Advice on new wheelset

s.rankin44

Advice on new wheelset

Postby s.rankin44 » Sat May 23, 2015 8:38 am

Hi people looking for any insights anyone could provide.

I'm a recreational bike rider and currently training to complete my first ironman 70.3. I also race a few sprint triathlons throughout the summer as well.

I'm currently riding on my wh-r500 wheelset which came on my bike and am looking to upgrade. I would like to stick with shimano and stay around the $1000 mark.

I'm looking at the dura ace c24, how ever I will also need to upgrade my groupset to fit these on as I'm currently running tiagra nine speed. My other option is rs81 range which is compatible with my current groupset and at their price point will allow me to go up to the c50 model.

My question is which wheelset would be best value for money and provide good performance over long distance rides that incorporate flats, downhills and uphills as I also enjoy to climb on my rides but will also improve my speed when I race.

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Hillsaretheenemy

Re: Advice on new wheelset

Postby Hillsaretheenemy » Sat May 23, 2015 5:31 pm

You can use your current groupset with the C24 9000's they will ship with the required spacer for 9/10 speed cassettes. Given your budget and desire to stay with Shimano they will be your best choice. The RS81 C24 will get you 95% of the performance for 60% of the price or as you pointed out you can go to a deeper dish wheel which will have some aero benefits at the expense of additional weight. Unless your courses have steeper climbs the C50's may be a faster option. Balancing budget, weight and aero when buying wheels is the toughest part. You can usually only get 2 of the 3!

You may also like to consider Fulcrum Racing 3 or Racing Zero and any number of Chinese made carbon clinchers or some custom built wheels with your budget. I've just been thought this process and ended up buying Fulcrum Racing3's. They will arrive this week for $585 aud including Conti GP4000II's and tubes. In the end I couldn't reasonably justify the extra $500 to get Racing Zeros or Duraace C24 for a small weight advantage.

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Sat May 23, 2015 6:56 pm

For tris I would focus on aero well above weight as a factor. RS80/81 C35 or C50 if you want to stay Shimano, but there are plenty of high quality options outside that brand. FLO 60's might squeeze in to your budget.

s.rankin44

Postby s.rankin44 » Sun May 24, 2015 7:35 am

Thanks guys for the feedback I guess my reasoning for wishing to stick with shimano was to help limit my options seeing as though there are so many choices out there. The fulcrum 3's appear to be a good option and after doing some research into FLO they appear to be a very good wheelset also.

I appreciate your sincere input guys.

thecaptn

Postby thecaptn » Sun May 24, 2015 10:10 am

Campy Zondas are pretty much the same as Fulcrum 3's and you can get em for under $400 at times. I have a pair and can't tell much difference to the F 0's performancewise and they're heaps stronger as well. Then there's Fulcrum Quatro's and Campy Scirroco's too, very strong, some aero benefits and cheap. Wiggle had Scirroco's for $280 recently.