 32, you need a long cage derailleur. Usually it's easy to check the derailleur specs for max cog size.

Edit: just saw your comment about upgrading parts... I would keep an eye out for 10speed Sram groupsets (Rival or Force, maybe even Red 2nd hand). If you went 11sp you may have to change wheels too. Eitherway, sticking with Sram would mean you have spares from current Apex group should you need them. Alternatively, Shimano would most likely fit if you wanted to go that way
Last edited by thelittlebattler on Fri May 22, 2015 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Fri May 22, 2015 7:05 pm

eposhea wrote: So am I able to mix and match derailleurs? I assumed if you are not changing the entire group set that you would need the exact derailleur to match the other components?
Mix-&-matching is very possible, as long as you keep the components within one brand; Virtually all components are compatible across different groupset levels, the only real differences are in materials. There are some limitations mixing between components designed for different numbers of gears. There is some compatibility across brands, but only for certain components, so unless you're sure what works & what doesn't, you're best just to stay within the one brand.

Any SRAM derailleur will be fine to replace your existing one.

eposhea

Postby eposhea » Mon May 25, 2015 12:44 pm

thelittlebattler wrote:CHECK how many teeth on the largest cog of your casette! If it is 32, you need a long cage derailleur. Usually it's easy to check the derailleur specs for max cog size
Honestly - this is something I was trying to figure out over the weekend, it was wrecking my head, did not know how to decide medium or long derailleur - thank you for that!
Duck! wrote:Mix-&-matching is very possible, as long as you keep the components within one brand
Brilliant, thank you! Thats good to know! Might have a look at the next level up in Sram instead.

I had a good luck at the bike over the weekend, there does not seem to be any additional damage. Wheels and cassettes are true - I took the rear derailleur off, all the cogs are in pieces, had to cut cable to take off - so another part right there. I went to local bike shop, but the cost of derailleur alone was nearly twice the price of the same one online, so am now going to source parts myself and get a mobile mechanic to fit the parts - hope that works!

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Mon May 25, 2015 1:24 pm

Medium & long cage road rear derailleurs are the same thing, as there are only two lengths available. The terms have become somewhat interchangeable as the longer cage is the same as (or very similar to) the relatively recent medium cage MTB variant. A true long cage is the exclusive domain of MTB gearing.
Last edited by Duck! on Mon May 25, 2015 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thelittlebattler

Postby thelittlebattler » Mon May 25, 2015 1:26 pm

If ordering online, check the size of the replacement cable you get (I don't think Shimano cable will fit). From memory, Sram needs a slightly thinner cable otherwise it won't feed through the shifter properly... and usually best to get new outer housing also. If you replace all of the housing you will need to redo the handlebar tape as well (it runs under the bar tape after exiting the shifter)

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Mon May 25, 2015 1:32 pm

Shimano cables fit fine and work better. The Teflon coating on SRAM cables tends to peel off & clump in the housings, buggering the shifting.

porkupine

Postby porkupine » Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:04 pm

i have an *BRAND NEW* ultegra rear derailleur if needed! :) pm me and we can work something out..

perhaps may have cassette but no chain... depending on what speeds you're looking at 10 or 11...

Ross

Postby Ross » Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:16 pm

Has anyone used NSB brand derailleur hangers from Chain Reaction to know if they are as good as Wheels Manufacturing?