Fitted Wind/shower proof top

AndyRevill

Fitted Wind/shower proof top

Postby AndyRevill » Mon May 25, 2015 2:16 pm

Hi All,

I think I'm getting soft in my old age so I've decided I need a top to keep out the Hobart chill and showers but not a full on rain jacket. I'd like something along the lines of the Castelli Gabba 2 which by all accounts is the bees knees, however it is heading towards $300. Does anyone have any direct comparison between this and say the Ground Effect Turbine, which seems to be a similar concept and got good reviews on here, it's "only" $180 and I've been impressed with other bits of their gear. Anything else I should look at?

Cheers, Andy
Trek 1.7 dec.
Trek Domane 4.5

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Fitted Wind/shower proof top

Postby AUbicycles » Mon May 25, 2015 4:34 pm

Can't comment on the Castelli but give the Ground Effect turbine a thumbs up. Good for varied temperatures though it has its limits for rain proofing, fantastic wind proofing and regulation temperature to keep you comfortable, but this breathability also means for a complete rainproof solution, heavy rain will eventially get through. You can look up my review on BNA.
Cycling is in my BNA

cage

Postby cage » Mon May 25, 2015 4:43 pm

Found this on the Ground Effect Turbine...just fast forward to 2.23

https://youtu.be/mEF0m9Wqck0
If drivers and riders spent more time worrying about their responsibilities than their rights then roads would be far safer.

Hendo55

Postby Hendo55 » Mon May 25, 2015 9:04 pm

I have a BBB ghost skin that works well

AndyRevill

Postby AndyRevill » Mon May 25, 2015 9:04 pm

Thanks for the replies,

I'd already read your nice review which sparked my interest and the vid seems to confirm it might be just what I need - if it works in Christchurch then it should work in Hobart :D

Cheers, Andy
Trek 1.7 dec.
Trek Domane 4.5

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Tue May 26, 2015 10:32 am

Fantastic - I wore a Ground Effect Turbine in the South and North Island of NZ. If I recall, for really chilly conditions, you may have a few km's when you start out where you are a bit cold though once your body starts to warm from cycling it is spot-on.

No longer on the mobile, so I can also put in the link to the review for other readers:
The Ground Effect Turbine and Frosty Boys Jackets in Review

One small update, I now have a blue (cyan) coloured turbine which I personally like more than the red (as a matter of opinion).
Cycling is in my BNA

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue May 26, 2015 11:07 am

I have a Jetson - the sleeveless version of the Turbine. Used it in NZ spring rain and snow showers. Highly recommended. For visibility I like the red.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

AndyRevill

Postby AndyRevill » Tue May 26, 2015 12:21 pm

RonK wrote:I have a Jetson - the sleeveless version of the Turbine. Used it in NZ spring rain and snow showers. Highly recommended. For visibility I like the red.
Thanks, good to know.

I'm conflicted on colour - I like the blue as a colour but the others might be better for visibility, though I do have a very bright red flashing rear light :D

Cheers, Andy
Trek 1.7 dec.
Trek Domane 4.5

caneye

Postby caneye » Tue May 26, 2015 1:28 pm

is the GE Draft Dodger overkill?

http://www.groundeffect.co.nz/product/UNF/DRA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AndyRevill

Postby AndyRevill » Tue May 26, 2015 1:53 pm

caneye wrote:is the GE Draft Dodger overkill?

http://www.groundeffect.co.nz/product/UNF/DRA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks for the suggestion similar idea but It's not a fitted top so will be a bit looser - it's in their "unfashion" range, more for MTB/Urban

cheers, Andy
Trek 1.7 dec.
Trek Domane 4.5

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Tue May 26, 2015 9:25 pm

My perception is that blue is still quite visible - of course the warning colours red and yellow beat blue, but it is a vibrant blue and it has reflective parts as well.
Cycling is in my BNA

mogwaiboi

Postby mogwaiboi » Wed May 27, 2015 6:19 pm

I've been wanting a Gabba for a while. Noticed last Sunday they were 25% off at Wiggle so I jumped at the chance. Ended up getting it for $178 - still expensive but from what I've read will be worth it.
Avoiding pissed of bogans in SUV's...

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Wed May 27, 2015 7:01 pm

+1 on the Gabba, have the original version, thoroughly recommend it. First one cost me over $230, best bit of cycling gear I own. I scored another from Evans on special at $140 (the yellow version).

It is not completely waterproof, 30 minutes in heavy rain, you will be wet but warm. Raced for two hours in heavy rain, lost half the field, but I was warm and comfortable (except my feet).

The downside of the yellow version is it shows the road muck. One wet day and you have grey stripe up your back, needs regular washing, but it has survived.

Is my goto jersey on wet days or days below 10C, below 8C with merino base layer and arm warmers

Hillsaretheenemy

Postby Hillsaretheenemy » Thu May 28, 2015 10:54 am

I love my Gabba, fits like a well thought out Jersey and keeps the cold wind and rain out. As others have said, keep your eyes out online and the LS version can be had under $200. Highly Recommended. Another less expensive option could be the DHB (wiggle) Windslam Blade http://www.this link is broken.au/dhb-windslam-b ... ve-jersey/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; my wife has the women's version and loves it. Probably not as waterproof as the Gabba but very reasonably priced and gets great reviews.

