First Road Bike for fitness & commuting

jzaf94

First Road Bike for fitness & commuting

Postby jzaf94 » Sun May 24, 2015 1:31 pm

Hi all!

I'm looking at buying my first road bike after years on a mtb. I mainly use the bike for fitness purposes, but ride on paths, tracks, and roads and so I want to get something a bit more road designed.

I've been looking at a few models and here are the ones I have narrowed it down to:

Giant Defy 3

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-au/bik ... 929/76630/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This one is pushing my budget a bit, but I would consider it.

Fuji Sportif 2.3

http://australia.fujibikes.com/bike/details/sportif-23" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have seen these for AUD$700 which is more towards my budget (up to $800)

Giant Cross City 1

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-au/bik ... 941/76667/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I understand that this is a hybrid, but it's on the cards.

My questions are whether or not one can commute with a backpack on a road bike (about 20 km each day, round trip)?

My only concern in buying a hybrid is whether or not I will, after a few months, want to get a full fledged road bike...

It will be primarily for commuting to uni/work and riding for fitness so if anyone has any experience with these bikes or can answer some of my questions, it would be most appreciated :)

Thanks so much for the help!

Jeremy

Ross

Re: First Road Bike for fitness & commuting

Postby Ross » Tue May 26, 2015 7:52 am

jzaf94 wrote:
My questions are whether or not one can commute with a backpack on a road bike (about 20 km each day, round trip)?

My only concern in buying a hybrid is whether or not I will, after a few months, want to get a full fledged road bike...
I commute on a road bike with a back pack about 30km a day, sometimes more if I feel like going the long way.

"Upgraditis" is a very contagious disease, quite likely after a few months you will want something better. It won't matter if you have spent $700 or $7000 you will want either a new bike or at least some better components. Just buy what you can afford now and ride it.

lobstermash

Postby lobstermash » Tue May 26, 2015 11:58 am

I don't like wearing a backpack while commuting on my road bike, but I think I'm in the minority. I do it occasionally, but I avoid it if possible.

If you buy a hybrid after coming off a mtb, you'll likely wonder why you bought a new bike instead of chucking slicks on the mtb.

To hedge your bets, you could get a road bike with rack mounting points, so you can install a rack and panniers to lose the backpack. To get good value out of your budget, have a look at Cell, Reid and BicyclesOnline (Polygon). Bikes like the Reid Osprey Elite are around $600-800 (similar spec to the road bikes you linked).

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Tue May 26, 2015 12:14 pm

+1 to Ross and Lobstermash's comments.

I love the geometry on the Defy. It really is quite a quick bike and nice to ride. Would be nice if you could get to a Defy 2 but sounds like you are struggling to even get to the Defy 3. But out of those 3 options I'd go the Defy.

You may however get some better value out of a Reid Falco Elite or Advanced or possibly a Cell Lapa 2.0 or even one of the Polygon models. They are decent frames with better groupsets (but the frame on the Defy would be better). The wheels on all these bikes are serviceable but not great and would be the first upgrade target I'd be looking at so I wouldn't pay too much attention to them.

Just make sure you can get a good fit on the bike which is all important and the test ride should feel good. Good luck.

Edit: Oh and don't be afraid to check secondhand. Lots of secondhand Defy's around. 2012/2013/2014 models were all pretty similar... Actually I think the Sora was upgraded to STI shifters last year but frame wise still all good and would be a lot cheaper if you look at the Defy1s and 2s.
Last edited by rodneycc on Tue May 26, 2015 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2013 BMC TM SLR01;2013/14 Bianchi Inf CV
2013 Lynskey Helix;2013 XACD Ti Di2
2013 Giant TCR Adv SL1;2014 Giant Defy Adv SL

tez001

Postby tez001 » Tue May 26, 2015 12:20 pm

Commuting on a road bike is fine and that Defy 3 has rack mounts.

I commute on a old road bike and have mounted the rack to the bike using some electrical P clips. Tyres are subjective however once you land on a decent set then a roadie is fine for commuting.

If you are also looking at hybrids, you could put some slicks on your MTB and give that a go, that would be the most cost effective.

grimbo

Postby grimbo » Tue May 26, 2015 12:34 pm

Definitely go for a roadie, heaps more fun.

I commute on a roadie with a backpack. I have the luxury of a locker at work, so only have to bring minimal stuff in each day. Using a regular backpack was pretty awful, especially in summer. I now use a Deuter Race X, which is light and designed to not give you a sweaty back and shoulders. It also comes with a rain cover which is way way handy.
"If I can bicycle, I bicycle" ~David Attenborough

cp123

Postby cp123 » Tue May 26, 2015 1:49 pm

I do 36 .5 each day if I go the shortest route - and I use a backpack. sometimes i'll go a longer route on the way home in summer just for variety.

jaseyjase

Postby jaseyjase » Tue May 26, 2015 3:05 pm

Yep, roadie and backpack here, 17kms each way.

Check out all the tips in terms of commuting with/without end of journey facilities.

Being able to leave shoes/toiletries/clothes is a major boost in terms of how much is on your bike.

I find though once you get riding you rarely think about whats on your back as you're too busy dealing with traffic/riding

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Tue May 26, 2015 5:04 pm

Used back packs myself and panniers. These days it depends on the scenario, but if it's back pack.... ensure its a snug fitting one with plenty of adjustment; a waist and chest strap make for security & stability.

Don't be afraid of drop bars after the MTB. Providing the bike is fitted properly (not some dcikhead shop guy just wanting to shift floor stock as is) Drop bars make for a lot more versatile positioning over a distance. You don't have the variety of terrain as you might do MTBing to keep up your arm circulation.
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

tony.kirk.904

Postby tony.kirk.904 » Tue May 26, 2015 8:55 pm

I was in exactly the same situation a year ago. Got a second hand roadie with a rack and never regretted it. Whichever you go for just make sure it fits well.
Riding with panniers also helps take the pressure off my neck and lower back over longer rides.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Tue May 26, 2015 9:27 pm

Many years ago I used to ride with a back pack. That was when I commutes on a mtb. When I moved to a road bike becuase of a longer commute I got rid of the back pack. When on the hoods and drops it's just to uncomfortable. If you go the road bike option I would suggest looking for some panniers or racks.

carcharias

Postby carcharias » Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:38 pm

This looks good to me....
Cell LAPA 2.0 has a mix of Tiagra/ 105 parts, can mount a rack (although you need wrap around mounts on the seat stays :( ) I think it can fit larger than 25 mm tyres also, which is practical for comfort (your weight comes in here)
Carbon fork
levers/shifters
F&R derailluer

Tiagra
BB Hollowtech II
cassette
brakes

9.7 KG /$899