Rethinking Winter (lower body) kit, Advice please?

kenwstr

Rethinking Winter (lower body) kit, Advice please?

Postby kenwstr » Sat Jun 06, 2015 3:21 pm

To date, I have been making do with gear I already have for other outdoor activities. In many cases this doesn't fit to well now that I have lost weight so isn't as warm and isn't designed for the activity level. So I am revising things from scratch to then see what I most need and am after some advice.

Activity: road bike 140 km/week longest regular ride around 70 km ATM
Temperature: 0C and up
Rain, What little there is inland, tends to be mostly light drizzel in winter, isolated storms in summer.
I usually try to avoid wet weather so it has minimal impact.
Cost effective value for durability and comfort.

I already have 2 sets of long thermals, both are size M and I am now definitely S:
Sherpa polypropylene, is older and pilled and looks like underwear.
Shugpak 2nd skins, a relaxed fit, high wicking Cool max and have a finish that is semi acceptable as outwear though it pulls threads easily.

If it's cool, I use the Snukpak pants under knicks as these slow the wind enough to keep the chill off.
If it's very cold, I add a pair of compression skins over the Snugpak longs. This gives pretty good wind protection and warmth while dissipating excess moisture well. However, the skins are a recovery compression, not an activity garment. They do have a small but noticeable detrimental effect on speed. Also, all these garments have an elastic waste which is increasingly uncomfortable over time.

I don't like the idea of warmers as they can leave layering a bit thin and cool around the knicks area.

What I am thinking of is getting a skin fit base layer, new padded knicks as the older ones are getting a bit compressed and a set of long unpaded bib tights to go over the knicks. This should produce 4 possible combinations for different conditions hopefully covering from zero C and up.

Base Layer: dhb seamless base layer tight, mid weight, S.
Bib Tights: dhb Vaeon Roubaix unpaded bib tight, S.
Knicks: Aeron Pro cycling shorts, S.

So, what do you think, is it a viable, simple and cost effective system to achieve objectives?
Is the base layer OK or need a heavier weight?
Are they cost effective for durability?
Any substantially more cost effective products?

Ken

gabrielle260

Re: Rethinking Winter (lower body) kit, Advice please?

Postby gabrielle260 » Sat Jun 06, 2015 4:00 pm

Ken, I don't know the DhB products you list specifically but like most of the DhB products I've tried. In cold weather I use super Roobaix three quarter length bib and brace Knicks from Prendas Cyclismo and haven't never had cold legs.

2wheels_mond

Postby 2wheels_mond » Sat Jun 06, 2015 6:07 pm

Don't bother with the unpadded tights, go for leg or knee warmers instead. You don't tend to feel the cold between the chest and the legs, especially as long as you've got a mudguard of some sort to prevent water flicking up onto the bum (even those little Ass Saver things help).

Ross

Postby Ross » Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:12 pm

You shouldn't need 3 layers, I ride in -7 with DHB super roubaix long bib knicks (unpadded) over regular whatever brand bib knicks.

kenwstr

Postby kenwstr » Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:38 am

Perhaps 3 layers may be overkill. However, there is a temp range where I like to wear a long base layer under nicks. As a base layer is inexpensive and my camping/fishing ones are now too large and impinge on the waist while in a riding position, I will be getting these cycling specific ones anyway. The next step down in temp is wind blocking tights to use with the knicks for the pad. Padded tights are more expensive & the knicks already have this so, why pay more for what in not really necessary? Beside, bib tight is a little extra protection & easier on the waist. Whether all 3 together are nesessary is another question but given the above, it remains a 4th option. In any case I found 3 layers occasionall good cold protection last winter on especially nasty days or at night after work. Perhaps, what I had used was not as warm or perhaps at 61 kg I just don' t have the energy output that some do. In any case, I don't see a compelling reason against this purchase. Even if I went for warmers, I'd probablystill have to get long tights for the coldest conditions here anyway.

Thanks for the input, I think it confirms my understanding of the, pros & cons. This this system seems to be the one I am happiest to go with for now.

Ken

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:30 pm

It gets down to -1 or 2 here at its coldest. I find as long as I have my upper body sorted with a good base layer and windproof thermal jacket the legs are fine in normal bibs and some roubaix leg warmers. I have these that I got from one of the UK online stores. I am 184cm and 75kg and an M fits well.
I have several sets of biblongs but don't find myself using them as they are too warm for the trip home in the evening.
I suffer cold extremities so thick neoprene shoecovers and ski gloves are required on the cold mornings. Legs are the engine room so tend to generate a bit of heat and leg warmers suffice.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:49 pm

As everyone else has said, roubaix is super toasty.

I still have issues with the front area though (the front of the hip) it still gets stupidly cold so contrary to most people I keep the undies on if it;s super cold.
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
Bike crushed by car (RIP)
No brakes bike
Ebike

brawlo

Postby brawlo » Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:22 am

I wouldn't worry about the wind blocking tights. But it also depends on how much heat you generate when you're riding. I create a lot of heat and have a set of Assos wind blocking tights. On anything but the coldest of crappy days, they're just too hot to wear. They rarely get used unfortunately. I would also recommend just the padded long bibs rather than both longs and shorts. You look at it as bring extra for the pad, but in effect you're wearing out 2 garments rather than just the one, and so you'll have to replace both quicker than you would normally. I don't know your price range, but I've picked up some pretty good value Castelli long winter bibs from Torpedo7 lately. The chamois suits my butt well, so I favour them. The DHB stuff, while possibly good, has too many hit and miss reports to be worth the gamble for me when I know others that aren't a whole lot more expensive that area guaranteed comfortable ride.

Incidentally, on top I ride with Castelli nanoflex arm warmers teamed with a wool baselayer under a regular jersey and a gillett to top it off. Good gloves and booties are a must too. I ride down to -7 and that works really well. If the wind blows hard off the snowy mountains, a jacket or softshell will usually replace the gillett with long sleeve wool underneath.

kenwstr

Postby kenwstr » Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:44 pm

My order arrived today so after a meeting, then late dinner I tried it all out on the bike path between showers. As expected too warm for tonight 9 deg but not terribly so. Excellently comfy except the base layer top is a little odd around the arm pits but everything else is just wonderful. A little experimenting should have the temp ranges sorted.

Ken

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:54 pm

kenwstr wrote:... Excellently comfy except the base layer top is a little odd around the arm pits
As a base layer I really like my Ground Effect Thermos - thick windproof front and thin around the back.

Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

kenwstr

Postby kenwstr » Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:43 pm

Thoglette wrote:
kenwstr wrote:... Excellently comfy except the base layer top is a little odd around the arm pits
As a base layer I really like my Ground Effect Thermos - thick windproof front and thin around the back.

I don't see any point to a blocking base layer. If it is the only layer, then it's a very hot day with the heat beating up from the tarmac and I want all the ventilation I can get to stay cool. I already have a PI base T for this but the new base is long sleeve strictly for under the jersey when it's cold. I rely on outwear for most wind and rain blocking perhaps a little blocking in the jersey for in between conditions.

Ken

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:01 pm

kenwstr wrote:I don't see any point to a blocking base layer. ... I rely on outwear for most wind and rain blocking perhaps a little blocking in the jersey for in between conditions.
Horses for courses. I find this very useful under the jersey on frosty mornings - days that warrant proper gloves, a beanie and overbooties.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