2wheels_mond

Postby 2wheels_mond » Thu May 28, 2015 11:04 am

nickobec wrote:The downside of the yellow version is it shows the road muck. One wet day and you have grey stripe up your back, needs regular washing, but it has survived.
Have you tried out one of those little ass-saver mudguards, like these?

http://www.this link is broken.au/ass-saver-ass-saver-extended/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nothing like full mudguards of course, but it'll stop the stripe on your back and water down the back of your shorts.

caneye

Postby caneye » Thu May 28, 2015 11:08 am

+1. Love my Gabba LS too.
I find the BEST thing about the Gabba is that .. it not only keeps you warm when cold, but it keeps you cool when warm. prevents overheating.

there was a special in Bikeexchange last year and the LS one was around $180 from a local VIC shop.

AndyRevill

Postby AndyRevill » Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:07 pm

Thought I'd give an update. I had a quick look around but there didn't seems to be any Gabbas on special and truth be known I was probably leaning towards the Turbine anyway as I've been impressed with other bits of Ground Effect gear and I like the fact they're made in NZ. So last Thursday ordered myself a Turbine in Red (toss up between Blue or Red - family was split 50:50) and it arrived on Tuesday, first ride today, temp was 11C, apparent temp 6C - perfect for the first go. Wore it with a Submerino underneath and I love it! Nice and tight fitting, probably a bit warm uphill but perfect going down - couldn't be happier :D

Cheers, Andy
Trek 1.7 dec.
Trek Domane 4.5

Tim

Postby Tim » Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:50 pm

I am a real fan of Ground Effect gear in terms of performance. I have numerous merino and fleece tops, gloves, socks and shorts. Excellent quality stuff, generally.
But.
In my opinion the Turbine is a waste of money. Expensive. About as breathable as a plastic bag. Water-resistant for around 10 minutes, then it leaks like a sieve. The sleeve zipper ventilation system is relatively ineffective, pit zippers work much better on other jackets. Even with the main front zip three quarters open I sweat like a pig around the arm pits and on the back at temperatures anywhere above 12 degrees. The stitching has pulled around the rear pockets, the material is very delicate and has torn despite the fact I am very careful with my gear.
I don't recommend it.
I have minor gripes about the quality of the hem overlocking on some of GE's other shirts too. As mentioned I am gentle with my expensive gear but several shirts have loose threading around the hems where the stitching has pulled. This doesn't happen on most of my other cycling clothes.
Sorry Andy but that has been my experience of the Turbine after two winters of irregular use. Treat the jacket with care.
I keep returning to my four year old Pearl Izumi Elite Barrier jacket for wind and shower resistance. At a quarter of the price of the Turbine I find it far more practical. It doesn't breath very well but when things heat up the jacket comes off and rolls into a rear jersey pocket with ease. If it's really wet I wear a proper eVent Showerspass rain jacket which is a brilliantly performing water and wind PROOF piece of kit.

caneye

Postby caneye » Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:06 am

AndyRevill wrote:Thought I'd give an update. I had a quick look around but there didn't seems to be any Gabbas on special and truth be known I was probably leaning towards the Turbine anyway as I've been impressed with other bits of Ground Effect gear and I like the fact they're made in NZ. So last Thursday ordered myself a Turbine in Red (toss up between Blue or Red - family was split 50:50) and it arrived on Tuesday, first ride today, temp was 11C, apparent temp 6C - perfect for the first go. Wore it with a Submerino underneath and I love it! Nice and tight fitting, probably a bit warm uphill but perfect going down - couldn't be happier :D

Cheers, Andy

any more updates after a few winter weeks? :D

AndyRevill

Postby AndyRevill » Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:59 am

A month in and still loving it! I've worn it every ride since it arrived, probably averaging 4-5 rides per week. As I said initially I wore my Submerino underneath but that was probably overkill (until it gets really cold) and have moved to using thinner baselayers. I have several good quality synthetic ones I use for bushwalking (long and short sleeves) and they've been perfect in the temperatures so far (averaging 10-14 with apparent temps around 6). I find it does such a good job of blocking the wind that I don't need much underneath - I tend to be a "warm" person anyway.

If I get a bit warm going uphill (e.g. up the mountain) I've used the front zip and arm zips to let some air in and that seems fine. The arm zips are a bit different but I've found them to be good - relatively easy to open and close while keeping one hand on the bars and air flows in and up under the jacket so you get some cooling. Can't say if pit zips would be better but I think they'd be harder to open and close while moving. The jacket does breathe, as shown by how much condensation there is on anything in the back pocket (lucky the phone is in a waterproof case) but like anything it can't be 100% breathable, hence a good base layer is important.

Only thing I haven't experienced yet is showers on my ride (should have bought it sooner :D ) but my impression is it will hold off light stuff but will give out to anything heavy, which is what I expected (it's not touted as waterproof) but I'll follow up when it does happen.

Everything else seems good so far - no problems with the seams, as others have said the back pockets while elasticated do seem a bit "tight" compared to a traditional jersey so I am conscious of using care when putting things in and taking them out.

Cheers, Andy
Trek 1.7 dec.
Trek Domane 4.5